Best resource for highest CRI +best rated flashlights of all classes?

Grinchstolelights

Newly Enlightened
I just got a mixed grab bag of older flashlights useful across applications.

all are great flashlights, and have scratched most of my itch.

However, if there's one thing I could ask for it's for all my lights to be high CRI.

Is there any good resources that couples only high CRI light reviews?

Everything from small AAA to soda can to thrower, all with 90 CRI or greater. Obviously high output is awesome, but bulletproof is probably more important.

I've been trying to figure if the BLF q8 with LED swap is a better bet than getting a noctigon; then reading about emissary SST20 with 95 CRI but lost others use nichia and not much mention after searching of nichia 219b/219c vs sst 95cri makes me scratch my head; in addition the focus on pocket rockets vs quality over everything else...

Anyone want to post here or PM for good sources for someone who wants a high CRI light for every application?

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
The best possible resource is to read and learn to understand Maukka's reviews on this and other enthusiast forums. He doesn't cover every light, but learning which emitters and bins perform best is a great place to start.

The Samsung LH351D and SST-20 are the hot topic right now, but the 219C is still popular as well. The biggest difference between the three is tint and throw, not so much CRI.

The E21A is also worth a look.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Emisar D18. It's available in 4,000K SST20 95 CRI.

Features:
- Blindingly bright output. 10,000 lumens of high-CRI
- Small size for a soda-can light
- Very grippy knurling. Feels secure in the hand.
- Excellent build quality
- Excellent UI
- The SST20 is quite throwy, giving this light good punch. The 95 CRI SST20 features excellent R9 ... probably the best of any available high-CRI LED used in flashlights. Reds really pop. However, be aware that tint is above the Black Body Line, so especially at lower power things may look slightly greenish.

Grinchstolelights

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Emisar D18. It's available in 4,000K SST20 95 CRI.

Features:
- Blindingly bright output. 10,000 lumens of high-CRI
- Small size for a soda-can light
- Very grippy knurling. Feels secure in the hand.
- Excellent build quality
- Excellent UI
- The SST20 is quite throwy, giving this light good punch. The 95 CRI SST20 features excellent R9 ... probably the best of any available high-CRI LED used in flashlights. Reds really pop. However, be aware that tint is above the Black Body Line, so especially at lower power things may look slightly greenish.
Does it ONLY work with unprotected cells or just better with unprotected?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it ONLY work with unprotected cells or just better with unprotected?

I haven't tried protected cells. I rarely use them.

I suspect it is like other ultra-compact soda can lights and is designed only to be used with button-top unprotected high-drain cells.

The battery tube is probably too short for unprotected. And even if it wasn't, the high current draw on turbo would probably trip the protection circuit on a protected cell.

The D18 has built-in low voltage protection though. Protected cells shouldn't gain much extra safety.

Grinchstolelights

Newly Enlightened
:(

I've seen enough esk8 horror stories I'm a fan of always having as much protection from thermal runaway as possible. 3 cells isn't as much as an electric skateboard, but still...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
:(

I've seen enough esk8 horror stories I'm a fan of always having as much protection from thermal runaway as possible. 3 cells isn't as much as an electric skateboard, but still...

Be sure to check the specs on the light and on your batteries. The website calls for high drain, button top, unprotected cells. Most protected cells would not be able to provide the necessary current. Today's IMR / INR batteries are pretty good. I wouldn't worry about a thermal run away, as long as you follow standard protocol for battery care and use.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend always buying quality batteries from a reliable source.

Buying a budget light is fine. Buying budget "houseonfire" batteries... not so much.