Rofis thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To start, if one of these already exists please merge or other appropriate action would be prudent. The advanced search is not back up yet.

This could be the official okee-dokee Rofis flashlight thread (if there isn't one already).

Not long ago in flashlight history I saw the new brand spoken of and figured eh, same ole same ole deal that'll be gone by Christmas. Well it turns out those folks are serious. Yet there is little Rofis talk around here.

I saw prices and figured that was perhaps part of the reason. I personally was reluctant to try them. But one day an R2 showed up in my mailbox as a gift from a flashaholic of long ago who still plays with lights but not on a grand scale anymore. It is the neutral version (I think) or it's a mighty neutral leaning cool. Think Malkoff N tint.

Over a weekend I played around with the nifty bendy head and quickly figured out the UI without instructions. A cross between a Streamlight Stinger press n hold adjust and a four sevens paladin where x clicks, or hold x seconds from off etc can reveal other stuff.

It has memory. Cool. I really liked the medium setting for brightness with fuel mileage. And each time it is turned on... My favorite setting is back. Eh, I tried to work with the clip. Not being a big fan of clips most of the time I had no qualms with my R2 being clipless. I set it down near my car keys when "thwttt' my keys were sucked up against the magnetic tailcap. Neeeeeeet!!

So later on it was dark so it was time to take it outdoors. High mode (300 lumens stated) was certainly bright. It's a throwey spiller. But my favorite setting was confirmed. 90 (stated) lumens lit up plenty of area where if I were jogging in the woods I'd have plenty of warning of upcoming hazards (visually). Yet my peripherals are not blinded using medium.

Low is said to be 5 lumens (with a 0.5 moonlight available), which in my world is great at 2am. Enough light to show me my black dog is on the floor in my path or worse an ankle twisting ball he left on the floor that nearly matches my carpet.

The supplied AA sized rechargeable is said to be a bit over 3 volts, yet the R2 can achieve medium or low on an alkaline or lithium from the store. I charged it from the box without checking current voltage remaining and in about 20 minutes it was done. But no warmth was noted at the connection point.

When I removed the clip it required using a twist motion with a flathead screwdriver between the clip and body. It's attached for real. So it had a couple of small blemishes after. Tells me whatever the coating, it's pretty tough. I dropped it on my sidewalk a few times (since the first scratches were already there) from about waist high, then shoulder high and it never flinched or flickered.

The magnetc charge point holds nice n tight and is said to be capable of charging under water. Uh, um...I'll take their word for that. I figure if it that plays out, my NiteCore D4 will get it done so no worries about that. Yet while it works it's a pretty cool idea.

IMG-20190424-114900.jpg

Don't tell Mrs Fixer I used her car to test the magnet.
Held the poultry scissors easily.

IMG-20190424-115047.jpg

On/off button on the rear when in right angle mode.
When in straight mode it takes some getting used to since the button is pretty flat. After a few tries I could easily find it.

IMG-20190424-115114.jpg

Shows the charger cord and location.

IMG-20190424-115333.jpg

Medium at 1am
Across the appox 30 foot hotel room the medium is plenty bright to see in case of fire.

IMG-20190424-115429.jpg

On low at 1am identifies dark objects a few feet away.

IMG-20190424-163300.jpg

Stainless bezel ring is knick free after a couple of drops-ees.

IMG-20190424-163339.jpg

Compared to the 2C Mag ML25, 4x aaa Coast HP7 zoomer, a PKDL 1x123 PR-1 and 1x aaa PL2.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been interested in this light for a while, but lack funding.

You might want to consider editing the subject line to include R2.

Keep us updated on your thoughts about this light.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Rofis does have their own subforum here on CPF, including a thread on this R2, but it is fine if OP would like to keep this one separate from the manufacturer thread(s)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I started this mentioning my R2 to begin a discussion with the idea to discuss Rofis in general in one thread instead of a bunch of model specific types.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I will continue the conversation from the AA for travel thread here too.

The Diffuser is from an old CountyComm order that had made. These are little plastic tubes that are thread to screw together and they can expand in volume along the threads.

6503eba02e01ca59c223fc7d9d99a29c.jpg
dfe97070de6c36397f3779744cd9ee8f.jpg

A 123 battery fits inside and so does an 18650 and as you have seen the top section slides right onto the R2 too!

79f99f6c8d455a796ec9d683201c6451.jpg
a2fb1edb487e22da6b296196ad985e80.jpg

The R2 head measures about 7/8" on my sizing bar and while trying to find a clear film canister to drill for that I came across these again and BAM!

10524f0d26f97ccdf23b86b6c592e35b.jpg

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it turns out that though the diffuser fits and looks fine it does not really do much diffusing in the end?
So I am considering spraying something on/in it to make it more opaque and I have also just made a new one from a clear 35mm canister.

Live & Learn!