Eagletac vs Maratac/CountyComm?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at a nice 1xAA EDC light and currently trying to pick between the Eagtac D3A and the Maratac AA Ti Nichia Rev 2 from County Comm. Both seem to be top quality lights with a tip of the hat to the extra features of the Eagtac including 14500 compatibility. I do like the simpler UI of the Maratac but always liked the bezel rotating H/L UI also. I would most likely use NiMH for the most part but would be nice to have the option t run 14500 for higher output...

Are far as quality and reliability would anybody be able to comment on these two? Overall, which one would be your pick?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had the best luck with eagtac. I didn't like the aa ti i had either. It got so hot i barely got it apart. I have an 18650 eagtac that i like but after the first charged battery it hasn't worked right since.

I have a copper aaa maratac with nichia and it's been flawless.

The eagtac you are looking at (i think) has higher output and will most likely produce a lot of heat on higher settings.

If you don't need a 400lm light, i would choose the maratac personally

Sos24

Enlightened
I've only had one Maratac (AA from CountyComm) and did not like it due to the visible pwm flicker. I cannot say if all Maratacs have that or whether it would bother you, but it did really irritate me.

As far as EagleTac, I own both D25c and D25a. They have been reliable and I really like both of them, although I prefer the tail clickie UI over twisty (except in keychain light).

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
D25c, i think that is the titanium eagtac i had. I don't like the ui and it is the one that got extremely hot in a short amount of time.

Luckily I am not affected by pwm. The aaa maratac might be the only one without it, i can't recall.

I think many love both brands, so it will be tough

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I absolutely love my Maratac AA stainless steel model. Just extremely reliable.

Bird09

Newly Enlightened
I could write quite a bit as to why I really like my Maratac aaa copper flashlight. The threads are extremely smooth and the beam is beautiful. Not one issue after about a year, keeping it on my keychain, being thrown around. It seems very efficient and I would recommend Maratac without reservation.

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
I carried the Eagletac D25A for 9 months, the Maratac AAA Rev.5 (copper) for 9 months, and the Maratac AA Rev.5 (copper) for 1 month.

Of the three, I liked the Maratac AAA best, but I lost it and I am waiting for it to go on sale before replacing it.

If you are getting the Eagletac be sure to get the Nichia driver, otherwise there's no comparison.

Setting aside the driver, the clicky interface is better on the Eagletac than the twisty is on the Maratac, imho. But that Eagletac clicker wobbled on tail stand, and the Eagletac has a reputation for being unreliable - sure enough mine failed after 9 months. It's probably a bad solder joint in the circuitry, but as I can't remove the pill I'll never know for sure.

Size-wise, the Eagletac AA is in the middle, coming between the larger Maratac AA and the smaller AAA. The Maratac AA is too large for my EDC tastes, and it isn't enough brighter (if at all) than the Maratac AAA to justify carrying around the extra bulk. It sits in a drawer. Sometimes I use it to read at night.

Setting aside reliability and size, the copper Maratac AAA is simply gorgeous. Actually carrying it everyday in my pocket kept it as shiny as a new penny, except deep in the knurls which took on a green patina and added visual depth. I received complements every time I pulled it out. The biggest downside is the clip doesn't always stay on tight - and one day when I was at a restaurant it dropped on the floor without me realizing...

Dang it, writing this makes me want to order a new one this minute, sale price be dammed.

p.s. I tried a number of lubricants before discovering that putting a little computer hobbyist CPU thermal grease on the Maratac threads worked wonders for the twisty interface - making it much smoother and more reliable. ymmv.

Nichia!

Banned
I have the Maratac aaa and aa in nichia b and c & xpg 3 and xpg 2 in copper and Aluminum and Titanium all of them are beautifully made and I had no issues with them whatsoever..

I also have the Eagletac AA Titanium nichia and XPL Hi and I have the d25c Titanium nichia and they are super awesome lights

If I had to choose only one light from these I will go with the d25c Titanium nichia219b. The tint on this one is the best ever!

I also have the Zebralight sc5 op nw AA

And if I had to choose only one light again it would be the Zebralight!!!! Because it feels rock solid in your hands!!

I recommend you to buy the Zebralight now if you can (if you ok with CW) you will never regret it

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest downside is the clip doesn't always stay on tight - and one day when I was at a restaurant it dropped on the floor without me realizing...

great write up, sorry you lost your light
some thoughts

I agree the clip can come off. But Im not sure that is why your light fell out of your pocket. Even fully captive clips can get caught on things, and that will pull a light out of a pocket. I know of people that refuse to use pocket clips, after losing very expensive lights, with captive clips, that were not easily removable.

IF the maratac clip had pulled off the light, only the clip would have been lost, the light would have stayed in your pocket, without a clip. So imo, though I agree the clip comes off pretty easily, I think it is still on your lost light, and one of the waiters at the restaurant is now enjoying your Maratac, with the clip still on it.

fwiw, the Maratac price atm is much lower than it has been in the past. I would say it is essentially on sale now. The only downside, other than cost, is that the LED is now 219c, no longer 219b. If you PM me, I might be able to help you get a 219b version.

also fwiw, the Lumintop Titanium Tool is still available, and is listed as still having 219b option. Same removable clip as the Maratac, and it costs less. I find the electronic switch a nice alternative to a twisty. PM me if you cant find one. CPF rules prevent me from sharing links in this forum.

I own half a dozen Maratac AAA lights. I really like them, but atm I do not use them as my taste has migrated to CR123 sized lights and the non twisty interface.

I have and still use a Lumintop Copper Tool from Massdrop, with electronic switch. I put the head of one of my Maratacs with 219b on it, because the Tool came with a 219c, which is not my preference. The TiTool has a different head, it will not lego with a Maratac, nor anything else.

fwiw, IF you go with a Tool, it accepts the New Preon Clip, fully captive, does not pull off. It will still snag and pull the light out of a pocket. Pocket clips are notorious for causing people to lose stuff. Be careful, or abandon clipping.

for size reference:
lWV3xW1.png

I dont clip those lights to my pocket, the clip is only there so I can clip a light to a cap.

I have no Eagletac experience to contribute to this thread.

Last edited:

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
iOr9Cu.jpg

Left to right:
  1. Reylight Pineapple V3 (AA/14500/brass): 114.4g (incl. 20.6g ecogear 14500)
  2. EagleTac D25A (AA/14500/aluminum): 54.4g (incl. 29.9g eneloop pro AA)
  3. Maratac AA Rev.5 with Bead (AA/copper): 78.0g (incl. 4.1g bead, and 29.9g eneloop pro AA)
  4. Reylight Mini (AAA/10440/copper): 45.3g (incl. 9.2g pkcell 10440)

All weights taken on my jeweler's scale, with battery installed. The Reylight Mini AA is almost exactly the same size as the Maratac AAA (which I lost) and should make a decent size/weight comparison. All of these lights are out of rotation and, lacking that automatic pocket-polishing, have started to tarnish. Or, should I say, "develop a patina."

In any case, you can clearly see the Maratac AA is physically smaller than the Eagletac D25A, which directly contradicts what I wrote earlier. I was going on "feelings", and remembered the D25A being smaller. Imagine my surprise when I grabbed it out of the cupboard (why I'm saving a dead light, I don't know) and actually did a side-by-side comparison!

So, I decided to weigh them with batteries installed, and sure enough: the copper weighs considerably more than the aluminum. I felt I had to post this correction.

Alert! I just went to the CountyComm website and they no longer sell the Maratac AA in copper, only titanium. Get 'em while they last, apparently.

p.s. not to hijack the thread, but responding to Mr. Slider... I'd had the light fall out of the pocket a couple times in the prior weeks, so yeah, I reckon you're right about some waiter getting it, clip and all. They denied it when I called them, but, heh, I couldn't blame a guy. As far as that goes I've pocket-clipped my lights for years, but maybe you're right and I should just stop. Thanks for the tip on the Lumintop Tool TI, I'm ordering one. It will be my first 219B light, first silver light and first titanium light - ergo, an excellent addition to the collection.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
great info pbnelson
one thing about weighing lights with batteries, is some battery types are heavier than others

I applaud your updating that the ET is taller... even more, I applaud you posting weights.. the ET weigh almost an ounce less..

I hope you enjoy your TiTool, I hope it really does have a 219b, as the ad says.

IF you own a light with 219c, you may be able to compare and figure out what is in the TiTool. The 219c is noticeably greener than the 219b.

If you can confirm that the TiTool does in fact still have a 219b, I know someone that will want to copy you. I am not aware of the Lumintop TiTool ever having been offered with 219c, only 219b. The exception are the Massdrop offerings, since they have been built more recently, at the request of Massdrop, they have gone to 219c. Maratac also is using 219c, they are also built by Lumintop afaik, so they have followed the same shift to 219c...

Last edited:

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
Slightly off topic thread hijacking, but... I did order the Lumintop Tool Ti, on eBay. It says it has a "Nichia 219BT." It's on the slow boat from China, but only cost $35.95, so if it's really what was advertised, it seems like a steal. I'll know in 4-10 weeks, heh. On the plus side, it's free shipping and no sales tax. To anyone interested in this deal, they still have "more than 10 available", just search eBay for "Lumintop TOOL Ti Titanium AAA 80Lumen Nichia 219BT LED Flashlight+Gift Pack." Not sure if it was even on the OP's radar, but he may want to consider this one?

p.s. I also ordered a Maratac AAA (copper) from CountyComm, so in a week I can take actual comparison pictures and weigh-ins.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congratulations!

I look forward to your comparison of the beam tints, since we know the Maratac is 219c, it will be pretty obvious if the TiTool is not 219b.

here is a pic of a 219c and a couple 219b
the 219c at the top, is noticeably greener (and has 30% higher output)
your TiTool should have the same LED as the 4000k 219b on the bottom
vYp7sBEl.png

regarding Maratac compared to Eagletac, both with 219b, I have heard that Eagletac chose a greener version, with higher output, than the 219b in the TiTool

So IF you own a 219b Eagletac (some are 219c also), I will be very interested in seeing it in a triple beamshot lineup with your TiTool 219b and Maratac 219c

beamshot tips:
please do not shoot separate beamshots for each light, it is essential that they be together, for their relative tint to be seen, and if you have white balance control, use daylight white balance. If using a phone camera, with no auto white balance, take the photo during the day, it will help fool the white balance towards daylight. Lay the lights on a piece of printer paper, it works very well as a White Wall Impersonator.. (you can also fold the paper at 90 degrees for a really nice image)

Last edited:

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened
I just received the d3a from eagtac with nichia led and although it has great tint and very simple UI there were some quality issues. Both of the pocket clip screw threads were stripped out so I had to just take the clip off, with my protected 14500's(nitecore & orbitronic) it's nearly impossible to tighten the head enough to use group 2, audible whining sound on high, and the threads of the head are made of copper and seem like they will wear fast. I think it's a neat little light but not for $75 bucks.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the d3a from eagtac with nichia led
Both of the pocket clip screw threads were stripped
with my protected 14500's(nitecore & orbitronic) it's nearly impossible to tighten the head
audible whining sound on high
the threads of the head are made of copper and seem like they will wear fast.

Congrats on your Titanium host with 219c

this thread may help you with the battery length and whining, it suggests Eneloop may be a better option
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?453728

or, ET sells a low profile button-top 3.7V 14500 li-ion protected battery,
and youre right, in that link there is someone else that has the same Nitecore brand you do, and they use the ET battery because they are shorter than the Nitecore

the threads are brass, not as soft as copper, dont worry.. I have copper lights and the threads are fine, what wears out is the Oring..

with stripped screw holes, I would return it, as that would bug me
Let us know if it only whines with LiIon or if it also whines with AA batteries

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Am sure that the eBay Ti tool is using Nichia C..

Lumintop started to offer the nichia C in their lights when they changed the box ( originally they used gift box and now they are using regular cardboard box )

But they only way to be 100% sure is it open the head of the tool ti and take a look at the led it self

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised the op hasn't been back since posting

Oh I've been following everyone's replies! Interesting suggestions so far. I especially agree with the comments about the tool ti. I've had one for a few months and it has become one of my go-to lights! Just looking for better capacity offered by AA cell without the need for a speciality cell if I'm away from home.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking for ultra compact, what about a zebralight? Although it wouldn't be titanium

Out of the original choices, i still choose maratac over eagtac

Last edited:

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
Am sure that the eBay Ti tool is using Nichia C.. Lumintop started to offer the nichia C in their lights when they changed the box ( originally they used gift box and now they are using regular cardboard box )

The auction title is "Lumintop TOOL Ti Titanium AAA 80Lumen Nichia 219BT LED Flashlight+Gift Pack." Keywords 219BT and Gift. Further down the page, the auction text description includes the sentence "This is Nichia 219BT LED version". Again with the 219BT. So, possibly I'm being scammed, but I did at least order the right thing.

I promise to do a side-by-side beam photo once it arrives, but as it is being shipped "FREE ePacket delivery from China | Item location: Shenzhen, China"... check back in a month.