Suggestions on keychain light for wife(Pelican L1?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all im not a newbie so i know about most of the keychain lights with the Arc AAA being the reigning king of course. I need to replace my wives keychain light yet AGAIN after first giving her the UK 2aaa E-LED, and now she has a silver CMG Sonic. the UK broke(something inside the lense broke and was rattling around) and I just don't like the CMG Sonic. it's quality, in my opinion, is nowhere near that of an Arc AAA, and I just don't feel comfortable having her rely on it.

I really like the Pelican L1 due to the easy "woman friendly" tailcap switch but from what i've seen, the runtime sucks. what im looking for is something that's got good runtime, easy battery replacement, easy operation, and that can "wow/impress" on occasion. is there anything that can be easily modded on the L1 that can increase the runtime? i've heard of only using 3 button cells and 1 "dummy" cell or a nut to increase runtime??? i can handle a loss in brightness as i understand the L1 is superbright to start off with. would like it to be at least as bright as an Arc AAA.

there's also the PT Eclipse 2 but im worried that she wouldn't understand to use the dimming capability to save battery power.

can anyone help? would really like to try the L1

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You might check with Lambda and see if he has any of the modified SL KeyMate's left. Luexon driven by a Arc-Mania board and a "N" cell. Bright!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops! forgot to mention that im trying to keep the cost under $20. that's why im not just getting her an Arc AAA.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Give her $20.00 worth of the those key-chain lights that Countrycomm sells! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Give her $20.00 worth of the those key-chain lights that Countrycomm sells! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, that's okay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif not a big fan of the "everday" led keychains lights. the PT Eclipse 2 is about as far as i'd go for those type, which seems like everyone has.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello 4x4Dragon,

I understand that if you take one battery out of the L1 and replace it with a proper sized nut (or dummy cell spacer), you will do very little to the visible brightness and double the run time.

Tom

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello 4x4Dragon,

I understand that if you take one battery out of the L1 and replace it with a proper sized nut (or dummy cell spacer), you will do very little to the visible brightness and double the run time.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any experience with this? tried it? i've heard the same thing but would like to confirm before i buy one. i can handle some drop in brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
Re: Suggestions on keychain light for wife(Pelican

In some of the keychain model lines (like the Inova Microlights, for one), the red LED versions use a single large cell, as opposed to the pair of smaller cells used in blue/white/green etc versions. It is claimed (by a few vendors and manufacturers, at least) that the red LED versions consequently have 2x to 3x the battery life of the other colors. So if runtime is your biggest concern, maybe a red light is the way to go, although it probably won't impress brightness-wise.

Looks like BrightGuy carries the Inova Microlights for $6 each. Hmm, at that price, I may have pick up a few myself.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
[ QUOTE ]

do you have any experience with this? tried it? i've heard the same thing but would like to confirm before i buy one. i can handle some drop in brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I have used the little L1 for 2 years in that way.
FYI-output on my light meter:
4-cells="300" minilux units
3-cells="200" " "

Actually, what happens is that the current draw is reduced from 60mA down to 20mA -causing a 3X increase in runtime.

ALSO-I've also discovered that the Lithium L544 can be used in the L1 for full brightness and super long runtime.

2 things about the L544 though...:
1) L544 cell can cost 5-$8.
2) the outer "can" must be removed from this 6 volt battery..-to yield the 2-3 volt lithium cells, and make them Fit perfectly into the battery compartment -(each bare cell is EXACTLY the same size of 2-LR44/357/AG-13/type 76 cells). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Doug,

I never knew that about the L544 cells.

I am in the process of running my batteries down in my light. When it is time to change, I am going to go to 3 cells.

Tom

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have a Streamlight KeyMate that is very bright and attractive.Most of the women that have seen it just love it as it is a cute little light.
I am not sure on the run time as it uses button cells but it is brighter than my ARC premium.
I think it was about 15 dollars but also am not sure about that either.
Pretty nice light all in all and I have seen some modded versions that were even better.
I am not too fond of button cell lights but this one was about the best I had seen.I got it from Galls as I had a credit with them and had to use it up.
I also have carried a Photon(blue LED)for years and it is very handy.Battery change is a little tuff but with limited use it will last for some time.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Suggestions on keychain light for wife(Pelican

Send the UKE 2AAA eLED in for warranty repair. That thing that broke is the battery contact, which is badly designed in that it can fall off or break when you change the batteries. But you shouldn't have to change them that often, so just be a little careful when you do. And I don't think the contact is in much danger of breaking in normal use, except when changing the batteries. Other than that issue, it's a nice little light.

Otherwise, spend the extra $5 and get an Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

popsgee

Newly Enlightened
I don't have one but how about a 1AAA Dorcy. I have an ARC AAA that I realy like, won't break.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have used the little L1 for 2 years in that way.
FYI-output on my light meter:
4-cells="300" minilux units
3-cells="200" " "

Actually, what happens is that the current draw is reduced from 60mA down to 20mA -causing a 3X increase in runtime.

ALSO-I've also discovered that the Lithium L544 can be used in the L1 for full brightness and super long runtime.

2 things about the L544 though...:
1) L544 cell can cost 5-$8.
2) the outer "can" must be removed from this 6 volt battery..-to yield the 2-3 volt lithium cells-(each of which are EXACTLY the same size of 2-LR44/357/AG-13/type 76 cells.
[The two Li cells will fit perfectly into the 4-LR44 space] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thnx! looks like i'll be getting an L1 after all.

i think i'll see if anyone wants to trade for the CMG Sonic