The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: HDS Pocket Mate? Ode to the HDS EDC Flashlight

Default Re: HDS Pocket Mate? Ode to the HDS EDC Flashlight

I thought I knew what a pocket knife was, but I was obviously mistaken. I think I'm officially a CRK fanboy. The experience thus far is closely akin to unboxing my first HDS. I will no longer accept any substitute.

How are you guys keeping your blades sharp? I'm looking at the Edge Pro Apex. I own bench stones but I lack the coordination for freehand sharpening. Thoughts?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Default HDS Pocket Mate? Ode to the HDS EDC Flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I thought I knew what a pocket knife was, but I was obviously mistaken. I think I'm officially a CRK fanboy. The experience thus far is closely akin to unboxing my first HDS. I will no longer accept any substitute.

How are you guys keeping your blades sharp? I'm looking at the Edge Pro Apex. I own bench stones but I lack the coordination for freehand sharpening. Thoughts?
    Congrats modernflame! The Inkosi is indeed a beautiful knife, and the unboxing experience is awesome. The Sebenza 21 Small has prevented me from purchasing many other knives akin to my HDS and flashlights - for better or for worse.

You can always send it in to CRK for their “Spa” treatment for free. They’ll sharpen the blade, reblast the scales, etc.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Congrats modernflame!
    Thanks, Theo! By the way, you've got a cool YouTube channel.

To be honest I'm kinda surprised by how popular CRK is here, since to my mind at least HDS and CRK are totally different design philosophies. CRK is more like McGizmo or Okluma.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

It’s like someone has had that in his sigline for years... haha

McG and CRK are a great pairing but I think in general high quality items go well together so HDS is fair game too.

I see CRK and HDS as best of the best functional designs. McG and Okl are both flash. Wish I could carry a CRK, other than an Impinda, around these parts of the Country.

Practice, practice and once again practice

I started with this video, in my opinion the best for a beginner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfuRFcOl2mw

I check the sharpness on the nail, putting a knife to the nail at 30-45 degrees to the vertical and press sideways, if it does not slide off, it means quite sharply.

I have lots of things to keep sharp, and each requires different things.
    Yes, that is a bayonet for an Uzi. An Uzi without a bayonet is like a frog without shoes.

A few of the tools to make things separate matter separate it better....

For straight knives, I think the Spyderco Sharpmaker or Crock Sticks work quite well and is very easy to get good with.

Flat stones take a lot more practice, but those are the only things you can use for straight razors.

The Ken Onion Work Sharp is great... but practice on old knives as anything like this can remove more metal than you want if you are not very careful.

Once you get good with the WorkSharp, it is one of the fastest and easiest ways to get a really good edge on things.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

It makes sense that someone would pair an HDS with a Sebenza. HDS lights don't perform better than lights costing 1/5 as much, and Sebenzas don't cut better than knives costing 1/5 as much. Its all about the bling and the feel good.

Default HDS Pocket Mate? Ode to the HDS EDC Flashlight

I guess if you are stripping it down to just lumens and cutting, sure, but there’s a lot of quality and design work that goes into the construction of those items that doesn’t go into a cheap item. I wouldn’t call that bling, really, but others may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    A few of the tools to make things separate matter separate it better....
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll pick up a Sharpmaker, but that won't be my only sharpening solution. Definitely leaning toward the Edge Pro, or some other such system.

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle View Post
    It makes sense that someone would pair an HDS with a Sebenza. HDS lights don't perform better than lights costing 1/5 as much, and Sebenzas don't cut better than knives costing 1/5 as much. Its all about the bling and the feel good.
    I get where you're coming from, but I don't see either CRK or HDS as blingy. From my perspective, both are trustworthy, hard working tools that manage to avoid being either tacticool or blingy. It's a rare balance.

That's why I just drink hand sanitizer that has ethyl alcohol as the main ingredient. People who buy expensive booze are just showing off the bottle.
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic*

Hand sanitizer costs more than Brut cologne now. You are wasting your money. And you get that piney flavor from the Brut aftershave you never get from hand sanitizer.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Hand sanitizer costs more than Brut cologne now. You are wasting your money. And you get that piney flavor from the Brut aftershave you never get from hand sanitizer.
    Ohhhh! Poor man's gin! I'm off to Walmart!
    I play with dead things

If one is evaluating a working product on two dimensions and one of them is money it is very easy to rationalize a good decision. When one evaluates adding a third and fourth and fifth dimension decision making is a significantly more complex.

For example, I can purchase a knife that cuts well for $10 but what if I want a knife that cuts well that I can use daily and it will last for ten years. Or, I can purchase a flashlight that will light up the area in front of me for $30 but what if I want a flashlight that will also be programmable in the field, I can use for five hours daily, and it will last for ten years.

WARNING: When a person decides to purchase a quality (HDS) flashlight or (CRK) knife for the first time they will be both impressed and disappointed. Impressed with the quality of the new purchase and disappointed because their entire collection of previously owned items just became significantly devalued. S/he will likely never purchase a lower quality flashlight or knife again.

Chris Reeve Shop Tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QiEnhA3n0A
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-26-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: add warning

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    If one is evaluating a working product on two dimensions and one of them is money it is very easy to rationalize a good decision. When one evaluates adding a third and fourth and fifth dimension decision making is a significantly more complex.

For example, I can purchase a knife that cuts well for $10 but what if I want a knife that cuts well that I can use daily and it will last for ten years. Or, I can purchase a flashlight that will light up the area in front of me for $30 but what if I want a flashlight that will also be programmable in the field, I can use for five hours daily, and it will last for ten years.
    Yes! Another example of a dimension beyond initial cost is a bit more difficult to nail down but I’ll just call it “peace of mind”. I have absolutely no doubt my HDS will work when needed. If it does not work, I have a company that will respond quickly and professionally to make it work again.

I don’t own any “bling” type knives, mostly boring run-of-the-mill Bucks, Schrades, SAK’s, Leatherman’s (Leather-MEN?) but this thread has spurned a little curiosity on my part...those Chris Reeves units look real nice...my wallet is getting nervous...

For now, any HDS I carry is always accompanied by my humble Leatherman Micra which is attached to a Maratac Copper AAA...but that’s because it’s been in my pocket much longer than I’ve owned an HDS...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Leatherman makes a fine multitool, I have several, and have them around all the time. One of the better ones out there in quality, IMO, and has great customer service. I think they make a fine compliment for an HDS for those who need the functionality. No shame there!

I have a Leatherman Raptor that I carry in a Thors Custom Leather Holster when I travel by car long distances. Need to do this because the knife laws in the States (CT, NY, NJ, PA, and OH) I travel through are ridiculous. The primary purpose of this tool is to cut a seat belt and break out car window class in case I get into an accident or witness another accident and I am first on scene. Strapped and trapped in a tin gas can is no way to check out. In a typical trip of 1,200 highway miles I see at least one accident, car or truck flipped over or off the road, and have been first on scene more than once.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-26-2019 at 07:30 AM.

The new Leatherman Free P4 is incredible! The first multi-tool I have carried in years.
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

I've been carrying the Charge Ti for years. Can't beat it.
    Keep a SAK Mini Champ Alox on the keychain as well.
    There is very little you can't do with those two tools... though I think I use the bottle open the most!
    I play with dead things

Some questions for the CRK owners.

This thread got me interested in the possibility of purchasing a CRK small Inkosi.

1. would you do carbon fiber or stay with plain for better wear over time - either is available new.
    2. any concern about the warranty and service of CRK products now that Chris is no longer involved (I noticed that orders from the Factory are back ordered have a 4 month lead time)?
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-26-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Yeah

This thread got me interested in the possibility of purchasing a CRK small Inkosi.

1. would you do carbon fiber or stay with plain for better wear over time - either is available new.
    2. any concern about the warranty and service of CRK products now that Chris is no longer involved (I noticed that orders from the Factory are back ordered have a 4 month lead time)?
    I prefer titanium to carbon fiber. I don’t know how the carbon fiber scales will wear over time but I like the character titanium scales take on as they develop snail trails. Also, I know you can send in titanium to have the scales reblasted and I’m not sure you have that option with carbon fiber.

With respect to the state of the company, they are better than ever in my opinion. Tim Reeve has his finger on the pulse of the community and has been releasing new and exciting versions we’ve all been asking for (kinda like Hogo and HDS). Anyways, the quality is as good as it’s always been as is the customer service. Buy with confidence. Also, just to squash the rumor, Tim has publicly stated that his father retired. In other words, he didn’t lose the company in the divorce.

Well, I'm new to the tribe, so take my feedback with a grain of salt. The titanium scales are incredibly tough in a way that the carbon fiber can never be, even though I'm sure their carbon fiber is top quality. For me, I love the classic look of the plain titanium scales. I prefer them to anything with an inlay, etc. As to the second question, my Inkosi has a birth date in March of 2018 and the tolerances are as tight as a snare drum. Probably tighter, since I don't know much about snare drums.

I do understand how knife laws in your area will affect your decision. While I never inherited southern culture, I appreciate the laws here. I live in a place where there are essentially no illegal knives.

Congrats! Sounds like they snagged you good, being you're already considering a sm sebenza. Sm sebenza is large enough for most normal tasks.

I have a sharp maker, edge pro, lansky, and some other stuff. Of what i own, i prefer the edge pro but you can't beat the price of the sharp maker.

There are some other sharpeners that are designed better than the edge pro but there are things i like and dislike about all of them.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-26-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Congrats! Sounds like they snagged you good, being you're already considering a sm sebenza. Sm sebenza is large enough for most normal tasks.

I have a sharp maker, edge pro, lansky, and some other stuff. Of what i own, i prefer the edge pro but you can't beat the price of the sharp maker.

There are some other sharpeners that are designed better than the edge pro but there are things i like and dislike about all of them.
    Thanks, my friend. Knife sharpening is a skill, but I like the way that the Edge Pro at least provides a consistent angle. Being that I'm handicapped when it comes to hand-eye coordination, I need all the help I can get. The Russian system from Wranglerstar looks great, but its twice the price of the already expensive Edge Pro.

I have good and bad days with the sharp maker for that very reason.
    I almost got the russian sharpener too. Watched the same video. It used to be priced better but wraglerstars videos makes things more expensive.

You will find the quirks of the edge pro but for your knife it will work great.

Then you will be sharpening your steak knives, scissors, etc

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    You will find the quirks of the edge pro but for your knife it will work great.
    What about the optional magnet attachment, which is supposedly good for some blades but not for others?

I honestly haven't seen the magnet attachment but i have seen a magnet mod, should work good for certain knives.

I think my main thing is small knives like traditionals. knives with a normal sized blade seems to work fine

Thanks for starting this thread MF, I can say that 'cos i'm Btitish, maybe we could shorten it to Muff?
    This has been one of the most informative threads I've read in ages, nothing to contribute, but I'm enjoying watching.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    This has been one of the most informative threads I've read in ages, nothing to contribute, but I'm enjoying watching.
    P
    I'm happy that you've enjoyed it. I was afraid that some faithful members would find it boring.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread MF, I can say that 'cos i'm Btitish, maybe we could shorten it to Muff?
    Of course, mate.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast