How many years is a laptop specs behind a mainframe computer

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm not good at explaining my self but say a mainframe can do so many calculations a minute. How many years will it take for the avg laptop to do the same amount of calculations

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It takes about a decade for consumer electronics to catch up with supercomputers when released; the refrigerator-sized liquid-cooled Cray-2 listed below is the supercomputer used to make the original Tron movie - your phone is now more powerful.
vL89iPD.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
It takes about a decade for consumer electronics to catch up with supercomputers when released; the refrigerator-sized liquid-cooled Cray-2 listed below is the supercomputer used to make the original Tron movie - your phone is now more powerful.
vL89iPD.png

Cool I love computer history I loved computers even before I had one. I used to watch Leo Laporte and at the time I did not have a computer. Till my sister gave me her old pc. Then I wanted a faster one so I built one

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I started in elementary school on the Apple IIs in the 80's, was putting together my own PCs in the 90's, so I was pretty well-versed in what Leo was talking about back when The Screen Savers was on; that was around the time Unreal Tournament 2004 came out, which I played well enough to get paid for for a while. My Pentium II PC at that time was just a budget model, but I put a fanless video card in it that had a massive heatsink the size of a piece of bread; it wasn't a good fit in a poor-airflow budget case and the card usually cruised at 90 degrees celsius, but it held up.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive tried to goggle how many tflops the apple a12 bionic has .but i had no luck do you know?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
The guesstimates hover around ~1 Tflop; in raw multi-CPU horsepower it pulls harder than the i7:
MR5Q5GA.png

i have the a12 in my ipad air. it is so dang fast the weird thing is it dont even get hot while bench marking. im a geek so i love it but im not to sure if i like ios

StarHalo

Flashaholic
i have the a12 in my ipad air. it is so dang fast the weird thing is it dont even get hot while bench marking. im a geek so i love it but im not to sure if i like ios

The A12X in the iPad Pro runs the gaming benchmarks pretty much even with the current Xbox One S.

My experience with iOS has been a lot smoother than with Android or Windows. Not long ago I drove to and from the coast, more than an hour each way; the kids had their Kindles in the back tethered to my iPhone providing the wifi hotspot, AND I was using Waze to give me GPS + traffic directions, AND I was streaming music over Spotify to play in the car - one phone did all that all at the same time for a few hours without skipping a beat, and it was an older iPhone.