NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The HDSRB Project

Default The HDSRB Project

Some of you may already be aware of this project from FB but now that it's becoming closer to reality I'll share it here.

The idea is to create a "head" that replaces the existing reflector and bezel to increase throw and add functionality to the HDS light you ready own. The LED and beloved driver/UI will remained unchanged, and the design is intended to follow Henry's philosophies of Robust Durability and Reliability.

Since it's not a new head per se, I'm calling it the HDSRB for HD(S)earch & Rescue Bezel

Ballpark price will be around $300 per HDSRB. Creating a high quality, custom US Made reflector in small batches is shockingly pricey! The entirety of the unit will be Made In The US to the highest standards and will feature a custom reflector and UCL glass. I ran a quick poll on FB and received enough interest to pursue it so I'll be making an run of only 25 units, one of which will be mine of course. I hope to have prototypes in hand within a week or so. I'm unsure if there will be additional production runs after the initial 25pcs, that depends on demand and more importantly, if the machinist will be willing/ have time.

It's all very much still in the development stages, here's a rough sketch of it on an 18650 body:

Default Re: The HDSRB Project

Are you taking orders? Do you have the measurements of the reflector - length and width?

Oh. This seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Are you taking orders? Do you have the measurements of the reflector - length and width?
    I hope to avoid pre-orders.

More details will be available later, as it's still being prototyped a lot of the details are in flux right now

Well Iíll be darned! About time someone started thinking outside the box. This looks very good Iím sure enough of us would be interested in this to make it happen.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    I hope to avoid pre-orders.

More details will be available later, as it's still being prototyped a lot of the details are in flux right now
    Okay. Something to keep in the back of your mind. I have a V2 Thrunite Catapult that throws a beam of light over 100 yards using only 170 lumens. If I could do that with my HDS...

With reflectors, design is everything.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Okay. Something to keep in the back of your mind. I have a V2 Thrunite Catapult that throws a beam of light over 100 yards using only 170 lumens. If I could do that with my HDS...

With reflectors, design is everything.
    It's pretty clear from the prototype sketch this isn't going to be as enormous as the catapult, and HDS doesn't use domeless emitters, so that's completely unreasonable.
    Find all my reviews of flashlights, pens, chargers, and more at https://www.bmengineer.com

Interesting idea. What's the candela/distance target?
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by bmengineer View Post
    It's pretty clear from the prototype sketch this isn't going to be as enormous as the catapult, and HDS doesn't use domeless emitters, so that's completely unreasonable.
    The intended takeaway from my comment is that with reflectors, design is everything. Clearly, there are limitations in working from the Bezel. My Catapult does not have a domeless emitter.

That's super cool. I recall campaigning for something like this in the suggestions thread a while ago.

Since custom made reflectors are expensive, have you considered using an optic? Something like Oveready uses in their DIP drop ins and e-series heads seems like it would be about the right size and provides good throw.

Hats off to you for taking the initiative and making it happen. I know it's a lot of work to pull something like this off.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Flashaholic*

Very interesting Project, and a cool idea! Depending on the price I'd be interested getting one of this sets.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

To be able to carry this with you in the outdoors. Maybe in a hogo style holster next to your HDS. Would be awesome!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I donít have any of HDS torches but this project (even in Ti) could easily push me over the edge...

Iím really interested to see where this goes! I carry a HDS every day at work, but I also often need something with more throw than it can offer.
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Random Dan, I considered a TIR but that sorta felt like cutting corners. My goal is when youíre holding it in your hands you get that feeling that only HDS gives you. I want this to feel like HDS through and through, not like youíre holding an HDS with an aftermarket attachment. A lot of the design decisions like this are informed by asking myself ďWhat would Henry do?Ē

Flashaholic

Hot damn, doing God's work!

You can for-sure count me in on this, that looks great. Totally behind this!!!

Are you in contact with Henry at all to seek any advice on problem or issues that may spring there ugly head?

I recall Hogo said if someone wants to make spare parts for HDS, as long as those parts meet HDS standards they will put a link to that maker on their website. I wonder if they might be willing to provide you a link on their webpage if they liked your design enough. That would almost certainly guarantee you would be making and selling more than 25 I would think.

definitely interested to see how this all turns out. If the end results are worth the investment; I might be interested in one.

I do not do social media; so i am glad that you posted here as well. I'd also be interested to know the results when used with the different emitter options.

I hope this all works out for you. I imagine you will easily be able to come up with enough interest for at least 2 runs if not many more. The only downside possibly might be that some really like the profile of the light the way it is...how many will be ok with the larger head.

i'd definitely be willing to at least try one if the results are worth the premium( head costing as much as an entire light)

I'm actually surprised it wouldn't cost more. Small runs are not cheap. Hell, large runs are not cheap. Being this is using a reflector just compounds it.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

If you have the final design and it turns out a lot of people are liking and buying it, could there be a possible version in titanium?

Maybe in a later run, that would be cool for those with the Ti rotaries.

I'd be in...... nice project. Facebook....what's facebook!! Aagh!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post

It's all very much still in the development stages, here's a rough sketch of it on an 18650 body:

Love the concept Ozy! Iíve always wanted more throw in an HDS. Ive always thought that a longer throw HDS would fit perfect in their product line. Maybe this will force Henry and Dan to come up with something before you do lol

All aboard the hype plane!

Expressed interest on FB, expressing interest here also.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

I can't think right now but have you thought about that startup site or whatever it's called?

Would allow us to fund the project so you would be able to get all the funds before the process actually takes place.

I purchased an Australian flashlight through this process and they had/have their own thread here, kind of like what you are doing.

They did something similar to what hogo did where there was a lower initial cost when you donated funding for the project.

Anyway, just wondering if you looked into that option or if you had something else in mind

Can't wait to see/hear the updates as the project evolves

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I can't think right now but have you thought about that startup site or whatever it's called?

Would allow us to fund the project so you would be able to get all the funds before the process actually takes place.

I purchased an Australian flashlight through this process and they had/have their own thread here, kind of like what you are doing.

They did something similar to what hogo did where there was a lower initial cost when you donated funding for the project.

Anyway, just wondering if you looked into that option or if you had something else in mind

Can't wait to see/hear the updates as the project evolves
    Kickstarter...Iíve joined funding on a few projects, some went to fruition others did not. The Apollo Penlight and the Reylight Ti Lan V3 went this way and made it to production OK. Not sure how it works from the sellers side but Iíd sure pledge!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Thanks for the clarification, i couldn't recall correctly.

I know it won't happen in this particular case because I believe there is enough interest....but what happens if people contribute and the project falls short for funding or the project doesn't come to completion? I would think the people would be refunded but maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, i couldn't recall correctly.

I know it won't happen in this particular case because I believe there is enough interest....but what happens if people contribute and the project falls short for funding or the project doesn't come to completion? I would think the people would be refunded but maybe not
    As I remember, youíre not charged until the project is fully funded and production starts.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Thanks.
    I'm curious what ozzy's plans are....he might just be focusing on the actual product first.

I just wanted to throw the thought out there just in case he was thinking about options

Not much to add, but Iíd interested. This would be a great addition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast