Not! a Right Angle AAA Maratac *NICHIA* in Copper !?!?

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Right Angle Maratac AAA (brass) for my daughter and she loves it for reading at night. The beam is perfect for illuminating one page, perfectly even, not too bright and not too dim. I want one so bad, but, alas, it has that green Cree tinge.

My old eyes have fallen in love with the Nichia219 emitter. So much so in the past year I've bought a Reylight AA Pineapple, Maratac AAA Rev 5 Copper, Maratac AA Copper, and Zebralight ZLH502c flashlight. I can't go back to Cree! But I love the Maratac right-angle lens' perfectly even flood and gorgeous retro styling. Except it uses that danged Cree, as I well know from reading its CountyComm page and viewing my daughter's.

So... imagine my surprise to find eBay sellers marketing a "Maratac Q42 Executive Copper AAA" having "LED Type: Nichia 219 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. ( Newest & Brightest Emitter )." There is more than one seller on eBay, and on the internet, marketing the "Q42" with "Nichia".

My scam radar is going ballistic! Because the Q42 photographs are all identical to the ones on the CountyComm website where the term "Q42" is never used, and the emitter is clearly reported as Cree. Plus, the price of these "Q42" models is always $65 and up, compared to $47 at CountyComm.

What gives? Is there really a Maratac "Q42" version of the Right-Angle AAA in copper using a Nichia emitter? Or is it all a scam, and just I need to wait until CountyComm gets around to ordering a new batch with the updated emitter?

Advice, anyone?

p.s. I got the Zebralight H502c hoping that would work, and although it is a perfectly even light I don't like how floody it is; too much light goes right off the page, so much so I have to use it in medium! brightness. Plus I don't like the boxy styling, or the aluminum construction, which has already scuffed because I dropped it on asphalt. Admittedly its clicky interface is nicer than the twisty interface, but that's not enough.

p.p.s. I've submitted two three-star reviews (as a certified purchaser!) of the Maratac Right Angle AAA light, praising its many qualities and complaining about its lack of a Nichia emitter. Both times my review went into a black hole. I'm very disappointed with CountyComm for this censorship.

Last edited:

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
Re: Scam? a Right Angle AAA Maratac *NICHIA* in Copper !?!?

Since no one seems to have anything to say on this subject I decided it falls to me to confirm or deny the actual presence of a Nichia driver in these "Q42 Executive" models. I've ordered one, and when it arrives I'll do a side-by-side beam shot against my old standard brass right-angle Maratac.

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, yeah, @lynx_arc, I saw that too.

There used to be even more sources on eBay, too, but as of today I could only find one there. Which is why I finally broke down and ordered it. The seller has "free returns, seller pays for shipping, if you receive an item that is not as described in the listing" so... in theory at least there's low risk in this experiment. Here's a screenshot of the original listing. I'm posting it here with reference to Nichia highlighted, in case it changes after the fact:

Mjnbfu.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

The other link (site) also lists about the same info of a Nichia 219C emitter and copper body. At the price I'm guessing that sales of these lights are more limited in purchase to us Flashalholics

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened

Since I paid $70 for this "Q42" from eBay, compared to only $50 if I would have just ordered it from CountyComm directly (where they admit it uses a Cree ), I will be attempting a return.

sRlTF5.jpg

izWSLX.jpg

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Bummer! Hope you get what you're after. Personally I have an Olight H1 Nova headlamp (right-angle light) that works very well for reading. Sure it has a Cree XML2 in NW, (which has a terrible tint in my Nitecore MH20), but with the diffuser-style lens mitigates much of it and the tint is actually pretty neat.

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
Not that I care personally, you understand, but if anyone wants one of these Maratac copper right-angle flood lights with the Cree G2 emitter they are on Drop (formerly MassDrop) right now for $43.75 with shipping, which is a good deal (I know because I've been watching for six months). Which is all the more reason I am committed to getting a refund from my eBay seller for the $70.64 I paid for the exact same flashlight, which is $27 more, for crying out loud. It would be worth it if the flashlight were actually Nichia based, as claimed, but no.

Anyway, here's a link for those who are interested: https://drop.com/buy/maratac-tactical-personal-flood-light

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a right angle 18650 headlamp Wowtac A2S in neutral white but it looks more like an off white or yellowish white.
I guess you can't look at stuff on Drop now without an account.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
how did you tell it's clearly not a nichia 219c? By studying the led itself, or looking at the colour temprature? 219C comes in different tints, and i cant see the sellers claim the 219c is a warm/neutral tinted led. So posting a pic where it got the same tint as the xp-g version is not good proof.

pbnelson

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to take a moment to thank the seller for honoring his return policy. All's well as ends well, as far as this experiment is concerned.

yIYnS4.jpg