Zebralight for backpacking?

davidmenges

Newly Enlightened
Any advice on a Zebralight H600 model for backpacking? I was leaning towards an H600w, but then saw the H600c with a newer LED. In a brief conversation from Zebralight Inc. they suggested an H600Fc. My non-experienced gut feeling after reading the web is non-frosted (use film if desired), more throw, warm, relatively high CRI.

H600w: XHP35, 1400 Lm, 4500K, 80+ CRI, 12 degree spot, 5 step tint deviation
H600c: XHP50.2, 1616 Lm, 4000K, 90+ CRI, 17 degree spot, 3 step tint deviation

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I would go for a H600Fw. I have one and it's the perfect amount of flood for a headlamp. The non frosted lens is too throwy for headlamp, I bought one and returned it.

Personally, I'd add a second light if I were backpacking. A throwier light, like SC64w HI or SC600w IV HI, for the moments you want to spot something a little farther ahead.

Lumen83

Enlightened
What geographic area are you looking to backpack? Forested, wide open space, or combo of both? ZL offers different beam profiles. I find floody works best for forested areas but a beam with more throw and a more pronounced hotspot is better for wide open. Also, carry two lights. A floody headlamp and a hand held thrower is a great combo for backpacking.

twyych

Newly Enlightened
It depends on where you're backpacking. I'm typically in forested areas and use an h604c. Pure flood is wonderful for camp chores as well as night hiking, and I've never found myself needing/wanting much throw. In less forested areas more throw may be beneficial.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Also, backpacking doesn't necessarily mean night hiking. Do you intend to use the light for night hiking, or for a general task light at night around camp?

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
If you're not night hiking, I agree that flood is better, although I personally prefer my older ZL H52Fw that has a frosted lens but has a bit of a hotspot. I use this for campsite tasks. I also bring along a ZL 600W and a newer ZL 600C IV for the occasional night hike.

One thing to keep in mind with a frosted lens as well is that, if there is any rain or fog, everything gets washed-out and you end up with a wall of light in front of you which doesn't help if you're hiking. So, something with more of a focused beam is again, preferable.

Don't forget to bring extra batteries in waterproof containers.