[Review] Streamlight ProTac 90 (Right angle, 1xAA or 1xCR123A, forward clicky switch)

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
P4050496.JPG
Streamlight released a new light that caught my eye - the ProTac 90. This is a right angle EDC light that can run off of either a single AA or CR123A cell, two of the most commonly available batteries. It's controlled with a forward clicky switch, making it one of the few headlamps with an easily accessible momentary mode. In my testing, I found that their 'low' mode is not quite low enough for my liking. I would also love to see a version of this light with a tail magnet added, but that might be wishful thinking.

Here's my review for anyone wanting to know more:
www.bmengineer.com/2019/04/streamlight-protac-90.html

IMG_20190406_102320.jpg

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

Is Streamlight offering a head strap for this light?

Looks like it might work with the head strap for the Compact 2 if it had a straight clip like on the Polytac 90, or maybe the S clip will work anyway?

BTW why does the Protac 90 have an S clip? Are you supposed to be able to clip it to a hat somehow??

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I love the ability to run different size cells. It just makes sense to me. I have been thinking of getting the straight head version of this. I only own one streamlight but the build quality seems great

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the ability to run different size cells. It just makes sense to me. I have been thinking of getting the straight head version of this. I only own one streamlight but the build quality seems great

I have the straight version - great light. Will run on AAA's in addition to AA's and CR123s.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya that's right with a little foil AAA will work as well.i tell you everyone should own at least one good AA light.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya that's right with a little foil AAA will work as well.i tell you everyone should own at least one good AA light.

You don't need any foil with the 1L-1AA to run a AAA, just drop the AAA in and screw on the cap, all you have to do is make sure that the spring is on the base of the AAA when you screw it on. Works fine with AAA's - no rattle or other issues except for shorter runtimes compared to AA's.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

Is Streamlight offering a head strap for this light?

Looks like it might work with the head strap for the Compact 2 if it had a straight clip like on the Polytac 90, or maybe the S clip will work anyway?

BTW why does the Protac 90 have an S clip? Are you supposed to be able to clip it to a hat somehow??

Not the OP but I've had this light for a few weeks now. I don't think the S clip has anything to do with a hat brim, it's more about how the light hangs when clipped to something. Depending on where you clip it, it sometimes works better in the up or down position.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight a couple of years back started using higher lows to allow significantly longer runtimes on high while still providing plenty of useable light for short distances.

If I recall correct it was about the time ProTac HL4 was released.

They also got away from copy paper white beams to a more natural tint about that time. They also started using thicker o'rings for a tighter fasten and fixed the issue where a less than one degree loosen of the tailcap would cut power issue that plagued a number of otherwise good lights they made.

I really like the switch on this one. And I'm glad to see they stuck with the 1L 1aa dual fuel approach.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
Not the OP but I've had this light for a few weeks now. I don't think the S clip has anything to do with a hat brim, it's more about how the light hangs when clipped to something. Depending on where you clip it, it sometimes works better in the up or down position.
I'd echo this. Head down makes sense for in a pocket, but head up is useful on a chest strap.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You don't need any foil with the 1L-1AA to run a AAA, just drop the AAA in and screw on the cap, all you have to do is make sure that the spring is on the base of the AAA when you screw it on. Works fine with AAA's - no rattle or other issues except for shorter runtimes compared to AA's.

Really? It can take AAA without a spacer? Well that's good to know thanks

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? It can take AAA without a spacer? Well that's good to know thanks

Kinda slick how it works. The AAA is long enough to get good spring pressure and the spring pressure is enough to hold it in place without moving around.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
bmengineer, do you still have this light?

If yes, what are your thoughts after owning it for 5 months?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think they'll make a polymer version of this light?

The current polymer right angle light isn't a ten-tap UI (unless I'm reading their site incorrectly).

--flatline

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
bmengineer, do you still have this light?

If yes, what are your thoughts after owning it for 5 months?
I don't actually, but sometimes I wish I did. The dooofy periscope shape without a magnet or a headband limited the functionality for me. I do sort of wish I held on to it though - great build quality, no standby drain, and the LED would have been easy to swap.

Did you have any specific questions?