Advice on my new H53w

Strintguy

Enlightened
Hi all, just got an H53c and H53w. They are both nice tints, but after the first use, the 53w only has one high settings. It will allow access to both levels on low and med, but only seems to have one high, despite trying to program with 6 double-clicks. Anybody else have this? Send it back or just live with it?
thanks

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried resetting the light groups to start over again?

I would try that first and also make sure your battery is in good shape before trying to contact ZL or your seller and asking for help.of course you should not just live with it.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply guys, I've looked for factory reset protocol, but can't really get a clear idea of it. Can anyone help?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light has 3 Mode Groups that can each be set in any way that you like.

The default Mode Group is 5 and if you click 5 times from off then you should be in group 5 for sure.

Then from off click 5 clicks 3 times in a row and that group should reset and then you can see if you have more than 1 high mode in Group 5

Does this make sense?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK so if you do 6 clicks from off you should be in Mode Group 6 and it should be set by default just like group 5 would be,try switching groups and see if you still get the same thing.

Likewise 7 clicks from off goes into group 7 and again see if in 7 you get the same.

If so I would say the light needs an RMA.

Also since you do have another one to use for a control try to switch mode groups on the other one too and make sure that you can indeed switch groups at all?
The interface can take a little getting used to but once you do it becomes 2nd nature pretty quickly too.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Ok, that's great info AV, but strangely, both new lights are doing the same thing?? They both only have one high mode is group 5, 6, or 7.... very odd. Wrote to ZL to see what they say. I'll post back when I find out if anyone is interested.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Are you aware that the *visual* difference between ... H1 = 330 Lm and H2 = 275 Lm ... is rather minimal, and may not appear obviously different ?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it is harder to accept that it is the light if they are both acting the same way?

Looks more like Pilot Error from out here if you get what I mean?

Have you been able to make and tell if any programming at all seems to work after trying?

Are you able to change the lowest low for example and see the change?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
what batteries do you use? old ones? buy some new eneloop pro. Your batteries prob cant deliver the juice needed for max.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a regular SC53W and there is not much difference between the H1 levels. The highest High gets too hot, so I programmed to the lowest High.

Btw I have the SC52W as well kind of the same thing. I only use the lowest High.

Maybe your timing with the switch is not right. I think the SC is a little easier to press/control/program compared to H series.

All these with Eneloop.

Last edited:

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
what batteries do you use? old ones? buy some new eneloop pro. Your batteries prob cant deliver the juice needed for max.
+1. I have an older model 1xAA ZL headlamp and, with my old eneloops, it just flickers when I switch between the two high modes and there is no obvious change to the output. When I use a new eneloop pro, it's a bit more pronounced but not by much.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Notice something similar on my new to me H53c. I'm charging an eneloop pro and I'll report back.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
On an Eneloop Pro all "issues" disappear and the there are noticeable albeit SLIGHT differences between the last two highest modes. I don't usually use those in order to conserve battery but they're there if I need it. Also, when I first got a hold of a Zebra I would mess up on programming and miss click a lot. I thought I had a dud for a while too but it was just me. H53c rocks :)

Last edited: