Sleeping bag options?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions for a good synthetic sleeping bag for a bigger guy? I'm fairly built having lifted weights since high school but also starting to add some middle age pounds... turning a once very athletic 6'3" 230lbs into 270lbs. For reference I find the green patrol bag of the MSS in xlong to "just" fit for girth though it offers tons of extra length. The black intermediate bag is too tight as are almost all mummy bags I've tried.

I know down is the word but I am willing to sacrifice a little weight for a bag which retains usefulness of it encounters moisture.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought 2 identical sleeping bags and zip them together to make one large roomy bag. I like to stretch out when sleeping.
I just buy 40 degree cheap polyester bags.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Could you describe what you are looking to do with it as far as what temperature range you need it for, whether it is for backpacking or car camping, stuff like that?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you describe what you are looking to do with it as far as what temperature range you need it for, whether it is for backpacking or car camping, stuff like that?

Well, temp range is pretty wide. I'd like something that I can use through a Michigan winter if needed, maybe with an extra poncho liner or similar. Not looking for an ultralight setup but something that is compatible with large-pack backpacking and/or bike packing.

Stu

Newly Enlightened
s, p, d & f orbitals.. somewhere in the Rockies
Guys, check out Wiggy's sleeping bags. Washable, all synthetic with lifetime warranty. They are not sold in stores, no advertising and sold only direct from him at his factory in Grand Junction, CO. He has a great website and often runs special sales. Just read some reviews from customers on the site. I don't want to use any other brand now.

The "Superlight" is a great all around choice, and although it is listed as a mummy-style bag, the "extra long, wide body" sized bag is cavernous inside with plenty of width and leg room to roll around. All his bags are also available in rectangular shapes if that is important. Those can also be zipped together to make a huge two-person bag.

These are not heavy items, but they are not some kind of unrealistic ultralight "fit in your shirt pocket" gear. They are meant to keep you warm and can potentially save a life, even if the bag is completely soaked with water.

Some of the best money I've ever spent, and very often less money than other junk that doesn't work.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I love my Kelty Cosmic Down 20.
Excellent sleeping bag that can handle my 6'-1" height.

Keitho

Enlightened
I understand not wanting down. In my experience, handling moisture best means a different material underneath me and above me. Down underneath me is wasted because bodyweight completely compresses it--it becomes pancake-flat and soaked with condensation/sweat. But, people cherish down for good reasons--when above you, it is awesome insulation for very light weight and small pack size. So, I go with an air mattress and a silk sheet underneath, quilt on top. I've also found that "high end" off-the-shelf sleeping bags can't compete with a vibrant semi-custom sleeping bag/quilt cottage industry, at least in the US. For bikepacking in 3 seasons, I'm happy with a "Revelation" quilt (comes in a few stock sizes, can be customized with different fabrics and amounts of down stuffing), a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite, and the Therm-a-rest wrapped in the cheapest/lightest silk sleeping bag liner I could find. I have a feeling that Revelation was a good deal for me a few years ago, but might have gotten too big/popular/expensive--there are certainly other custom and semi-custom shops (at least in the US) that will make a down quilt, possibly for a better price and options that you want.

Quilts have the advantage of being able to be used like a normal rectangular blanket, wrapped to "semi mummy" mode to just wrap up cold feet, or wrapped into "full mummy" mode. You also don't have to waste sleeping bag weight/bulk with something over your head--you'll have a hat and neck gaiter with you anyway.

Winter camping is a different strategy--for me, winter means finding a hut with a stove and a huge woodpile!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I agree with the points made by Keitho above.

I am VERY happy with my MSS two bag system with a gortex bivy. My grandson @ 6' 1" is already longer than I, and doesn't like the confines of a mummy. I was trying to guide him to a Big Agnus "Lost Ranger" bag. It probably doesn't have the girth you are looking for though. The concept of the bag is like what Keitho is talking about. It has no insulation on the bottom, which makes it more packable, and lighter. One relies upon a sleeping pad for ground insulation. The insulation of the bag is all on the top and sides. So it is like a zip up, wrap-around quilt. Hammock campers have gone with a top quilt and under quilt for years, and many tout the system.
Different sleeping pads have different R values, and have varying comfort levels for back sleepers vs side sleepers. To my surprise, I found that my Klymit V is more comfortable than my self inflating Therm-a-rest pro. I never particularly liked air mattresses, but I found that if I filled it up, then lied down on it and deflated it until I was comfortable, even side lying, my hips could still be off of the ground. I'm only about 180 lbs, so that model may not work for you. I'm sure the concept will be the same.

All in all, I'd go with Keitho's recommendations, and get a custom quilt made to my specs.

OK... as I went upstairs to get myself another cup of coffee, I had a thought.

I considered, that I might want to tear open the gortex bivy of the MSS and make it a water proof breathable top cover for the quilt. Then I thought.... why not cut open the back of the patrol bag, and/or the black bag, and insert some extra material to make it wider? This will allow you to continue to have the three bag flexibility, temperature range, of the MSS.

The Big Agnus is designed with a pocket for the sleeping pad. The last time out, I placed my Klymit between the gortex bivy and the black bag. It worked great!

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see anything mentioned about budget.

I was recently looking for a good down bag, i decided between Western mountaineering and feathered friends. I went with a semi-mummy bag because I move around and also sleep on my stomach.

kietho mentioned quite a bit. Adding to that, you should always use an insulated pad of some sort. A good bag will have continuous baffles, so you can move the down where you need it. Yes it's true that down on the bottom will not have any benefit, but with continuous baffles, that down can quickly be moved to the top. This also helps adjust for different temperature needs.

Down sleeping bags are water resistant which helps. I prefer down. I don't backpack so no need for ultralight either, but if you ever experience a 1.5-2lb bag, you will wonder why you didn't go that route before.

I tried an rei magma, great bag but i cant do full mummy anymore...gave it to my 16yr old son. This time i chose a semi-mummy that can be attached to a special ground sheet for when my wife goes along. So one bag for 1-2 people.

I'm going to have to look at wiggys site again. I live in Colorado and wouldn't mind supporting a native company but i originally didn't find anything that interested me.

As far as synthetic... i went camping for father's day and the tent failed leaving the bag and air mattress soaked. Got down to mid 20s...not a good night. Bag never dried...thats what got my looking for a new tent and quality bag

Stu

Newly Enlightened
Infernl,

The Wiggy's "Ultralight" and "Superlight" bags are great for anything short of truly arctic conditions (although he makes heavier bags for arctic climes). The Ultralight is slightly lighter in weight than the Superlight. It's amazing how the material in all of his bags retains your heat, while at the same time allowing any moisture to pass through the bag. If the bag somehow gets completely soaked, it will still keep you warm. I haven't gone to that extent to test it, but there are many testimonials to affirm that result.
They aren't sold through middle-men channels or retail outlets, only direct from Wiggy's. Great deals can be had on the "Specials" tab on the Wiggy's site.
I have my vehicles stocked with his stuff for winter preparedness.. mukluks, mittens, Superlight sleeping bag and comforter blanket. They all have the same type of insulation, which is only made in the USA. Cold can quickly get dangerous, especially if there's some distance involved or inability to travel.

I've really enjoyed the gear and have a lot of confidence in it. If anyone is wondering about it, I'm sure they would be equally pleased.
Happy camping. [emoji4]

Stu

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah.. on the Wiggy's bags (the mummy style is often on sale in the Specials section), I like to get the very largest size, which is the "Wide, Long" option. It's big enough to roll around in with plenty of leg room to not feel claustrophobic. I don't mind the extra inches of length at the bottom, and it will fit a larger, taller person if needed.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I bought a 20 degree bag from Kifaru and I could not be more happy. It's pricey but it's high quality with top of the line synthetic insulation not commonly used in the industry. I don't like side zipper designs so Kifaru was perfect for me.
I also like bags from Kuiu, they are a very innovative company and also use top of the line technical fabrics and materials.

I run three bags and a quilt in various combinations. Kelty long rectangular 30 degree is good for 50 degrees and higher, and makes a great warm weather quilt. Western Mountaineering Sycamore 25 is good from 20 - 50. Western Mountaineering Sequoia 5 is good to - 5. Both WM are overstuffed. I will bring a Mountain Laurel Designs Apex 38 quilt to combine with one of the bags if the temps might drop lower than expected.

The quilt also comes in handy for cold weather glassing.

Last edited:

Folgore202

Newly Enlightened
I have bought 2 identical sleeping bags and zip them together to make one large roomy bag. I like to stretch out when sleeping.

I can confirm that it's a pretty great idea, you carry a little bit more weight and volume but that makes it up in comfort during the night. Add a good inflatable mattress to that and you'll sleep better than at home!

Kayaker530

Newly Enlightened
I know that this is an older thread, but maybe this is helpful for others. I am a big Guy, 6-6 and 270 pounds. I will Second the recommendation for Wiggy's Brand Sleeping bags. I have spoken with the owner on the phone and he is super helpful and offers great customer service. We have two of their bags that we zip together and use for our easy camping trips. We also have Western Mountaineering Down Bags that we use for more serious hikes and backpacking. But for simple camping we prefer the Wiggy's due to being so much easier to clean. Wiggy's are USA made, high quality, and no BS. We buy them for friends and family for gifts.