Recommendations - Surefire Fury vs. Peacekeeper 18650

SixStars

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I'm new to CPF but not new to flashlights. A quick introduction and then I'll get to my questions so I don't bore anyone. I discovered Surefire flashlights about 5 years ago. I had been a long time Mag Lite user. Well, after I purchased my first 6PX Pro I was hooked. I sold all of my Mag Lites and replaced them with 6PX Pro's. Great light for the money and perfect for sitting in the glovebox if you have multiple vehicles. Eventually purchased an X300 weapon light for my Glocks, and then a P2X Fury. I'm a USA tool fanatic, work on cars regularly, own firearms, and I'm a flashlight-aholic in the works. I've been reading a lot of posts on CPF and up until now, I thought that I knew a lot about flashlights. I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge that is shared on CPF. Ok enough about me.

I do have some questions that are more than just Fury vs. Peacekeeper. From the specs I've read they seem to be very similar, maybe even the same light except for their batteries and bore size. Looking at the 600/15 versions. Fury is of coarse cr123a while Peacekeeper is 18650.

So here is what I need help with. I've thought about the Fury with 16650 and then choosing a good quality charger, or just going with the Peacekeeper and it's 18650 and SF charger. I don't know what would be the best option. Are there any advantages to my "rechargeable" Fury option? Run time? Output? Better cell options than what SF would offer in an 18650? Better charger option than what comes with the Peacemaker from SF?

What would you recommend? Thank you.

Last edited:

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Recommendations - Surefire Fury 16650 vs. Peacemaker 18650

Are you aware Surefire has a Fury IB (intellibeam) Dual Fuel light that takes one of their new 18650 with an integrated micro USB charger in the battery? It is 15-1500 lumens with the 18650 or you can use the 123 batteries and get 15-1100 lumens. I have the non-IB version and love it. Check out their website if you want more information.

If you already have the Peacekeeper the 18650 with the integrated microUSB port is compatible based on what I saw on their website.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello everyone. I'm new to CPF but not new to flashlights. A quick introduction and then I'll get to my questions so I don't bore anyone. I discovered Surefire flashlights about 5 years ago. I had been a long time Mag Lite user. Well, after I purchased my first 6PX Pro I was hooked. I sold all of my Mag Lites and replaced them with 6PX Pro's. Great light for the money and perfect for sitting in the glovebox if you have multiple vehicles. Eventually purchased an X300 weapon light for my Glocks, and then a P2X Fury. I'm a USA tool fanatic, work on cars regularly, own firearms, and I'm a flashlight-aholic in the works. I've been reading a lot of posts on CPF and up until now, I thought that I knew a lot about flashlights. I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge that is shared on CPF. Ok enough about me.

I do have some questions that are more than just Fury vs. Peacemaker. From the specs I've read they seem to be very similar, maybe even the same light except for their batteries and bore size. Looking at the 600/15 versions. Fury is of coarse cr123a while Peacemaker is 18650.

So here is what I need help with. I've thought about the Fury with 16650 and then choosing a good quality charger, or just going with the Peacemaker and it's 18650 and SF charger. I don't know what would be the best option. Are there any advantages to my "rechargeable" Fury option? Run time? Output? Better cell options than what SF would offer in an 18650? Better charger option than what comes with the Peacemaker from SF?

What would you recommend? Thank you.

I think you mean PeaceKEEPER, but really you seem to understand them well enough that you would be well served getting either one. I have several 16650s that I use in both of my 6Ps, my C2 and a couple of other lights. The Keeppower brand even matches the capacity of my 18650s that I have. Although having strictly 18650 lights might be an advantage in that you never have to worry about a suddenly hard to find cell...keeping the light to it's original smaller size can be nice too.

The only thing I could even think of being an influence here is the fact that the Fury isn't purpose built to run on the lower voltage of a single 16650 and so may only stay lit 60-70% of it's capacity. My thinking here is based on the Fury being expected to run on 6 volts from the start and not 4 volts. Where as the Peacekeeper is designed to work with the lower starting voltage of an 18650. I think one would have to perform some runtime tests to confirm this actually has an effect though.

Did you know that Surefire is now making a Duel Fuel Fury, designed to run on either 123As OR an 18650? It's got a bump up in lumens as well.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

They have different modes, the Fury comes on in low and second press activates high, the Peacekeep is designed for LEO work and comes on in high with a second press to activate low.

I have a Fury that I bored to accept a 18650 and the only advantage over the 16650 is extra run time. So it really depends on how long you expect to run it for and if you will benefit from the extra MaH's that a 18650 can provide.

The Fury functions fine on Li-ions.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to intrude with another question, but is it necessary to use the Surefire branded, micro USB rechargeable battery with the dual fuel Fury?

Qship1996

Enlightened

Sorry to intrude with another question, but is it necessary to use the Surefire branded, micro USB rechargeable battery with the dual fuel Fury?

No,but you must use a battery capable of delivering enough amps to meet the lights demand.

Jose Marin

Enlightened

I own both fury (self bored) and p1r. Id recommend the p1r dual mode (mainly for 18650 capacity and itellibeam isnt my cup of tea) as long as youre ok with high coming on first. They both seem to have the same driver minus the fact of how the modes are programmed. Here's a runtime chart for both, sorry dont have 16650 on there but it would probably be 15-20 mins behind or so of the 18650

e7QHwmM.jpg

SixStars

Newly Enlightened

Are you aware Surefire has a Fury IB (intellibeam) Dual Fuel light that takes one of their new 18650 with an integrated micro USB charger in the battery? It is 15-1500 lumens with the 18650 or you can use the 123 batteries and get 15-1100 lumens. I have the non-IB version and love it. Check out their website if you want more information.

If you already have the Peacekeeper the 18650 with the integrated microUSB port is compatible based on what I saw on their website.

I'm aware of the newest version and I'm not crazy about the intellibeam. I haven't had an opportunity to play with one but just on the surface I don't like my light choosing the output for me. The output and dual battery options are enticing though. I'm also not sure what I think yet about the battery being charged via the battery itself. Thanks!

SixStars

Newly Enlightened

I think you mean PeaceKEEPER, but really you seem to understand them well enough that you would be well served getting either one. I have several 16650s that I use in both of my 6Ps, my C2 and a couple of other lights. The Keeppower brand even matches the capacity of my 18650s that I have. Although having strictly 18650 lights might be an advantage in that you never have to worry about a suddenly hard to find cell...keeping the light to it's original smaller size can be nice too.

The only thing I could even think of being an influence here is the fact that the Fury isn't purpose built to run on the lower voltage of a single 16650 and so may only stay lit 60-70% of it's capacity. My thinking here is based on the Fury being expected to run on 6 volts from the start and not 4 volts. Where as the Peacekeeper is designed to work with the lower starting voltage of an 18650. I think one would have to perform some runtime tests to confirm this actually has an effect though.

Did you know that Surefire is now making a Duel Fuel Fury, designed to run on either 123As OR an 18650? It's got a bump up in lumens as well.

That's what I get for allowing auto correct to assist me with typing. Great information! This is exactly why I posted. Thanks!

SixStars

Newly Enlightened

They have different modes, the Fury comes on in low and second press activates high, the Peacekeep is designed for LEO work and comes on in high with a second press to activate low.

I have a Fury that I bored to accept a 18650 and the only advantage over the 16650 is extra run time. So it really depends on how long you expect to run it for and if you will benefit from the extra MaH's that a 18650 can provide.

The Fury functions fine on Li-ions.

I forgot about the P1R starting out on high. That would take some getting used to. Did you bore yourself? Any issues with voltage as lightfooted mentioned? Thanks!

SixStars

Newly Enlightened

Thank you everyone for all of the information. Final question, for now. For those of you who do use rechargeables, is there anything to be concerned with from a safety standpoint? I've read some of the sticky's and it made me a bit nervous that if I did not maintain the cells properly that I could really get myself into trouble. I'm also concerned that properly maintaining cells can be a time consuming process. Maybe since I'm new I'm simply over thinking things or just being paranoid. I'm used to charging batteries like Milwaukee 12v or 18v which don't really require much if any thought. They're basically set it and forget it. Thanks again!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot about the P1R starting out on high. That would take some getting used to. Did you bore yourself? Any issues with voltage as lightfooted mentioned? Thanks!

I did bore it myself and there has been no issue with the voltage.