NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Headband for HDS

Enlightened

Default Headband for HDS

Folks,

Does anyone have an off the shelf solution for holding an HDS on their head or otherwise hands free that they really like? I recall this being discussed before but... since it seems to have been back before the few most recent edc threads availability has probably changed and search isnít turning up anything for me.

There seem to be some of these out in the wild from various manufacturers but if anyone has a recommendation for one that is comfortable, holds light securely so that I can work, hike, do camp chores, stand on my head, etc without worry of loosing it, and puts light in a convenient spot... Iíd appreciate your thoughts.

Ps. Being able to stand on my head with it might be a bit much to ask since I canít do that without a light attached to my head, but it would be a nice bonus.

Default Re: Headband for HDS

Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Only one I know of Is Malkoffís. It works fine but I am trying to decide between the option above and a head strap made by Hogo. Iím leaning towards Hogoís head strap. The Malkoff works, but the light holders are attached with Velcro. Iím concerned the light will take a fall. I still use it when needed and have no issues. No standing on your head though.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInTheSun View Post
    Folks,

Does anyone have an off the shelf solution for holding an HDS on their head or otherwise hands free that they really like? .
    I do a lot of work on my bicycles and vehicles. For that I use a lighter in weight and smaller in size light - the Olight S1 Mini baton. It clips to a baseball cap and you do not feel its weight plus is does not stick far out beyond the bill of the cap so you can work underneath vehicles without catching the light on the under carriage.

The HDS puts out a much better beam of light but the weight of the HDS when you are working on your back looking up takes a toll on the neck muscles after five or ten minutes.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-20-2019 at 05:42 AM.

I like Commodore's solution. I accomplish much the same thing by putting an HDS backwards into my High Noon holster and clipping it to the bill of a hat. This method eliminates easy access to the rotary, but I'm mostly a clicky user anyway. I can't imagine that any sort of head band or strap could be as comfortable as a ball cap.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    I do a lot of work on my bicycles and vehicles. For that I use a lighter in weight and smaller in size light - the Olight S1 Mini baton. It clips to a baseball cap and you do not feel its weight plus is does not stick far out beyond the bill of the cap so you can work underneath vehicles without catching the light on the under carriage.

The HDS puts out a much better beam of light but the weight of the HDS when you are working on your back looking up takes a toll on the neck muscles after five or ten minutes.
    excellent point, I keep an older Thrunite archer 1c around that I also clip on my hat for tight spaces.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Default Headband for HDS

I have a Klarus headband where the flashlight attaches to the side which is fairly comfortable. It isnít as good as if the light was centered but does work.

I also have a Streamlight ProTac 1L 1AA Clip attach to my light so I am able to clip it to a ball cap as well.

The headband is more comfortable, but as others have mentioned due to the weight of the HDS it can become heave after a little while with either method. Nitecore, Sunwayman and some other no name companies have an elastic version like the Malkoff that I have considered trying which allows the light to be centered on top off the head.
    Last edited by Sos24; 04-20-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Sos24 View Post
    It isnít as good as if the light was centered but does work.
    Do you find having the beam alongside of your head causes you any issues with glare or messing up dark adaptation?

I guess I have floppier hats than most of you, I canít seem to get anything heavier than a button cell light on my brim without sag.

Do you find having the beam alongside of your head causes you any issues with glare or messing up dark adaptation?

I guess I have floppier hats than most of you, I canít seem to get anything heavier than a button cell light on my brim without sag.
    If the light is on too bright or too far forward, it can be noticeable out of the peripheral. I donít think it impacts night adaptation anymore than wearing a headlamp.

I have been wondering the same thing. My HDS does not taste great when I try to hold it in my teeth when working. I am hoping to experiment with a headband or ball cap clip (adapted from a go pro mount) and welcome and suggestions.

I also saw that Henry mounted one to the side of his helmet when spelunking?

Enlightened

Following up with my eventual resolution.

I had an old GoPro head mount laying around, and found a flashlight adaptor for a GoPro handlebar mount on amazon. Works well with the headband, light is firmly held in place in the center of my forehead and angle is adjustable. I donít have data yet on durability but it seems ok and after the slow shipping prime credit net cost was $1.90 for the adaptor so pretty reasonable.

No claims of style - wifeís observation: ďgood thing youíre already married, dearĒ - but Iím happy with it for as often as I use a headlamp.

I think we need a photo please, Sleepy.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Enlightened

Iím going to assume interest in the mount and not (perhaps more likely) desire to ridicule 😋

Indulging because itís high time I figured out how to post images from mobile!

Last edited by SleepyInTheSun; 07-26-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Fixing image (3rd time the charm)

Need a quick down and dirty, cut four holes in the bill/visor of a baseball cap and use zip ties to secure the hds.

Default Headband for HDS

The magnetic head strap for the Olight H2R fits an HDS well. The aim on the light is a little high for my liking, but it works. I'm thinking the mount could be placed on the top strap (which I've removed) to get a downward aim, but I haven't tried.

Last edited by Slumber Pass; 07-26-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Iím going to assume interest in the mount and not (perhaps more likely) desire to ridicule
    Believe me, I'm the last person to ridicule anyone. You haven't seen some of my mad designs.
    I reckon that's OK, It looks like the very expensive setup that my Dentist uses.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Iím going to assume interest in the mount and not (perhaps more likely) desire to ridicule 😋 ....
    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    .... I reckon that's OK, It looks like the very expensive setup that my Dentist uses.
    P
    I agree. If I didn't know different, I'd say that was a professional setup.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Default Headband for HDS

@nmiller
    Unless you get the industrial or mil spec Velcro donít even think of trusting it with a $300 flashlight.

I havenít seen the strap by Hogo but if he could do a head strap as opposed to a belt... maybe his holster (with belt slot in the correct size) with the horizontal position then you could mount it on your head securely
    @sleepyinthesun is that a rubber mount strap/band on top?

Henry has a bike mount that I m sure could be adapted or there are some makers using helmet mounts for bicycle helmets, firefighters have them also and shouldnít be a problem to find a 1Ē mount.
    Really depends on how often you ll use this in order to determine how much youíre willing to spend. Also Exposure Lights make some excellent mounts that could be adapted for head use and you can get to fit the HDS larger area or smaller. Best and most secure way would be the Hogo rig I mentioned, or a Hogo holster with the spring steel clip.. it works well on a hat I ve tried it and also if position is an issue these things can normally be tweaked, then either the streamlight or Exposure option unless we can come up with a suitable clip designed for a hat. I can make one myself but never really needed head carry. What I m trying to say is there ďAREĒ options.

If anyone has a preference like no hat or helmet and just head carry, or hat, or helmet Carry, we just need to know what sort of helmet or hat like linemanís helmet for example

I was actually playing around with some designs with different equipment and noticed one that could be used for head carry if youíre just needing a solution for that now and then.
    Last edited by usdiver; 07-27-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    Donít Tread On Me

Not sure how well a holster would work except on a hat brim.
    I use this... I know a guy...
    The suede really grips the light and you can adjust the Rotary dial while wearing it. Downside is that you can't adjust the vertical tilt.
    I hate elastic, but it works here. I think ideally, it should be made in a way to make the elastic easily user replaceable. Haven't gotten that far yet.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me

Default Headband for HDS

Hogo
    How about a holster as mentioned above but with belt slots sewn in on the back side where you can either run a leather belt or head strap through it?

As far as replacing the elastic how bout if you sew Velcro hook side to the flashlight rig and the loop part to the elastic? Then you shot 2 birds with 1 rock. Adjusts vertically and the user just needs to change elastic by sewing more Velcro on a new section of elastic.
    Still I think more stable is the belt or headstrap loop on a horizontal holster... costly but can be done. Then the spring clip holster on a hat...
    Last edited by usdiver; 07-28-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    Donít Tread On Me

Default Headband for HDS

Then I have also found 2 other ways for head mount... 1 involves safety glasses, cause I figured the firefighters helmet mount was unsuitable unless you have a firefighter helmet.

The other involves something I ve been working on myself... it works and demonstrates its versatility however this wasnít the primary intention for use.

As I said it all really depends on 1 your budget, 2 how often you are going to need it. And 3 how comfortable you want it it be.
    There are of course more extreme solutions such as a ballistic military helmet with a proper mount for nvg, flashlight, and whatever else and no folks I m not suggesting a ballistic helmet, I m kidding about that part.
    Last edited by usdiver; 07-28-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Donít Tread On Me

Iím going to assume interest in the mount and not (perhaps more likely) desire to ridicule 

Indulging because itís high time I figured out how to post images from mobile!

Can you provide any details on this mount?
    Malkoff WC V4 HD XM-L, V5, V6 & HD Super, HD (all using MD4 body), M61NL, M61W, MDC 1CR123, Maratac Rev 5 AA Copper, OVEREADY Boss 70 Copperite V5 XPL HI 4K + Red (EDC light), Veleno Designs Quantum D2, Peak Trillium Copper Eiger & Prometheus Alpha w/Icarus

See his posr #11.
    P

Enlightened

Thanks Peter.

This particular headstrap is from approximately the Hero4 era, maybe 4-5 years ago.
    Amazon search for the second part is ďgopro flashlight adaptorĒ. I happened to grab one by a company called ďZttoĒ.

@usdiver yes, rubber strap holds the light in, I assume that will be the first point of failure.

@sleepyinthesun

Do you still have the headband?
    ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1564492625.528211.jpg
    This is one of few mounts I ve had for bike lights. They work perfect for HDS also the next one ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1564492772.012626.jpg is a quick detach but the first has a go pro style fitting.

If youíre interested in details I can tell you here or pm but they provide a few different options. The plastic however if exposed to weather and sunlight will degrade over time. Better than rubber though.

They are not expensive and they work well.

Alternatively i have completed my adaptation of a head worn rig which can be a neck rig or even a wherever you want it to be rig. Itís comfortable and stable but itís far different than a proper head strap. As I may have mentioned it all depends on how long youíll be wearing, what youíre doing as well as what the weather is like cause a proper head harness or band can get pretty warm.
    Donít Tread On Me

I am going to put my High Noon W/18680 battery tube to use on Thursday and Friday. Did not have time to have Dan at ThorsCustomLeatherHolsters make the appropriate head gear for me so I will use a twofish Lock Block on top of my bicycle helmet to secure the light. A fenix TK15 is in the holder now as I use that for pre-dawn cycling. The HDS High Noon should give me better lighting than the Fenix TK15 as I apply sealant to my patio pavers between 5pm and 10pm each night.

If you ve got a helmet the exposure light brackets are great. 2 different diameters they use forcthe brackets. 1Ē and slightly less than an inch which fits the tail section perfectly
    Donít Tread On Me

I have had great luck experimenting with a 3-D printed Go-Pro mount for my HDS light. I LOVE the flexibility of infinite mounting options it provided!

Headband, tripod, or the Go-Pro flexible arm for an easily adjustable work light to put light right where you need it.
    Last edited by MTRun!; 08-14-2019 at 06:09 AM.