Headband for HDS

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Folks,

Does anyone have an off the shelf solution for holding an HDS on their head or otherwise hands free that they really like? I recall this being discussed before but... since it seems to have been back before the few most recent edc threads availability has probably changed and search isn't turning up anything for me.

There seem to be some of these out in the wild from various manufacturers but if anyone has a recommendation for one that is comfortable, holds light securely so that I can work, hike, do camp chores, stand on my head, etc without worry of loosing it, and puts light in a convenient spot... I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Ps. Being able to stand on my head with it might be a bit much to ask since I can't do that without a light attached to my head, but it would be a nice bonus.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one I know of Is Malkoff's. It works fine but I am trying to decide between the option above and a head strap made by Hogo. I'm leaning towards Hogo's head strap. The Malkoff works, but the light holders are attached with Velcro. I'm concerned the light will take a fall. I still use it when needed and have no issues. No standing on your head though.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks,

Does anyone have an off the shelf solution for holding an HDS on their head or otherwise hands free that they really like? .

I do a lot of work on my bicycles and vehicles. For that I use a lighter in weight and smaller in size light - the Olight S1 Mini baton. It clips to a baseball cap and you do not feel its weight plus is does not stick far out beyond the bill of the cap so you can work underneath vehicles without catching the light on the under carriage.

The HDS puts out a much better beam of light but the weight of the HDS when you are working on your back looking up takes a toll on the neck muscles after five or ten minutes.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Commodore's solution. I accomplish much the same thing by putting an HDS backwards into my High Noon holster and clipping it to the bill of a hat. This method eliminates easy access to the rotary, but I'm mostly a clicky user anyway. I can't imagine that any sort of head band or strap could be as comfortable as a ball cap.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of work on my bicycles and vehicles. For that I use a lighter in weight and smaller in size light - the Olight S1 Mini baton. It clips to a baseball cap and you do not feel its weight plus is does not stick far out beyond the bill of the cap so you can work underneath vehicles without catching the light on the under carriage.

The HDS puts out a much better beam of light but the weight of the HDS when you are working on your back looking up takes a toll on the neck muscles after five or ten minutes.

excellent point, I keep an older Thrunite archer 1c around that I also clip on my hat for tight spaces.

Sos24

Enlightened
I have a Klarus headband where the flashlight attaches to the side which is fairly comfortable. It isn't as good as if the light was centered but does work.
a4edb21a0108f96db538e1bce760f1d0.jpg

I also have a Streamlight ProTac 1L 1AA Clip attach to my light so I am able to clip it to a ball cap as well.

The headband is more comfortable, but as others have mentioned due to the weight of the HDS it can become heave after a little while with either method. Nitecore, Sunwayman and some other no name companies have an elastic version like the Malkoff that I have considered trying which allows the light to be centered on top off the head.

Last edited:

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
It isn't as good as if the light was centered but does work.

Do you find having the beam alongside of your head causes you any issues with glare or messing up dark adaptation?

I guess I have floppier hats than most of you, I can't seem to get anything heavier than a button cell light on my brim without sag.

Sos24

Enlightened
Do you find having the beam alongside of your head causes you any issues with glare or messing up dark adaptation?

I guess I have floppier hats than most of you, I can't seem to get anything heavier than a button cell light on my brim without sag.

If the light is on too bright or too far forward, it can be noticeable out of the peripheral. I don't think it impacts night adaptation anymore than wearing a headlamp.

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
I have been wondering the same thing. My HDS does not taste great when I try to hold it in my teeth when working. I am hoping to experiment with a headband or ball cap clip (adapted from a go pro mount) and welcome and suggestions.

I also saw that Henry mounted one to the side of his helmet when spelunking?

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Following up with my eventual resolution.

I had an old GoPro head mount laying around, and found a flashlight adaptor for a GoPro handlebar mount on amazon. Works well with the headband, light is firmly held in place in the center of my forehead and angle is adjustable. I don't have data yet on durability but it seems ok and after the slow shipping prime credit net cost was $1.90 for the adaptor so pretty reasonable.

No claims of style - wife's observation: "good thing you're already married, dear" - but I'm happy with it for as often as I use a headlamp.

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to assume interest in the mount and not (perhaps more likely) desire to ridicule 😋

Indulging because it's high time I figured out how to post images from mobile!

bcz0K3fm.jpg

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need a quick down and dirty, cut four holes in the bill/visor of a baseball cap and use zip ties to secure the hds.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magnetic head strap for the Olight H2R fits an HDS well. The aim on the light is a little high for my liking, but it works. I'm thinking the mount could be placed on the top strap (which I've removed) to get a downward aim, but I haven't tried.

d9e08ec50da982d71615f392092c9f4f.jpg

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@nmiller
Unless you get the industrial or mil spec Velcro don't even think of trusting it with a $300 flashlight.

I haven't seen the strap by Hogo but if he could do a head strap as opposed to a belt... maybe his holster (with belt slot in the correct size) with the horizontal position then you could mount it on your head securely
@sleepyinthesun is that a rubber mount strap/band on top?

Henry has a bike mount that I m sure could be adapted or there are some makers using helmet mounts for bicycle helmets, firefighters have them also and shouldn't be a problem to find a 1" mount.
Really depends on how often you ll use this in order to determine how much you're willing to spend. Also Exposure Lights make some excellent mounts that could be adapted for head use and you can get to fit the HDS larger area or smaller. Best and most secure way would be the Hogo rig I mentioned, or a Hogo holster with the spring steel clip.. it works well on a hat I ve tried it and also if position is an issue these things can normally be tweaked, then either the streamlight or Exposure option unless we can come up with a suitable clip designed for a hat. I can make one myself but never really needed head carry. What I m trying to say is there "ARE" options.

If anyone has a preference like no hat or helmet and just head carry, or hat, or helmet Carry, we just need to know what sort of helmet or hat like lineman's helmet for example

I was actually playing around with some designs with different equipment and noticed one that could be used for head carry if you're just needing a solution for that now and then.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how well a holster would work except on a hat brim.
I use this... I know a guy...
The suede really grips the light and you can adjust the Rotary dial while wearing it. Downside is that you can't adjust the vertical tilt.
I hate elastic, but it works here. I think ideally, it should be made in a way to make the elastic easily user replaceable. Haven't gotten that far yet.
img-1955.jpg

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo
How about a holster as mentioned above but with belt slots sewn in on the back side where you can either run a leather belt or head strap through it?

As far as replacing the elastic how bout if you sew Velcro hook side to the flashlight rig and the loop part to the elastic? Then you shot 2 birds with 1 rock. Adjusts vertically and the user just needs to change elastic by sewing more Velcro on a new section of elastic.
Still I think more stable is the belt or headstrap loop on a horizontal holster... costly but can be done. Then the spring clip holster on a hat...

Last edited: