The Fenix-Store        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 82 of 82

Thread: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

  1. #61
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    +

    Disclaimer:: I'm not a vegetarian (nor do I play one on TV)..
    being the kind of guy who waits for Angus chuck roast to go on sale & have my butcher grind it for me.

    Seriously though, one only needs the amount of protein in two egg whites to maintain the body daily,
    and you can get that protein from many places.

    Soy beans are the only plant that has complete protein, otherwise you have to combine grains ect. to get that 'complete protein'.

    Before people get way turned around on this subject, go have a great slice of pizza,, regardless of what toppings you like.

  2. #62
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

    Soy beans are the only plant that has complete protein, otherwise you have to combine grains ect. to get that 'complete protein'.
    Correct. Otherwise you need to combine grains with legumes to get all of the amino acids. I eat a lot of soy based things, partly because it's simpler then trying to get the right mix of nutrients from other things.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

    Disclaimer:: I'm not a vegetarian (nor do I play one on TV)..
    being the kind of guy who waits for Angus chuck roast to go on sale & have my butcher grind it for me.

    Seriously though, one only needs the amount of protein in two egg whites to maintain the body daily,
    and you can get that protein from many places.

    Soy beans are the only plant that has complete protein, otherwise you have to combine grains ect. to get that 'complete protein'.

    Before people get way turned around on this subject, go have a great slice of pizza,, regardless of what toppings you like.
    Great slice of pizza?? Well, not a problem for me considering where I live. Other members might have issues scoring a great slice of the stuff.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  4. #64
    Flashaholic* Obijuan Kenobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    One of my favorite meals is a good cheeseburger. I might have seven a year. Fastfood? Hardly ever. Just don't want 18 year olds making minium wage touching my food.

    This is a Patty Melt, sir. This is better than, but not, a hamburger.

    And as a hamburger connoisseur, I think BK bad experiences are bad BK restaurants. Like all lower tier fast food, there can be higher and lower quality locations. Bad McDonalds versus good...that's a real thing.

    The Impossible burger is awesome when put into the context of the BK menu.

    The flavor and texture are closer than ever.

    Meat will always taste like meat, too.

    Hey, meat eaters: What if someone from Norway told you that whale meat tastes like sirloin steak...only 1000x better. Guess what? It's true.

    There are other reasons to be thoughtful about what you eat besides taste and tradition.

    obi
    Last edited by Obijuan Kenobe; 09-26-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    i always wondered who are they making these fakeburgers for? those who want a burger wont buy this fake, maybe only to try it out, vegetarians and vegans dio not need their food to look like something they do not eat, why would they? even bigger question how much crap is in that fakeburger, to make it taste like a real one, it may be more harmful to your health than a real one,

  6. #66

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    Hey, meat eaters: What if someone from Norway told you that whale meat tastes like sirloin steak...only 1000x better. Guess what? It's true.

    There are other reasons to be thoughtful about what you eat besides taste and tradition.

    obi
    What you say??
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  7. #67
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    McDonald's just announced that they'll be testing a meatless burger in Canada. And Nestle Foods just announced their own version of a meatless burger based on yellow pea protein.

  8. #68
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    +

    Beyond Meat Inc. after a crazy IPO stock run up starting in May, has settled back down to 350% of opening.

    ..so if you put in reasonable $5K,, it'd be worth $17,500 today (again, that's from just May)
    Last edited by orbital; 09-26-2019 at 08:09 PM.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    They should call them Peaburgers instead of meatless burgers.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Something just doesn't seem right, if you have to trick yourself into eating plants instead of meat.
    Putting on my devils advocate hat, grocery stores are jam packed with altered and substitute foods...

    Diet soda / light beer

    Low fat milk / yogurt

    Sugar free cakes and cookies

    Gluten free bread and crackers

    Dairy free butter and ice cream


    Is a meat free burger or hot dog that different from 1000 different products people have been buying and eating for generations or is all food with long ingredient lists, complex processing or substitute origins - off the menu?
    Control the Dark

    OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

  11. #71
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,400

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    I wonder if they called it a “plant based sandwich patty” if people would have the same reaction, or if they just take issue with the use of the word “burger”.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I wonder if they called it a “plant based sandwich patty” if people would have the same reaction, or if they just take issue with the use of the word “burger”.
    Well as far as I remember I've never called a chicken or fish sandwich on a bun a chicken or fish burger and they aren't the same "meat" as the whopper and neither is the pea-meat the same. As long as they differentiate that it isn't a normal burger and has no real meat I have less issues. I think however some think that if this fake meat gets popular and cheaper to make than real meat there may be places selling meatless burgers without telling people that it is a "knock off" of the real thing being sold at the same price.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  13. #73
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,400

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    With all the concerns about labeling foods for allergens now I highly doubt that will ever happen for legal reasons. You don’t know if someone might be allergic to an ingredient in the plant meat so you would have to tell them that’s what it is.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    This is a Patty Melt, sir. This is better than, but not, a hamburger.

    And as a hamburger connoisseur......

    obi


    Happy, now?


    My second issue is Madison Avenue Suits marketing food as new, improved, healthy and better for the earth when it's not.

    Furthermore, food is a personal choice. I don't care what people choose to consume or abstain from, just don't lecture or try to control me concerning my choices. That's my first issue.

    Moderation in all things ..... including moderation.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    With all the concerns about labeling foods for allergens now I highly doubt that will ever happen for legal reasons. You don’t know if someone might be allergic to an ingredient in the plant meat so you would have to tell them that’s what it is.
    Often the ingredients are in the fine print that few take time to read if at all. It would be easy for them to substitute fake meat in burgers and call it a burger and put in the fine print the fake meat ingredients and sell it as a burger and people will think it has real meat in it. If the meatless gets cheaper to make you may find it harder to get a real burger for sure without reading the fine print beforehand. Imagine if they get the process of fake meat patties down to where they cost 1/2 as much as real meat and then someone decides in Washington that if a meat has 51% real meat then they don't have to label it as not real meat but include in the tiny print the extra non meat ingredients they could make a greater profit from not a true meat burger that has 49% fake meat ingredients.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  16. #76
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    +

    Some people may be advised, at minimum, by their doctor to greatly reduce their cholesterol intake,
    do to family history of heart attacks & strokes.

    Maybe you'd be willing to adjust things you like to eat a bit


    It's going to take very little for me to shift this to health/nutrition and 1/3 US pop..

  17. #77
    Flashaholic* Obijuan Kenobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    What you say??
    I am saying if it was only about taste, we'd all be raising whales for sure.

    obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Putting on my devils advocate hat, grocery stores are jam packed with altered and substitute foods...

    Diet soda / light beer

    Low fat milk / yogurt

    Sugar free cakes and cookies

    Gluten free bread and crackers

    Dairy free butter and ice cream


    Is a meat free burger or hot dog that different from 1000 different products people have been buying and eating for generations or is all food with long ingredient lists, complex processing or substitute origins - off the menu?
    With the exception of that last one, all the rest of those items are still the real thing. Just slightly altered. I would definitely put the Dairy free butter and ice-cream in the same category as meatless burgers. Food masquerading as a different type of food.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    I am saying if it was only about taste, we'd all be raising whales for sure.

    obi
    Personally, I think that's a great idea!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    I am saying if it was only about taste, we'd all be raising whales for sure.

    obi
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Personally, I think that's a great idea!
    NOPE! That's where I draw the line. Killing a whale for food (unless you live at the North Pole - where's there no Piggly Wiggly) is just wrong!
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

  21. #81

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    NOPE! That's where I draw the line. Killing a whale for food (unless you live at the North Pole - where's there no Piggly Wiggly) is just wrong!
    Especially now when you have LEDs and no longer need whale oil for lanterns.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  22. #82

    Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    NOPE! That's where I draw the line. Killing a whale for food (unless you live at the North Pole - where's there no Piggly Wiggly) is just wrong!
    You could feed a major city from one whale.

    Certainly better than other alternatives....
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •