Recommendation for general use light for a senior lady

piperpilot12w

Newly Enlightened
Looking to get a light for my 83 year old mother that has balance problems, in the dark, when walking, especially on a slope. She will use this when going to/from the house to the car on a sloped driveway. Also, when she gets her mail at night, she has to walk up/down a hill to the mailbox, in front of the neighbors house. She won't use a cane, but a flashlight helps her maintain a balance better.

Looking for a light that is powered by 1 or 2 CR123 batteries, gives a beam that lights a wide area as she walks and is SIMPLE to use (easy to adjust light intensity and turn on/off).

I plan to purchase one for keeping in the house, for when she goes to the mailbox, and one for her purse to carry with her.

Willing to spend up to $50-60 for each

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer Hardcase Task Light is a 2AA side clicky light that I highly recommend for folks with finger nimbleness or strength issues. It's a super simple High->Medium->OFF UI and has a nice floody beam.

Typically runs for about $15 at a hardware store.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandmother is a few years older than your mom and has trouble with twisty flashlights. She prefers a push button tail switch. What would be the ideal user interface for your mom?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Egaletac d25c or Zebralight sc5 aa??

I am having a tough time imagining any lights I would suggest less than these 2 for the intended Mother?
On/Off seems ideal to me and something big enough to easily hold onto and move around with and pick up when dropped.

A Single speed Streamlight 2aa sounds ideal programmed for on and off period.

piperpilot12w

Newly Enlightened
My grandmother is a few years older than your mom and has trouble with twisty flashlights. She prefers a push button tail switch. What would be the ideal user interface for your mom?

She's used a Maglite Mini AA before with the twist, but the batteries leaked and are frozen in it. That was a reason I was thinking a CR123 battery light.
Don't know if she would find push button easier.

focusworks

Newly Enlightened
The Energizer Hardcase Task Light is a 2AA side clicky light that I highly recommend for folks with finger nimbleness or strength issues. It's a super simple High->Medium->OFF UI and has a nice floody beam.

--flatline
I'll second this one. I have two of them and they work well. I give them to the kids and use my customs myself but they seem durable and are easy to use

piperpilot12w

Newly Enlightened

--flatline

Update
I got her the above light and it's perfect. Easy to grip, easy to turn On/Off, durable if dropped, nice beam.
Thanks for the suggestion