Prometheus        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

Default Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

I've recently tried the Impossible Burger (v2.0 - there's two versions of it) and it was amazing. It looked almost exactly like a hamburger, tasted very close to it and the texture was pretty close also. Overall it was so close that I had to keep questioning whether I was eating a real burger.

I think there's another one from Beyond Meat but I haven't run across it yet.

Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I've recently tried the Impossible Burger (v2.0 - there's two versions of it) and it was amazing. It looked almost exactly like a hamburger, tasted very close to it and the texture was pretty close also. Overall it was so close that I had to keep questioning whether I was eating a real burger.

I think there's another one from Beyond Meat but I haven't run across it yet.
    yep everytime i eat at mcdonalds
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

I enjoy black bean burgers. I have also eaten Boca crumbles.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    yep everytime i eat at mcdonalds
    Lol!

Actually many years ago they offered a burger called the McLean. It was a blend of meat and a product derived from seaweed. Apparently it wasn't very popular.

Burger King is test marketing the Impossible Burger in the St. Louis area. I think they're calling it the Impossible Whopper.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-27-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Nope.
    Meat is food.
    John 3:16

They're passing legislation over here to make it illegal to use the word "burger" on meat-free products.
    As if there was nothing more important to worry about.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Try it with a fine evaporated water next time. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Lol!

Actually many years ago they offered a burger called the McLean. It was a blensd of meat and a product derived from seaweed. Apparently it wasn't very popular.

Burger King is test marketing the Impossible Burger in the St. Louis area. I think they're calling it the Impossible Whopper.
    Tried one Yesterday,actually got one of those and one real one to do a double blind test,kind of.

Both nasty in equal measure to me and now I have to wonder exactly what is in the normal one too?

They did taste different though I could not really say one was better either?

I will not be going to BK again soon.

Used to have the Boca brand and similar burgers in the freezer all the time, those are pretty fun for something you can just toss in the microwave.

If you haven't tried Daiya cheese yet, that's highly recommended; Daiya pizzas are quite solid also.

Ceder Lake frozen vegetarian lunch meats are pretty much indistinguishable from their counterparts despite being pressed bean slices, big protein. And you can openly swap Loma Linda canned vegan hot dogs for the usual packaged mystery meat, no difference there at all.

I may try one someday, out of curiosity, but the only real difference I see between the present meatless burgers and the older veggie burgers, that have been available for years, is marketing. Their marketing appears to be much more successful.

I did find this information interesting.

Thanks for the interesting link. Good grief, the ingredient list!
    Thanks, CPF!

Flashaholic*

I still don't understand why they have to make a meatless burger, or anything to substitute meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then stick to your vegan/vegetarian foods. I don't look for vegetableless corn made from meat.

THAT is such a good point.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    I may try one someday, out of curiosity, but the only real difference I see between the present meatless burgers and the older veggie burgers, that have been available for years, is marketing. Their marketing appears to be much more successful.

I did find this information interesting.
    Thanks for the link to the article, Empath - interesting.

The Impossible Burger is far different from the older GardenBurgers and similar in ways to the Boca products. The GardenBurger looks and tastes nothing like meat - you can see bits of corn and mushrooms in it. However the Beyond and Impossible burgers are going for authenticity in appearance, taste and texture and they're getting really, really close. The only difference that I noticed in the Impossible Burger was a very faint hint of a "sawdusty" texture for lack of a better term. It was eerily good and very filling.
    Veni vidi velcro

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    They're passing legislation over here to make it illegal to use the word "burger" on meat-free products.
    As if there was nothing more important to worry about.
    P
    While simultaneously they make it so stuff not previously allowed to be classified as meat and banned in other countries can be called ground beef.

https://modernfarmer.com/2019/02/rem...s-ground-beef/

What is the actual use in meatless burgers? As in, why make something as close to meat as possible and spend so much money and effort on making others spend so much money on getting it, when cows are already literally made out of meat? I guess i'm confused as to why they exist and the justification for eating them instead of a regular old hamburger other than if you're allergic to meat.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashKat View Post
    I still don't understand why they have to make a meatless burger, or anything to substitute meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then stick to your vegan/vegetarian foods. I don't look for vegetableless corn made from meat.
    Because meat is awesome but contains trans fat, which is not a fat that can be interpreted or viewed one way or another as beneficial, it's straight up poison. People who have meat prominent diets have greater odds of colon cancer, full stop. So if you want a good lunch burger, nothing celebratory or decadent but just a solid meal, there may as well be a close-enough alternative that will scratch the itch. It can feel pretty good to have a tasty burger and know it was completely healthy..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    .... It can feel pretty good to have a tasty burger and know it was completely healthy..
    The thing I wonder about is that nutritional recommendations seem to change every few years or so.

How long has this "synthetic meat" been around ?

Is it truly "natural" or "genetically modified" or altered or ???
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    The thing I wonder about is that nutritional recommendations seem to change every few years or so.

How long has this "synthetic meat" been around ?

Is it truly "natural" or "genetically modified" or altered or ???
    "Synthetic" would refer to lab-produced meat, we're not talking about that; this is basically just a pleasant bean salad with spices that's been pressed into a patty, available at your local store and some restaurants now.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    ... So if you want a good lunch burger, nothing celebratory or decadent but just a solid meal, there may as well be a close-enough alternative that will scratch the itch. It can feel pretty good to have a tasty burger and know it was completely healthy..
    I couldn't have said this any better. Thanks StarHalo!

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this was referring to some sort of scientific manipulation and related wizardry, not just a traditional "bean" (vegetable meal) "burger" (patty)
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-27-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this was referring to some sort of scientific manipulation and related wizardry, not just a traditional "bean" (vegetable meal) "burger" (patty)
    There is some manipulation or wizardry going on with the current iteration of meatless burgers, specifically with a yeast element that is modified to produce hemochromes. This is the substance that produces the visual appearance of meet "bleeding."

I have no problem eating meat and love burgers as much as the next guy but I would consider eating more plant based burgers and things like this (assuming they offer a very comparable experience) for the sole reason that they are so much more earth friendly. Look at the statistics in that article Empath posted. I mean, Holy Cow! The impact on the environment from this product compared to raising and processing livestock is fantastically smaller. If even a fraction of the world’s hamburgers shifted to items like the Impossible Burger, imagine the positive impact on the earth. I generally don’t care that much for Burger King but I may stop in to try one of these.

I have eaten plenty of veggie burgers in the past and I don’t mind them, but they were very obviously not meat. I’m curious about something that mimics it so closely.

I've tried it and I'll just say;

It's just not for me.

Probably not the thread to mention that Mrs. Scout and I put a 1/4 cow that was raised about 8 miles from us in our freezer last week? That said, If I'm ordering a burger when we're out with friends I'll try the veggie burger if it's on the menu since I have an idea of what's really in it. That, to me, is huge compared to who-knows-where-it-came-from beef.

Edit- Latest beef recall story, 160,000 pounds... Scary.
    Last edited by scout24; 04-28-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

So what happens if you hate said veggie burger tried for the first time while out with friends?

Ten years later: "Man I'll never forget that time he had bitter beer face all evening as he tried to act like he liked that bean burger". lol.

Just make sure you've had a few beers first....
    John 3:16

I also forgot to mention that these were $1 more than the regular Whopper too?
    Neither taste very good to me but more than that I am always unsatisfied after a BK experience and was equally so with one of these.

So I suppose it was tough to tell much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    So what happens if you hate said veggie burger tried for the first time while out with friends?

Ten years later: "Man I'll never forget that time he had bitter beer face all evening as he tried to act like he liked that bean burger". lol.

Just make sure you've had a few beers first....
    We went a reastaurant called Le Train Blue in Paris many years ago.
    In the Grills section they had something called Andouilette, so intrigued, I asked my wife, who is a Chef what it was.
    "It's a sort of sausage", she said. So I ordered it.
    It is a sausage, but it's made with the lower intestines of a cow.
    My plate arrived with an artfully twisted 12 inch sausage on it.
    I cut a portion and popped it into my mouth, I have never tasted something so disgusting in my life. Looking at my face, my friends asked what it tasted like, "Shit" I replied and spat the thing into my napkin.
    One of my friends who is fluent in French asked the waiter what was in the sausage, he replied by making a gesture with his hands as if his guts had just exploded onto the table.
    I wanted to hide the thing behind the radiator to cover my embarassment but wasn't allowed. If we'd have had the beagles with us we could have taken it for them.
    They would have loved it - for obvoius reasons.
    P

One of my favorite meals is a good cheeseburger. I might have seven a year. Fastfood? Hardly ever. Just don't want 18 year olds making minium wage touching my food.

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

No.
    100% beef ground daily at the local meat market, or 100% venison ground in my garage.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast