Why Surefire not continuing their Defender series?

happywally

Newly Enlightened
hey guys,

anyone know why Surefire doesnt seem to be making new Defender models?

so in around 2013-2015 they had the 6PX Defender, the P2X Fury Defender, and the E2D Defender...
fast forward to now, the 6PX and Fury have received power upgrades etc, but the Defender series has been dropped...
all thats left is the E2D Defender...

why no love for Defender models?

1pt21

Enlightened
Darn, really??? I always thought the Defender models just had a strike bezel and (most times) tailcap, opposed to smooth. I mean I'm sure in later models there were LED/Mode variances?

Anyway, seems silly to abandon an entire model line that most certainly appeals to large groups of people (AKA customers) and even more so, does not seem like such a big manufacturing/tooling change... But. I meeeean. I honestly don't know LOL, just talking here.

I DO know that the sharp edges tear stuff up, but it's tacticool maaan!! Customers love that stuff, AND it can be switched out easily once you enter the wold of Legoing :cool: Oh, Feeling stabby today: boom done! Hmmm, Feeling casual today: boom done! Hahahaha :sssh:

I for one really hope they keep the Defender series alive, even if it just means a pointy Bezel and Tailcap. I personally LOVE the option :candle:

Carry on!

hey guys,

so in around 2013-2015 they had the 6PX Defender, the P2X Fury Defender, and the E2D Defender...
fast forward to now, the 6PX and Fury have received power upgrades etc, but the Defender series has been dropped...

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys,

I wouldn't say it has been dropped entirely, just relegated to the dark corner. The EDCs and Tactician, the new dual fuel...they may be working on them for all we know, it is Surefire after all so it may be another year or two before they get upgraded.

Although I would question whether or not those lights actually sold well. I don't like my lights to have sharp crenelations if I can avoid it. Maybe they are cutting back now so they can come up with some new lights later.

Last edited:

Qship1996

Enlightened
I have had 1 first generation E2d, 1 3rd gen E2d ultra and 1 E1d Led.Love the E1d,maybe my favorite Surefire light,plenty of lumens and throw and economical as it only eats 1 battery at a time. Both E2d models were OK but I hated going through 2 expensive 123 batteries at a time for not much needed extra useful output.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone probably wanted to see how sharp the bezel was and hurt them self........Surefire, as part of the lawsuit, agreed to discontinue the entire line. There might even be a recall because of the danger to the general public of the pointy end. :ohgeez:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
SureFire does what SureFire does, often times for unknown reasons to those outside of the board room.

As folks may remember they down sized not that long ago and have made a lot of decisions to eliminate some of their once very popular items.

Also remember that they make their living off of supplying lighting military and law enforcement who may not be ordering the once popular items. SureFire is in the 'big contract' business so if the contracts don't contain defender series items, then it may not set well with the board to keep slow sellers in the production facility space where big sellers could be produced. Smaller production facility after the down size means less room for manufacturing equipment, which means the best selling items take precedence in the available floor space.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Most likely the Defender series hasn't been as profitable as SF expected. Biggest reason why good products are discontinued. At the end of the day, SureFire is a business. And that business is making money.

RichardWad

Newly Enlightened
Im not familiar with any LE agencies that have contracted with SF, but maybe that's because I haven't been looking.

altermann

Enlightened
Everything fine in Defender, even the teeth..
Nice light, especially incan version, because of compact size and triple mod possibility.
Blind your opponent and then rapidly strike his face or other places using the strike bezel teeth - this was an idea of this light

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Everything fine in Defender, even the teeth..
Nice light, especially incan version, because of compact size and triple mod possibility.
Blind your opponent and then rapidly strike his face or other places using the strike bezel teeth - this was an idea of this light

I don't have any opponents, so I take my 200 lumen defender hiking. The throw is great for finding trail markers at night (I use it in conjunction with a floody headlamp for up close).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd like to see them arrive in the package with a smooth bezel and a crenalated one inside the package. You choose which to use. I've yet to need to punch a bobcat in the face with my flashlight, but I'd prefer to have a dna sampler attached while in the woods just in case. But when walking around in a generally safe environment have a smooth bezel attached. That's just the opinion of one person.

I suppose the market prefers the smooth end approach. Nothing wrong with that. I just hope it was for marketing and not for tort liability prevention. Heaven knows the cops have it tough enough already.

Last edited: