ArmyTek        

Thread: Spark SD52 Best Battery

Default Spark SD52 Best Battery

Hi,

New to this forum so apologies if this question has been previously answered.

I have a Spark SD52 headtorch, which I have never been able to get to work reliably, I am presuming because the batteries are not correct.

I have been using these:
    [IMG][/IMG]

But have always had problems with the torch just shutting off. I suspect because the voltage is too low.

The spec sheet says this:
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am not sure whether the 14500 with a fake cell or the 2x IFR14500 would be better. I am not even sure what a fake cell is or what an IFR14500 is.

I have been looking at the OLight battery as these have been reliable batteries for me in the past on other devices.
    https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-750mah-protected-li-ion-14500-rechargeable-battery/

Am I on the right track? Do I use this battery with a fake cell and if so what is a fake cell? Or, do I use 2x these batteries? The voltage of 2x these would appear to be ok for the torch specs. Also, at only 750mAh these seem far les rated than the batteries in the picture above at 2900mAh.

Any advise appreciated!

Flashaholic

Default Re: Spark SD52 Best Battery

Itís easy to verify if itís the light or batteries by trying the light with 2 L91 AA primary energizer lithium batteries. My guess is the light is fine and the batteries are sub standard.

When comparing the capacity of two batteries and the nominal voltage is not the same you canít use the mAh rating only to compare them. Itís best to use watt hours instead. Most people on this board agree that the Panasonic/Sanyo Eneloop Pro is the gold standard for NiMh AA batteries so Iíll use them for my example. They are rated at 2450 mAh minimum at 1.2V so thatís about 2.94 watt hours. The 14500 you refer to is rated at 750 mAh at 3.7V so thatís about 2.78 watt hours. Your run time with 2 Eneloop Pros will be much longer than with one lithium ion 14500. A 14500 dummy cell is just a spacer the same size as 14500 that will conduct electricity. Do a google search and you will find lots of them. I have never heard of a 2900 mAh NiMh AA battery. I donít believe that the battery shown in the photo will be anywhere near that capacity. That third option listed is lithium phosphate, they exist in 14500 size but are hard to find and you would need a charger that supports LiFePO4 charging this option would not be my choice.

You can buy 4 AA eneloop pros from a reputable vendor in the US for about 18 dollars.

Frank
    Last edited by fmc1; 04-15-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo i forgot to add buy

Thanks for this information.

I am still a little confused by the voltage. The specs for the torch indicate an operating voltage of 3V to 7.4V. 2x 1.2V batteries would be 2.8V, is this a problem that it is outside the stated operating voltage?

I take your point on recommended AA NiMH batteries, thank you, I will look into these. The spec sheet does state use a 14500 battery for best output though...

I think I will discount the third option, based on the above feedback.

Cheers,

Josh

Enlightened

Hey Josh88, wow, I actually have a Spark SD52 that I haven't used in years. Thanks for posting this - I'll have to search for mine now.

Hang on a sec, you indicated that the working voltage is 3v-7.4v? Did I miss that in the above photo? I don't have my light readily available as it's probably in storage but, when I do a search, i found the following: Battery 2*AA or 2*IFR14500, working range from 1.6V to 7.6V - Link: https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/spark-sd52-cw.html. I'll try to find mine as I am sure I still have the manual.

Maybe they changed the spec on the light but it sounds odd.

As for your voltage question: NiMH AA's have nominal 1.2v but are 1.5+v off the charger so will start off at 3v+. My eneloops are 1.55-1.57v fresh off my charger so 3.1v+.

I ran my SD52 with eneloops when i used that headlamp and runtimes were definitely very good. I never ran it with a 14500 as there is really no point since the runtimes would be much shorter - the output I believe is limited to 280 lumens (for NW) and having the extra voltage would likely not have that much a difference given that LED in that light. But, I can't be certain as I don't have a dummy 14500 cell to test.

Sadly, while the build quality is very good on the Spark, even single AA headlamps these days have much better output due to updated emitters. But, I still liked the Spark since it ran on 2xAA and runtimes were very good.
    SF 6P, E1e, E2e, C2, M2, M3, Z2, HDS60GT, Zebralight 600W MKIV., EDC rotation: Nitecore TIP, Lumintop Geek, MecArmy PT16, SF Titan Plus, Jetbeam RRT-0, SF E1e w/ Tana Nichia B219 TripLED

Flashaholic

The 1.6V minimum is what I was going by also. To me thatís fine so at .8V per battery then the light shuts down to protect the batteries thatís good, might be a little low on the voltage but close enough.

There are some multi fuel lights that have a higher output on a 14500 than an AA but itís unclear to me if the Spark SD52 is one of them. I know the Olight S1A is an example of a light that will have different levels on different fuels. I EDC this light a lot during summer months so Iím very familiar with it. It will run on a lithium AA primary or a good quality NiMh AA like an Eneloop. With one of those you get 4 brightness levels, moon .5lm, low 5lm, med 50lm and high 220lm. If you use a 14500 you get the same 5 levels plus an additional turbo at 600lm. I canít tell the difference in run time at equal levels using the two battery types. Remember the Olight S1A comparison is one AA vs. one 14500. Not two AAís vs. one 14500 like the SD52.

Frank