Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titanium Rotary 18650 battery compartment interest

Default Re: Titanium Rotary 18650 battery compartment interest

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    But at the moment I'd be more interested getting a 18650 Ti Battery compartment than one in aluminium
    Since I have now too much "spare money" since the BeCu HDS is on hold. A good invest could be than a Ti 18650 tube
    If anyone is willing to help fund it I can get the specs for the tubes and have a word with England. Not making any promises but they did do an excellent job with those First-Light tubes I had done. Anyone know how much titanium I d have to find or what the length is for 1 complete 18650 tube?

As some of you are aware I ve been quite busy with my own R & D and have made great progress. In addition I may be traveling back over there soon so in reality this ďcouldĒ be done.

Other thing is it will be much much less expensive if I supply the titanium and that would be the grade 5.
    Donít Tread On Me

That would be great usdiver!

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    That would be great usdiver!
    Donít get your hopes up itís quite a long shot. I ve just seen the specs so depends on if the machinist understands everything and if heís willing. Then is the money side. Then thereís the how many would we want? And how much titanium is needed....

Donít Tread On Me

Several things to consider:
    1. You need not just the tube but the tail cap to be machined as well, and all the electronics that go inside. An end user will not be able to put this together. It will have to go to HDS.
    2. If you pay to have them machined, and then send to HDS to have those things listed above done, and the tube isn't exactly in spec... how willing is the machinist going to be to do another run so it is in spec especially after they have been paid for? Who sources the titanium for this second or even third attempt? Our machinist is quite good, but even he makes mistakes... that we don't pay for except in lost time.

Quite honestly, I could easily see this ending up costing more than the original titanium HDS light sold for when all is said and done. I'm still talking to our machinist, and MIGHT have some done at the same time as the aluminum 18650 tubes, but they sure won't be cheap no matter what.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

@Hogo
    Yes I considered the above and ďthinkĒ when he sees the spec he s not going to want any part of it. The Tac ring is certainly doable but with a couple tweaks and the Clicky tailcap is doable... I did say the titanium project was a long shot but I have seen miracles happen....
    canít hurt to dream or at least find out
    Donít Tread On Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12