2020 Sonata DRL

Magio

Enlightened
So the 2020 Sonata isn't on the road just yet but Hyundai seems to have the DRLS running the full length of the hood crease on both sides. Just curious how that fits in with the regulations.

Excerpt from Topspeed article.
The swept-back design of the headlamp clusters are new and have chrome strips that naturally flow from the LED headlights to the length of the hood. When the car is switched off, these appear to be chrome strips. But once you fire up the engine, the chrome strips turn on along with the Daytime Running Lights in the headlamp cluster. It's dubbed the Hidden Lighting Lamps and we have not seen anything like this on the roads before. Subtlety? Definitely not the Sonata's suit.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No law against it. What they'll have is left and right DRLs and a decorative light that doesn't serve any legal-conformance purpose and doesn't interfere with the function of any legally-required light. It's just like the full-width taillights that have been in and out of style since the 1960s.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking from a body shop pov, i can already hear customers scream, "what??, $300 per side for a tiny led strip???????"

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Won't be the consumer talking about that, it will be everyone wondering why their insurance premiums went up, because more than likely that little led strip won't be the only thing wiped out, as cars become more complex and expesinsive to produce as consumers we pay that cost twice once in purchase and again in insurance, you don't really think they just absorb the payouts and the cost of doing business do you?, but its what we have and i am dumb and have no better ways of doing it so.... I subscribe to the same devices.