Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've recently tried the Impossible Burger (v2.0 - there's two versions of it) and it was amazing. It looked almost exactly like a hamburger, tasted very close to it and the texture was pretty close also. Overall it was so close that I had to keep questioning whether I was eating a real burger.

I think there's another one from Beyond Meat but I haven't run across it yet.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I've recently tried the Impossible Burger (v2.0 - there's two versions of it) and it was amazing. It looked almost exactly like a hamburger, tasted very close to it and the texture was pretty close also. Overall it was so close that I had to keep questioning whether I was eating a real burger.

I think there's another one from Beyond Meat but I haven't run across it yet.

yep everytime i eat at mcdonalds

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
yep everytime i eat at mcdonalds

Lol!

Actually many years ago they offered a burger called the McLean. It was a blend of meat and a product derived from seaweed. Apparently it wasn't very popular.

Burger King is test marketing the Impossible Burger in the St. Louis area. I think they're calling it the Impossible Whopper.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're passing legislation over here to make it illegal to use the word "burger" on meat-free products.
As if there was nothing more important to worry about.
P

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol!

Actually many years ago they offered a burger called the McLean. It was a blensd of meat and a product derived from seaweed. Apparently it wasn't very popular.

Burger King is test marketing the Impossible Burger in the St. Louis area. I think they're calling it the Impossible Whopper.

Tried one Yesterday,actually got one of those and one real one to do a double blind test,kind of.

Both nasty in equal measure to me and now I have to wonder exactly what is in the normal one too?

They did taste different though I could not really say one was better either?

I will not be going to BK again soon.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Used to have the Boca brand and similar burgers in the freezer all the time, those are pretty fun for something you can just toss in the microwave.

If you haven't tried Daiya cheese yet, that's highly recommended; Daiya pizzas are quite solid also.

Ceder Lake frozen vegetarian lunch meats are pretty much indistinguishable from their counterparts despite being pressed bean slices, big protein. And you can openly swap Loma Linda canned vegan hot dogs for the usual packaged mystery meat, no difference there at all.

Empath

Flashaholic
I may try one someday, out of curiosity, but the only real difference I see between the present meatless burgers and the older veggie burgers, that have been available for years, is marketing. Their marketing appears to be much more successful.

I did find this information interesting.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still don't understand why they have to make a meatless burger, or anything to substitute meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then stick to your vegan/vegetarian foods. I don't look for vegetableless corn made from meat.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I may try one someday, out of curiosity, but the only real difference I see between the present meatless burgers and the older veggie burgers, that have been available for years, is marketing. Their marketing appears to be much more successful.

I did find this information interesting.

Thanks for the link to the article, Empath - interesting.

The Impossible Burger is far different from the older GardenBurgers and similar in ways to the Boca products. The GardenBurger looks and tastes nothing like meat - you can see bits of corn and mushrooms in it. However the Beyond and Impossible burgers are going for authenticity in appearance, taste and texture and they're getting really, really close. The only difference that I noticed in the Impossible Burger was a very faint hint of a "sawdusty" texture for lack of a better term. It was eerily good and very filling.

Sos24

Enlightened

LRJ88

Enlightened
What is the actual use in meatless burgers? As in, why make something as close to meat as possible and spend so much money and effort on making others spend so much money on getting it, when cows are already literally made out of meat? I guess i'm confused as to why they exist and the justification for eating them instead of a regular old hamburger other than if you're allergic to meat.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I still don't understand why they have to make a meatless burger, or anything to substitute meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then stick to your vegan/vegetarian foods. I don't look for vegetableless corn made from meat.

Because meat is awesome but contains trans fat, which is not a fat that can be interpreted or viewed one way or another as beneficial, it's straight up poison. People who have meat prominent diets have greater odds of colon cancer, full stop. So if you want a good lunch burger, nothing celebratory or decadent but just a solid meal, there may as well be a close-enough alternative that will scratch the itch. It can feel pretty good to have a tasty burger and know it was completely healthy..

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... It can feel pretty good to have a tasty burger and know it was completely healthy..

The thing I wonder about is that nutritional recommendations seem to change every few years or so.

How long has this "synthetic meat" been around ?

Is it truly "natural" or "genetically modified" or altered or ???

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The thing I wonder about is that nutritional recommendations seem to change every few years or so.

How long has this "synthetic meat" been around ?

Is it truly "natural" or "genetically modified" or altered or ???

"Synthetic" would refer to lab-produced meat, we're not talking about that; this is basically just a pleasant bean salad with spices that's been pressed into a patty, available at your local store and some restaurants now.

WzP5SXf.jpg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
... So if you want a good lunch burger, nothing celebratory or decadent but just a solid meal, there may as well be a close-enough alternative that will scratch the itch. It can feel pretty good to have a tasty burger and know it was completely healthy..

I couldn't have said this any better. Thanks StarHalo!