Best AA for Travel

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been away from this forum for a really long time. Last night while away I woke up in terror in a foreign hotel room when I realized I couldn't replace my trusty 4 Sevens Quark AA. I've bought dozens of lights in my life and found that light was an ideal travel tool for so many reasons, which is why I take it everywhere:

- uses readily available AA batteries (I travel with Nimh but alkaline backup is useful)
- low light mode, great for a nightlight in a hotel room while traveling with children
- tailstands
- clicky (more reliable than electronic, no parasitic drain — I have a Nitecore that will drain a set of batteries in a month - annoying and problematic particularly if battery sepply is limited)
- diffuser accessories readily available
- no complex modes so my wife and kids can use it
- sufficiently bright
- available with neutral emitter
- reasonably good quality

What other lights today fit those criteria? I looked at a bunch of brands last night and nothing jumped out at me.

It it looks like most manufacturers are optimizing for a 14500 — so the lights don't deliver much lumens when using a Nimh or alkaline. The only company that seems to take AA nimh seriously is Zebra but they don't meet many of my desired capabilities (complex, can't use a diffuser, etc.)

so does anyone else have a good AA travel recommendation? Thanks.

Vemice

Enlightened
Not sure about a diffuser but it has a very nice low mode. The Malkoff AA.if budget allows. Not much better out there.
jNhfgMbl.jpg

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always have my zebralight h502d pure flood headlamp with me on travel. This is a legacy light, but I bet zebra has similar stuff now

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I feel you. My Titanium Quark AA was my trusted companion on many, many trips for a lot of years.

Eventually, it got replaced by a ZL SC52w, and I have never looked back.

I really think that if you give the Zebras a try, you will find that they are the best successor to the Quark.

The user interface is no more complex than you want it to be.
All your kids ever need to know is this: hold the button down and it will cycle through low, medium, high, until you stop on the one you want.
Then a click to turn it off. That's it.

Sure, if you want to fine-tune your preferred levels for LMH then you can do that. But you don't have to, and your family don't need to know about that part.

About diffusers -- I am not sure what accessory you are using with the Quark (I don't recall them making an in-house diffusing attachment?) but you can probably find options like it for the ZL. Me, I carry a couple of little discs of diffusing film stuck onto the battery, in the battery compartment, in case I ever want to put them on the lens for a diffused effect.

And then some people just prefer the ZLs with the frosted lenses already. (I don't -- I prefer to have the *option* of throw, and the *option* of diffuser film.)

I have never had a problem with a ZL switch, and there is no parasitic drain that I have ever noticed. And I keep a ZL headlamp constantly on next to my bed, which gives me a night-light for a month on a single Eneloop charge.

After a few years with an SC52w, I switched to the H52w as my never-without-it EDC, because I find the headlamp format slightly more useful (and slightly smaller as well). But if you are used to the Quark, then start with the SC52.

Just like the Quark, a ZL will run on an AAA without needing any adapter or any fuss, which is also ideal for travel. And the ZL circuit is even more efficient than the old Quarks were, as far as both putting out a lot of power on high, and also lasting a long time on low.

As a huge Quark fan, for whom the Titanium Quark was the height of flashlight perfection, I have to say that I have found the ZL's even better.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I like eagtac Great light super bright with a 14500 the Malkoff is a fantastic AA light no question there. Only problem is no reverse polarity. You put that battery in one time the wrong way and ouch.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've used a stainless steel Peak Logan 17500 for quite some time in this role, for most of the reasons specified in the OP

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I keep telling myself every week. Ok it's time to order a 17500 peak and then I put money on something else. One of these days I'll get around to it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I would add two additional criteria, for that Peak ...

• many different power options, with or without the adapter pack

• twist switch, even more reliable than clicky

Interestingly, I will be trying out another AA travel flashlight "challenger" (to the Peak) soon ... as I have recently traded for a SC53w, my first ZebraLight.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. I've never heard of the Logan 17500 before.

Giving it a quick look on the Peak site, I *love* how omnivorous it is. AAA, AA, 14500, DL123, RCR123, and of course the (rather rare) 17500 that it is named after.

Can someone who owns one tell me more about outputs, modes, and run-times?

I am a little disappointed to see an XPG in it -- that emitter is a few generations out of date. A good emitter, of course --that's what the Quarks had! -- but it has since been outdone by XMLs, XHP35s, Nichia 219s, etc., all of which offer better combinations of output, color, efficiency, etc..

Also: beam pattern? Reflector or optic?

QTCs are not great for efficiency, are they? I thought they burned off significant power in resistor loss. But I could be all wrong on that.

I'm intrigued!

archimedes

Flashaholic
No modes, QTC gives it variable output. QTC is not a resistor, and is super efficient. Adjusting the output is relatively crude, however.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
No modes, QTC gives it variable output. QTC is not a resistor, and is super efficient. Adjusting the output is relatively crude, however.

I have 3 Logan' 17500 and the SS one is a 219b just to taunt you a little.
Another is a fixed level which really is about as simple as can be and it can use the different cells as well.

8754a7a6aaf677f58ac6e0df868466f0.jpg

b206247cda386e8ab2f5079491f400e3.jpg

These bigger Peak lights actually do seem to work for me as far as the QTC goes where I do have issues with the Eiger and do not really trust them at all regardless of how Simple Arch says they are.

I have not done run time testing and all I can really say os that they can go pretty low if adjusted carefully and seem pretty efficient too.

I still do not travel with mine though but ALWAYS carry an SC52w or SC64w if I am dressed no matter where I am.

The ZL interface is not that tough to get the hang of to me but if you are worried about it the newer ones with the newest interface can be customized as a single mode light if you want that for handing to others.
There are 3 different Mode Configuration Groups that you can set and then switch between if you like so that you can fully use the lights features but then change groups quickly to hand the light off to the kids for instance!

There is not really any other UI that I have heard of like this and it can be really handy I think.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
The reason the smaller diameter lights don't adjust as smoothly with the QTC is due to the physics of the threading.

Yes, Peak have done custom emitters upon request.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason the smaller diameter lights don't adjust as smoothly with the QTC is due to the physics of the threading.

Yes, Peak have done custom emitters upon request.

Yeah I get it but it is really frustrating still.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A month ago I'd have never said "Rofis R2". But after receiving one as a gift I'd reccomend them to a friend.

IMG-20190421-075936.jpg

Disposable diffuser made from left over toilet paper roll and scotch tape. Color the tape with a Sharpie to obtain a neutral or warm tint.

5000k tint available. Has a memory feature and a slight twist of the tail cap cuts power. Re-twist and it turns back on to last setting. H/M/L or strobe, or beacon or lockout can be added via an easy click method or click and hold. Moonlight available too. Head rotates to become a right angle light. Strong nagnetic tailcap is built in (not glued on). Comes with a rechargeable battery but can run on store bought disposables. Magnetic charge point. Overall a nice throwey flooder.

IMG-20190419-212024.jpg

Obligitory wall pic shows spill too.

IMG-20190419-212503.jpg

Here is the 5000k on 300 lumen high.
Also has a turbo available but not some "700 lumens for 9 seconds then 300 high" but an actual turbo.

IMG-20190421-081901.jpg

Shows on/off button when right angle light.

IMG-20190421-081918.jpg

Magnet easily holds poultry scissors.

I keep mine on the 90 lumen medium for plenty of light with good fuel mileage. Low is 5, medium 90, high 300, turbo 700, moonlight 0.5 lumens.
The clip sucks but is easily removable.

A CPF review.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?447592-Field-Use-Review-of-the-Rofis-R2-and-R3

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to find one of these to buy but never had any luck?
Where did you snag this one,I am itchin to give it a try too!
A month ago I'd have never said "Rofis R2". But after receiving one as a gift I'd reccomend them to a friend.

IMG-20190421-075936.jpg

Disposable diffuser made from left over toilet paper roll and scotch tape. Color the tape with a Sharpie to obtain a neutral or warm tint.

5000k tint available. Has a memory feature and a slight twist of the tail cap cuts power. Re-twist and it turns back on to last setting. H/M/L or strobe, or beacon or lockout can be added via an easy click method or click and hold. Moonlight available too. Head rotates to become a right angle light. Strong nagnetic tailcap is built in (not glued on). Comes with a rechargeable battery but can run on store bought disposables. Magnetic charge point. Overall a nice throwey flooder.

IMG-20190419-212024.jpg

Obligitory wall pic shows spill too.

IMG-20190419-212503.jpg

Here is the 5000k on 300 lumen high.
Also has a turbo available but not some "700 lumens for 9 seconds then 300 high" but an actual turbo.

IMG-20190421-081901.jpg

Shows on/off button when right angle light.

IMG-20190421-081918.jpg

Magnet easily holds poultry scissors.

I keep mine on the 90 lumen medium for plenty of light with good fuel mileage. Low is 5, medium 90, high 300, turbo 700, moonlight 0.5 lumens.
The clip sucks but is easily removable.

A CPF review.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?447592-Field-Use-Review-of-the-Rofis-R2-and-R3

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just showed up at my house one day. A gift from a fellow flashaholic. Nice little flashlight.

Amazon has them.
Thanks I remember now that I couldn;t find one in NW tint before but they are in stock now!
Actually 1 less is in stock now!