Legacy rock bands

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Steely Dan thread took a turn towards all time greats.

Last band spoke of was Little Feat.

Take it from here folks....

Ok, I'll start. So I'm working in this 1 horse town and one day a coworker and I are sitting in a bbq joint with an Elvis Pressley tune playing. He says "man I hate classic rock stations". I retorted "how come?" He says "take Elvis for example, dude had like 50 #1 hits yet they play the same 3 over and over". I was like "yeah, hunka burnin' love was cool" and he starts doing an Elvis impersination. Sounded just like him. I said "what else you got" to which he goes into ZZ Top La Grange "ya gotta lotta nice girls uh". lol. We went on for hours about all the great music classic rock stations skip over.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two of the best and most influential bands to come out of the '80's: The Pixies and Sonic Youth. Neither had the success they deserved and didn't get a lot of radio play but they influenced many bands, including Nirvana and David Bowie.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...I have never heard of these bands before....not my style but it is always interesting to discover unknown styles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sonic Youth was/is over my head rock and roll.

Definitely a 'starving artist' band.

I saw Kings of Leon at a small club shortly before their breakout record. I told my friends "one day the Rolling Stones will open for those cats".... Then they went the way of Reo Speewagon. Ugh!!

Coldplay was another unexpected giant. They did a song called "yellow" and folks yawned. Then came "rush of blood" and good gosh! Everybody I knew was playing that one a few months after it was released. Not a big Coldplay fan myself, but they certainly have become legacy band.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Urban dictionary coins a definition of legacy as perhaps planting seeds in a garden you'll never see sprout.
Buddy Holley comes to mind.

Anything handed from ancestor to predecssor. Game changers often mimic'd, or duplicated. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd come to mind.
Bands who spawned a movement in a particular direction. I suppose LL Cool J or other early rappers could be labled that.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Urban dictionary coins a definition of legacy as perhaps planting seeds in a garden you'll never see sprout.
Buddy Holley comes to mind.

Anything handed from ancestor to predecssor. Game changers often mimic'd, or duplicated. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd come to mind.
Bands who spawned a movement in a particular direction. I suppose LL Cool J or other early rappers could be labled that.

Interesting.

I had not heard this term before so when Googling "Legacy Rock Band" your definition based on the word "Legacy" alone is about as far from what I got in search results as can be?

My read on it is that a Band without the original lineup that continues to play as the same band is a Legacy Band.

That would sort of make the Dead one of the most iconic it seems on many levels to my mind.

The Allman Brothers minus one Brother
Journey with the tiny Asian guy on vocals
Genesis with Phil Collins in front

The list is endless but then a lot of bands also just evolve as time goes on and I am not sure how or why they would change each time in classification?
So this whole thing makes little sense to me really.

Do the bands need to die and then come back?

Like I said,interesting.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Two of the best and most influential bands to come out of the '80's: The Pixies and Sonic Youth. Neither had the success they deserved and didn't get a lot of radio play but they influenced many bands, including Nirvana and David Bowie.
]

Totally agree about the Pixies. Never even heard of them until a couple years ago. And when I did I played everything they ever made through my headphones at work for days. Can't believe the music world mostly missed them. They were just too far ahead of their time. They would have been bigger had they come out mid 90s.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im a old metalhead been a metal fan since i was 9 or 10 b4 then i was into surf music

But why just from the one artist..

56674291_2641372909213342_6651740877813186560_n.mp4

That was awesome!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I see your point about the term Legacy AV.

I suppose the use of the word legacy could go a few ways. Even to invoke a negative. "Boy the Hitler guy left a legacy".

I forget the name of the guy who invented the microphone for use in telephones long ago. But when asked about his legacy he said it was "regret" and when asked why he said "because it was used for the electric guitar".