ArmyTek        

Thread: Which factors will you consider for your next TACTICAL Flashlight?

Arrow Which factors will you consider for your next TACTICAL Flashlight?

Which Factors
    will you consider
    when purchasing your next
    TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT?
    🤔🤔

What Percentage
    of importance
    will you give to these factors?

High Lumens
    Long Beam Distance
    Easy to Operate
    Price
    Reliablity
    Long Runtime
    Brand
    Cost of Performance
    Appearance
    Low Temperature/Good Heat Dissipation
    Other

🤔🤔

Last edited by klight; 05-07-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Default Re: Which factors will you consider for your next TACTICAL Flashlight?

For a life or death situation I would only care about 1 thing: Press that button and have max output. In situation where you can't think clearly anymore, the worst thing to happen is a light in Electronic Lockout Mode, or accidentally accessing in a programming mode by pressing the switch multiple times.

1. Reliability
    2. Easy to operate (you shouldn't have to remember the UI)
    3. High Lumens
    4. Long beam distance

Single frequency strobe (instead of that awful alternating frequency strobe) would be better for light painting photographers - which is quite an increasing market (one light painter now has 190k instagram followers).

Price, Reliability, Tint (CRI), simple modes with firefly (sub 1 lumen mode).
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Flashaholic

Personally I use a tactical flashlight at work as a police officer. With this background, these are my factors to consider, when I buy a new duty flashlight:

1. reliability.
    2. reliability.
    Yes, that is the most important thing. The light has to work. I don't want to think about, if the flashlight may fail on duty.
    3. easy to operate.
    Same thing. The light has to work and I don't want to think about, which button I have to press how many times. Start with high mode every time, easy to switch modes. No bells and whistles, no fancy stuff.
    4. Lumen output / beam distance / runtime
    Well, these should be at a reasonable level. No dragster with a crazy amount of lumen, which will decrease the runtime, increase the chance of killing the driver or other components, blinding myself,... Depending on the beam pattern, about 1000-1500 lumens in a medium wide beam with good capabilities in short to medium distances is a nice package for a edc-duty-light carried on the belt.
    5. size
    A edc light should have a small head. We have to carry a lot of things on the belt, the seats in our cars are quite narrow - the smaller the light is, the more comfortable it is for me. A flashlight, which is carried in the bag in the car can be bigger.
    6. price / brand..
    The brand is not this important. But I buy lights from brands, which have a good reputation or have proven, that they are able to build good flashlights. Regarding the price: of course it is a difference between paying around 100 EUr or 300 EUR. In the "normal" price range (100-150 EUR) I am willing to pay 10 EUR more for getting the better light.
    If some lights are on the same level, then some other aspects will decisively: anti-roll feature, very grippy design (not slippery, e.g. rubber used on the 360x1), led tint....

greetings
    Michael

Tactical is such a broad term. It could mean anything really. However, for me a "tactical" light comes down to fast deployment and operating; a quick and instinctive means of operation.

Personally I like:

* 4-6 inches long with a pocket clip
    * max of at least 500 lumens
    * tail switch with momentary capability
    * mode memory
    * strobe is fine but preferably "hidden"
    * uniform beam with good flood/throw
    * reliable
    * decent IPX rating
    * good knurling