AAA twisty needs extra grip, Any ideas?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an MJP Extreme. I really like it but twisting one hand is difficult. The knurling is a bit low for my hand.
What can I put on it for extra grip that won't ruin its looks or make it to thick??
I looked for some shrink tubing in 1/2 but I didn't want $12-15 bucks worth of it. Not sure that would work.
So I looked for some elastic band but did not find anything. So any ideas??
Here is the light, 4 th one from left
AAA lay by Paul, on Flickr
Right now I am using a plastic tip from hardware store, I cut the top to make a band, but its uneven and a bit thicker than I prefer.
Thanks so far for all the tips! I am going to try and find some 3/8 silicone tubing?

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've got an MJP Extreme. I really like it but twisting one hand is difficult. The knurling is a bit low for my hand.
What can I put on it for extra grip that won't ruin its looks or make it to thick??
I looked for some shrink tubing in 1/2 but I didn't want $12-15 bucks worth of it. Not sure that would work.
So I looked for some elastic band but did not find anything. So any ideas??

Have you tried using some lubricant on the Oring of the light.... like silicone grease?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
How about slipping some tight fitting O-rings around the body? Can get them in different colors as well.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the ideas.
I have cleaned and use nyogel on threads. It seems that once you use it it's looser. When sitting the lube get thicker/stiff.
Plastidip I like that idea.
I tried orings but it felt strange to use.
Keep the ideas coming!
I think lumintop worms came with a silicone band??
Maybe I can find some silicon tubing?

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no clue what this light even looks like?

I use Ranger Bands though sometimes when I get one that I want to have a better grip of for whatever reason.

You can get Bike Tire Tubes that are bad for free from bike stores and just cut a tube to your length and slip it onto the light and see how that feels.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If nothing else super glue would work. And also guarantee that you don't lose your light 😁

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If nothing else super glue would work. And also guarantee that you don't lose your light 😁

They were sold on here many moons ago.they are very nice light but first thing I noticed about them was the knurling on them looking very smooth. It's almost more like a pattern then raised knurling

scout24

Flashaholic
I have a supply of 1/2" shrink tubing if you'd like to try some. PM me your address and I'll pop a piece in the mail... :)

Plain black, fyi...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have done my best w/ the shrink-wrap tubing on the ~hexagonal LD01's and the finely-knurled ARC-AAA; it seems to work for a while, then starts to slip. Not worth the effort IMO

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jon
Good lnfo.

A trip to local hardware store, I was looking for silicone tubing, but came across this edge protector, in 1/2 inch, and color is decent!
I just cut the end with a razor blade. Not Bad. Much easier to turn on with one hand now:grin2: And easy to know which end is the front:laughing:

, on Flickr

Last edited:

Joelives

Newly Enlightened
A microstream aaa clip with the clip cut off will clamp right on the head . There $2 and you can also just put the whole clip on the head and it will ride lense up .