Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Rotary 18650 battery compartment interest

Flashaholic

Default Titanium Rotary 18650 battery compartment interest

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Since I already have the machinist working on standard 18650 tubes... I think I can get Henry to agree... would only be for Rotary acme threads... and would probably be stupid expensive (well hell, most of this stuff is stupid expensive).

I shall see what can be done and for how much for how many.

In fact, why doesn't someone start an interest thread on the topic and let's see where that goes.
    18650 is my preferred battery format, and I'd be in for at least one. Maybe two depending on expense.

Default Re: Titanium Rotary 18650 battery compartment interest

I'd be in...... no questions asked.

I just figured....get back to work!

Karl

No doubt Iím in!

Iíd be in...special metals run will be paid off by then...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Going off of HDS prices You have to be looking at 500-600 bucks for this thing I would think.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Interested if I can snag a Ti rotary

Depending on price, I'm interested.

Interested.
    I'll take one should they become a reality.

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 04-19-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Flashaholic*

I'd take one 18650 Ti compartment. Since my Ti Rotary is on the way I can say this 100% for sure!!!.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

I'm in for one 18650 Ti battery tube. Just curious, why was the 18350 battery tube not offered?
    Last edited by Long RunTime; 04-20-2019 at 12:23 PM.

I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by Long RunTime View Post
    I'm in for one 18650 Ti battery tube. Just curious, why was the 18350 battery tube not offered?
    It's never been offered by HDS. I'm trying to rectify that, but neither Henry nor I thought it would be a good idea to "experiment" on such an expensive run.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

It's never been offered by HDS. I'm trying to rectify that, but neither Henry nor I thought it would be a good idea to "experiment" on such an expensive run.
    I'm sure that you're aware of the High capacity 18350 battery If HDS offers the 18350 battery tube with a spacer to allow the use of primary battery (16340 size) in lieu of 16340 tube. That way you don't have to "experiment" on such an expensive run. You only have two battery tubes to offer (18350 and 18650) and an inexpensive adapter for the primary battery. Let do a poll to see what the response will be. I'll be the first one in for 18350 battery tube.

Iím thinking battery rattle came up when this was discussed before. 😳
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Iím thinking battery rattle came up when this was discussed before. 😳
    This Delrin Sleeve ​will help eliminate the battery rattle.

I know someone who can build it if I can get bare components ie aluminum parts without the internals... tube, cap, specs.

I had some parts done for another light design I came up with that turned out really well. However the knurling was coarse not fine as the new rotary is.
    Donít Tread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by Long RunTime View Post
    This Delrin Sleeve ​will help eliminate the battery rattle.

Yes it would and battery rattle means nothing to me. But some will lose there minds.kinda like when they were going to stop making Twinkieís. Imagine being in a life and death scenario your flashlight is the only thing you have to get you out of the situation and itís works absolutely perfect and is waterproof and shockproof and enough runtime to get your butt to safety BUT the battery rattles when you shake the light. Well my friend THAT is a deal breaker! But on a serious note a spacer can and will be dropped and lost. I think HDS will come up with something internal to stop this

Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    I know someone who can build it if I can get bare components ie aluminum parts without the internals... tube, cap, specs.

I had some parts done for another light design I came up with that turned out really well. However the knurling was coarse not fine as the new rotary is.
    There are electronics in the tail. It's not a simple tube.
    I play with dead things

I'm interested in one.

Interested... well, depending on price

There are electronics in the tail. It's not a simple tube.
    What about the bare bones tube without electronics installed or the components? Another question on the tails are there any separate metal pieces or is it a tube, solid block thatís CNCíd from one end to the other? Not counting the tailcaps?

One could theoretically have the tubes done without the internals then send em in to have the elves called in for duty???
    Donít Tread On Me

Flashaholic

In for a 18650 or 18350

Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    What about the bare bones tube without electronics installed or the components? Another question on the tails are there any separate metal pieces or is it a tube, solid block thatís CNCíd from one end to the other? Not counting the tailcaps?

One could theoretically have the tubes done without the internals then send em in to have the elves called in for duty???
    One would need the drawings and they would have to be totally in spec, though we might be able to work something out. The problem is if you pay for a bunch of expensive tubes, then they come back out of spec... it has the possibility of getting costly.

Also, the tubes are not exactly easy. We have had a hard time A: Getting a machine shop to even agree to do them, and then B: Having the shop actually get them done correctly.
    I play with dead things

This is kind of confusing to me. You say you have to shell out money and if they get to you out of spec your out that money?they are giving a purchase order with spec they need to hit. If they are not doing this you are not expected to pay are you? My company deals with many vendors and if spec is not met they have not Fulfilled there end.

As a business, we send a PO. We also send our machinists special tool in order to check the tolerances of the items they make for us. We do not pay until the items are shipped to us AND inspected by us.

If an individual were to contact a machinist and want parts made, without the proper check tool, and without the proper drawings (these are far from just tubes with threads on the end), it is doubtful a machinist would even take the project on, and in fact, even with the drawings, we have a hard time getting a machine shop to take on making the tubes.

An individual going into a machine shop may very well have to pay up front. Perhaps not, but this is not simply machining a tube that is involved here any more than a vasectomy is simply a matter of cutting some small tubes. There is quite a bit more involved.
    I play with dead things

Ok well that makes sense. I thought you were saying that you are placing a po to a Machine shop getting parts that did not meet spec and having to pay for them.

One would need the drawings and they would have to be totally in spec, though we might be able to work something out. The problem is if you pay for a bunch of expensive tubes, then they come back out of spec... it has the possibility of getting costly.

Also, the tubes are not exactly easy. We have had a hard time A: Getting a machine shop to even agree to do them, and then B: Having the shop actually get them done correctly.
    For the record I would have to pay for the work up front. I know a machine shop in England that does small runs even involving titanium and does excellent work but the man has his hands in everything even some work for companies in the US
    Donít Tread On Me

Is there any update on this? I think if the current machine shop has difficulties producing the regular 18650 tubes, there wonĎt be a realistic possibility to get some done in Ti

Flashaholic*

But at the moment I'd be more interested getting a 18650 Ti Battery compartment than one in aluminium
    Since I have now too much "spare money" since the BeCu HDS is on hold. A good invest could be than a Ti 18650 tube
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast