HO-9

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So having a problem here. I'm trying to run a lumens factory HO-9 on 2X16340 protected cells and dam thing won't lite.i though it was a contact issue but for the hell of it I tried 2 primary cells and it lights up just fine in all my hosts. It's not the length of the batteries so I'm thinking the protection Circuits are kicking in but I specifically asked them if this drop in would work with 2X protected 16340 and they said it would be fine. Anyone else experience this?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm not sure of the current draw. But the length is dead on they might be .010 shorter if at all but they look exactly the same length

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm thinking the protection Circuit trip at 2A in the 16340 Fenix cells I have

scout24

Flashaholic
Did you do the dreaded double or triple click? What protected 16340's and how old?

Try the above as half clicks, like you're changing levels.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Fenix 16340 700mAh ARB-L16-700 Few months old maybe 3 charges on them

Son of a!!!!! Yep 3 clicks works!! I remember reading something about that once. What's up with that?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HO-9 is 12 watts, so on two Li-ion it will draw about 1.5 amps from each cell.
Is that enough to trip the protection?

What's the triple click about Scout? Never heard of it until now, is it like a secret handshake?

Is it preheating the filament to avoid a high current draw at switch on?
I guess that's what Soft Start switches are for.
Had my Conflakes now so I'm ready to learn.
P

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I thought the circuits were good up to 2A on my Cell's. Not sure but ya triple clicking it works which means that's not going to work for me like that. I'll have to get some unprotected cells. I do remember reading about this many moons ago but don't remember what it does to make it work.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would make sense then. If it draws 1.5 amps when running, it may well have a current surge when its switched on and trip the protection.
I'm sure Scout will rell us when he wakes up.
P

scout24

Flashaholic
The cold filament goes beyond what the cell can safely deliver apparently. Double or triple clicking warms up the filament just enough to get that resistance down to the point the cells can handle the current draw. Not ideal, harsh on the cells, but it does work. In the link below, scroll down to the header "Why doesn't my flashlight work" for a better description. :)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ndescent-guide-compatability-comparison-chart

PS- Was awake, out walking my pups. The younger, 130lb one likes getting up early and has a bunch of energy. The "Old Man" little guy lets me sleep in a bit before going out... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just back from walking the beagles. It's like a route march every day, twice a day.
The resistance thing makes sense, thank you for that. It would have bugged me for weeks.
That thread is so useful, I have read it before. It should be compulsory reading for anyone using Li-ions.
P

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Bugged you! I was going nuts trying to figure this out. And worse part is with all my hosts and batteries I had out I lost track of what I was done and ended up blowing up not 1 but 2 brand new P60! 🤦*♂️

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bugged you! I was going nuts trying to figure this out. And worse part is with all my hosts and batteries I had out I lost track of what I was done and ended up blowing up not 1 but 2 brand new P60! 臘*♂️
Have you got a DMM? I think you'd avoid a lot of stress if you used one.
P

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol Oh yes I do. What my problem was is that I was swapping hosts,primary batteries, and 16340's and checking my different p60 and P90's for a contact issue and put a P60 in with some 16340's. TWICE! They didn't like that. Not at all 😭

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I ended up putting it in a spare Malkoff head I had so I can use it I'm my MD3 with 2X18500. Works like a charm first time ever time and is exactly what I was looking for in my G2. Much brighter then my P90. So if I want to run it in my G2 looks like I need to get some unprotected 16340's for her.