The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Gerber out of the lighting business

Flashaholic

Default Gerber out of the lighting business

Looks like Gerber has thrown in the towel and is no longer producing any more flashlights, with all stock being listed as discontinued. Even the Infinity Ultra Task Light and Recon.

Their Cortex, Cortex Compact and Expert lights were all made in USA, so that is another US flashlight maker out of the business.

If only CMG didn't sell out to Gerber all those years ago, they were really onto something with the Infinity and the smaller Sonic keychain light, right there at the beginning of the LED flashlight business. All went down hill after being sold to Gerber, their newer designs were not popular and there wasn't much in new development.

Well I won't say I'm sorry, as after their stupid and offensive "Hey vegetarians" ad many years ago I contacted them to let them know that I would never purchase any of their products and I stuck to that promise too.
    Last edited by GoVegan; 04-14-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    - I don't make fanboy recommendations, if I recommend a light it's because it's the most practical option for your intended application.
    - Whatever light you carry, no keychain should be without a Photon Micro-Light II.

Default Re: Gerber out of the lighting business

Gerber made flashlights?
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

I wonder what will happen to their patents. I remember reading one of their patents for their Omnivore Technology years ago. I'm sure they held others too.
    I think they are valid for either 20 or 14 years, although I'm not sure when those multi-battery lights were introduced, I think around 2008.
    - I don't make fanboy recommendations, if I recommend a light it's because it's the most practical option for your intended application.
    - Whatever light you carry, no keychain should be without a Photon Micro-Light II.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Gerber made flashlights?
    Haha, I think you just summed up the response of most flashaholics.

Actually US military did/does issue a lot of Gerber kits, everything from weapons cleaning to EOD and mine probing kits, and these kits usually included Gerber lights. Their Recon were also popular for field work as their output was very very low, and had a red LED too.

Then there were the Gerber Gear Bear Grylls line of lights/headlamps too.
    Last edited by GoVegan; 04-14-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Shame, I wanted one of these but never got around to buying one.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...er-FIRECRACKER

An updated model with a moderately driven modern LED would be nice.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Shame, I wanted one of these but never got around to buying one.
    Ah yeah the Firecracker, I remember reading that thread, probably a few years later though. I liked the look of that light and also the Gerber Tempo (small 1AAA keychain light) that had the same look and feel, I always thought they looked very cool.

I might try to pick up an Infinity AA if I see any left.

They are very easy to mod with any other 5mm LED of your choice, so they make a great host for (e.g.) a Yuji Hi-CRI.

It's basically the closest thing to a Fenix E01 cockroach light, but in an AA format. No modes, low output, but simple, reliable, robust, and efficient.

Flashaholic*

Gerber is not exactly the company they used to be.. for a long time now...

I would not consider any of their products to be anything beyond any of the other low grade Chinese manufactured crap you find at all the box stores with the "insert once great brand name label here" with the made in china print on the back.

Gerber belongs in the Target camping half aisle section next to the other practically worthless junk.
    Last edited by ampdude; 04-14-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    ampdude

I’m not familiar with their lights much but I had one of their USA made automatic knives recently and it was very good quality. Maybe it just depends what line you’re buying. And perhaps the lights don’t get as much attention as their edged tools.

Flashaholic*

nbp, which model? I wasn't aware they had any USA made products anymore.
    ampdude

The Propel Downrange auto.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    nbp, which model? I wasn't aware they had any USA made products anymore.
    I think they recently started reintroducing USA production of some of their more premium products.

Kind of a shame they stopped making lights though, I never got around to buying an Infinity Ultra.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?