Home Made "Steam Punk" Flashlight :)

whiteshepherd

Newly Enlightened
One of my many poor man's flashlight projects! lol I was wanting to get my brother a present for his birthday and funds were tight. I know he had mentioned he would like a bright flashlight and I know he is into steampunk. So I decided to be creative and built my brother a neat and BRIGHT Steam Punk flashlight for his birthday. I made it out of all recycled parts. The front spot light was a LED high beam from my dead old car. The 250 watt side flood light is a LED panel to an office overhead light. The wood is leftover ply wood and I used leftover stain from my kitchen cabinets. The handle is brass from a old defunct dresser. The knob is a old 5 position stereo knob that switches the lights Off, front low/high, and side low/high. I put 3 magnets on the side so the light could be stuck to the hood of a car for work or other objects for flood lighting. Was a fun project from spare parts and has a old time + new steampunk look. My brother really liked it. It's powered by 10 NiMH high capacity D cells (12 volts) anchored inside. I know it's not professional. Just a hobby throw together for fun. What do you all think?

Here it is complete.
spfl-complete.jpg

Other side view.
spfl-side.jpg

Testing the side LED panel. It puts out a LOT of light. Lights a room like daylight. :)

spfl-test.jpg

Got the spotlight (LED car headlight high beam) mounted.

spfl-spotlight.jpg

parametrek

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums! That is a seriously impressive 1st post.

I have some concerns about the COB. With no cooling it probably shouldn't run at more than 10 watts. And they are fragile. It is easy to break bond wires by poking the surface of the COB. Maybe consider adding a roll cage?

whiteshepherd

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of the cage. I will have to get with my brother on that one as he has it now. The cob thick aluminum back plate gets warm. But not too hot to prevent touch. I have made several home made and hybrid flashlights I've been thinking of posting. :)

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Needs copper and brass plating and functional gears with some smoke emitter

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of the cage. I will have to get with my brother on that one as he has it now. The cob thick aluminum back plate gets warm. But not too hot to prevent touch. I have made several home made and hybrid flashlights I've been thinking of posting. :)

Post them up! I love this stuff.