Wuben        
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The HDSRB Project

Default Re: The HDSRB Project

I can finally post again!

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    "There are approximately 10 pieces available for purchase. Please enter your emails here, buyers will be randomly selected and contacted over the weekend:

https://forms.gle/YkL3gFgJYKborw71A"

So has anyone been contacted yet? Hoping no news is good news..... today. That only "works" if no notices have been sent.... Fingers' crossed...

I delayed the drawing to see how many get delivered over the weekend, there were a bunch stuck in USPS limbo (the weather is wrecking logistics) but a few of those did get delivered over the weekend.

I'm going to draw 5 buyers today, and postpone the remainder until the bulk of the rest gets to their owners. I'm, considering shipping the rest via UPS, their tracking is a bit more reliable these days.

Default Re: The HDSRB Project - PREORDER LIVE

The first 5 winners have been contacted. The remainders will be drawn sometime midweek pending USPS deliveries.

Thanks everyone!

Flashaholic

My first impression in hand was that I had received the right thing but the wrong size. They're (relatively-speaking) tiny! I didn't have an HDS nearby to adjust my size expectations. This was quickly rectified.

I grabbed 2 High CRI NB4 200 lm 18650 rotaries so I can compare side-by-side. The new hostspot reminded me of the Nichia McGizmo Mahi that I have, so I grabbed it off the shelf as well.

I'll attempt some side-by-side gray-wall beamshots.

Flashaholic

I should say that I'm very happy with it so far during the daytime. Hopefully I'll make it out with the dogs tonight.

Also note: Lubrication of the O-ring really helps when screwing it all the way down.

White wall hunting shots[*]:

Left: Nichia Mahi, Right: NB4 w/HDSRB

Left: NB4, Right: NB4 w/HDSRB
    [*] Beam shots are hard when you're alone with very little wall space available for taking them. I took these with my phone in one hand while holding both lights in the other roughly 6-8 feet from the wall.
    Last edited by tyu; 02-22-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Glad you got it safe and sound and thanks for the beamshots! A couple people asked me but I haven't had the chance so these are very helpful
    Last edited by Ozythemandias; 02-22-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Flashaholic

At night looking down into the arroyo at the base of a power/phone pole : 213 ft (65 m) away (measured with Google Maps' "Measure Distance"). Photo taken with phone...

Stock NB4:

NB4 w/HDSRB:
    Last edited by tyu; 02-22-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Great shots!!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Great beam shots!! Can't wait to receive mine

looking great - thanks for the nice beamshots

Arrived today. Excellent work Ozy, I couldnít imagine how difficult itís been coordinating this project. The wait was so worth it.
    I absolutely love it, thank you!

OZY THANK YOU SO MUCH!

WHY DIDN'T I BUY TWO?

This thing is absolutely amazing, it's still wicked pocket-able. Thrilled to be apart of this, how about a run of OP reflectors next time?

Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011
    List of my lights!

Great beamshots tyu Tried and tried to get mine to load, never had any luck.

Almost all of the extras have been shipped or are waiting for payment from the sign up sale winners. There are still 2-3 preorders in transit. I've moved to UPS for the latest wave of shipments. I have 2-3 held back waiting until everything is delivered so if you entered the sign up sale theres still a chance (or if a winner that didn't yet pay yet cancels).

I'm pleased everyone like them! I know it's been a terribly long wait, don't forget to redeem those free swag coupons

There were a lot of comments about size, i might as well share some of my thought process. I wanted this to have the HDS aesthetic, which is basically smooth on the bevels and knurled on the straights, with a stainless crenelated bezel. The angle of the head follows the angle on the battery tube (gotta be consistant) and the overall concept was intended to be pocketable, in a generous pocket at least.

Would be silly to have a huge thrower with 300 lumens. The HDSRB is more of a compact turbo HDS, and the larger reflector ensures you're wasting as little as possible of the output. An important factor in a 300 lumen light

Got mine a couple days ago. Excellent work!! The increase throw is huge for how small is!! Iíd buy another immediately if I could. Perfect machining as well, very well built.

Wow this is such a nice aftermarket upgrade! Beautiful fit and finish, totally HDS aesthetics, and perfectly proportioned for the 18650 tube. Beam looks kinda similar to the Makai.

Thanks Ozy!

http://imgur.com/a/ha6A9Kd
    Last edited by djj; 02-26-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Wow, amazing craftsmanship on this thing. I Am more than impressed, and could not be any happier. Thank you so much, Ozythemandias!

Looks like the vast majority are delivered. I'm very pleased that everyone seems to like them. When the idea came to me, I knew I had to have one, seems I'm not the only person that felt that way. There are 1-2 I still have that are allocated to people and waiting for payments, but let's talk about another run!

The machinist is willing to have another go at it. There was a lot of time and effort and costs put into developing and figuring these out so it makes sense for him to leverage all that by producing more. Due to the delays of the original run, I really want to avoid a full preorder and be beholden to everyone until delivery, but I do need to figure out how many to manufacture.

Instead of a full preorder, I think I'm going to take a 25% deposit, just to get a sense of committed buyers. I won't take the payment balance until the machining is complete and I'm ready to order the reflectors. This way, any machining delays will be mitigated as you won't be paying in full until after the head is machined and ready for a reflector.

Thoughts, questions or concerns?

Thoughts:

Yes.

Questions:

When can you take my money?

Concerns:

Not getting another one.

Post Script: OP reflectors possible maybe? I will follow this up with I have full recognition of how big of a stretch this is, so feel free to summarily execute this idea if it makes you secretly die inside.
    List of my lights!

I would happily get another one because theyíre amazing! I agree with OP Reflector, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Thoughts, questions or concerns?
    Can I ask what the prospective cost would be for a second run? Still around $300? Because I am definitely interested in one of these.
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrowned View Post
    Can I ask what the prospective cost would be for a second run? Still around $300? Because I am definitely interested in one of these.
    The cost will likely be the same. The first run was discounted a little for the preorder, the second preorder will be priced similarly.

Regarding OP, that's up to the reflector manufacturer so we'll see what they say. If that fails and you're feeling adventurous, you can always try this

Iíd be in for one on this run.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Iím loving the throw on this thing.

Question, anyone have an HDS modded with an Osram?
    I would love to see how it performs with this head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    you can always try this
    That gives me anxiety thinking about doing to this beautiful HDSRB.... but very interesting I am definitely going to give that a shot on some other reflectors I have thanks!

But sounds good either way. I'm in either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid9P View Post
    Iím loving the throw on this thing.

Question, anyone have an HDS modded with an Osram?
    I would love to see how it performs with this head.
    The throw is really impressive. I actually meant to say, the HDSRB with the 4000K XP-L easily passes my "warehouse test" which is one of the tougher "courses" I put my lights through. Very impressive for it's size and output, very few lights pass this test with ~300lm and an overall size this small minus those with the hot-rod Osrams...

Which yes, I do believe a few people have had Osram W1/ W2s dropped into theirs. I think someone on either here or BLF did one where they also swapped the board for copper for higher outputs (HDS of Theseus?)- but I do also believe that there was someone somewhere in the HDS Forum that reflowed one into their Rotary.
    List of my lights!

I missed the primary sale, I failed on the lottery....so I am in for sure for one!!

Flashaholic*

At least one HDSRB reached Germany! After a longer stay @customs die to Corona I picked the parcel up today. I mounted it on a NB40 HDS. The much more focused beam is quite impressive. Great product...

Pictures will come later. It is almost evening here.
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 03-05-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    "It makes me feel great! Smarter! More aggressive! I feel like I could... like I could... like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!" (Purple Tentacle)

Iím definitely in for one.

just let me know when you need the funds.

HDSRB Run #2 Preorder is Live!

THIS WILL BE RUN SIMILARLY TO THE FIRST RUN. YOU ARE RESERVING YOUR HDSRB BY PURCHASING A GIFT CARD FOR ~25% OF THE TOTAL PREORDER PRICE ($250+SH).

Once machining is complete I will invoice everyone for the balance +SH. You'll enter your gift card code to apply the credit and pay the balance and the reflectors will be put into production. Doing it like this mitigates the chances of me holding on to everyone's funds in the event of machining delays

.Lead time: Due to my experience with the previous run I'm super hesitant to provide a lead time, which is why I'm only asking for a 25% deposit. I do have to establish expectations, so I'm estimating everything should be completed by the end of August. I'm hoping for sooner, but it's also about half the time the first run took. Consider it an estimation, not a commitment. Once all the machining is complete you'll be notified and we'll put the reflectors into production.

https://swag.photonphreaks.com/collections/flashlight-of-the-month/products/gift-card?variant=32040845639776

WOOHOO!!
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Great news.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast