ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Probably not the thread to mention that Mrs. Scout and I put a 1/4 cow that was raised about 8 miles from us in our freezer last week?

Edit- Latest beef recall story, 160,000 pounds... Scary.
    I’ve got the State Black Angus Association located less than 5 miles from my house. They have lists of farmers selling beef by the quarter, half and full cow.

I eat ground burger a couple of times a month. Mostly beef, but also include chicken, turkey and pork. Whatever doesn’t get pattied gets browned and used for spaghetti sauce.

The meat recalls are from large processing plants with little to no USDA oversight. If processing regulations were changed to require four hour tear downs of the equipment and sterilization with bleach, they’d be few recalls.

Look at the produce recalls of lettuce, strawberries, and other leafy vegetables that occur every year. You’ve got pickers using the fields as toilets. Atleast with meat, if it’s cooked to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, the nasties are killed. Not that you want them there in the first place, but cooking does kill pathogens.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Meatless is OK. Some are good, some are not. I'll take a good meatless burger over no burger at all.

I had an Impossible Burger at a cafeteria where they did a good job with it and it was really tasty. Then I recently had another one at a bar-restaurant where they're notorious for making everything on the greasy side. The Impossible Burger was soaked with grease and it was nowhere near as good as the first one I tried at a cafeteria.

This same bar-restaurant also serves the traditional garden burger swimming in grease. Yuch.

To nbp's point, yes it's far less resource intensive to produce plant-based meat substitutes And there's virtually zero chance of a meatless burger being contaminated with some of the scarier meat based pathogens like the one that's responsible for mad cow disease.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-28-2019 at 11:34 AM.

I had one from a pretty well-regarded restaurant. The flavor was decent, but mostly from the sauce/guac/toppings. The texture was a little odd but not horrible. But, the burger kind of wanted to fall apart/crumble. It was overall okay, but I wouldn't deliberately order it anywhere again. I actually accidentally ordered it. I didn't know what a black bean burger was. It was a mexican burger with chipotle sauce, guac, jalepenos, etc. And, it said black bean burger on the menu. Well, I just figured it was a burger topped with black beans, which would have gone well with all of the other stuff. Didn't realize it was made of black beans entirely instead of meat. Guess I don't get out as much as I used to, and didn't realize that was a thing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen83 View Post
    I had one from a pretty well-regarded restaurant. The flavor was decent, but mostly from the sauce/guac/toppings. The texture was a little odd but not horrible. But, the burger kind of wanted to fall apart/crumble. It was overall okay, but I wouldn't deliberately order it anywhere again. I actually accidentally ordered it. I didn't know what a black bean burger was. It was a mexican burger with chipotle sauce, guac, jalepenos, etc. And, it said black bean burger on the menu. Well, I just figured it was a burger topped with black beans, which would have gone well with all of the other stuff. Didn't realize it was made of black beans entirely instead of meat. Guess I don't get out as much as I used to, and didn't realize that was a thing now.
    Black bean topping on a regular burger would be pretty good though, sounds like a black bean burger i could get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by LRJ88 View Post
    Black bean topping on a regular burger would be pretty good though, sounds like a black bean burger i could get behind.
    Heck ya. Some kind of mexican taco burger. But, keep the meat.

Impossible burgers...miracle noodles...what real food is going to be invented in the lab next?

If you’re giving up burgers, give up burgers.

Of course, some of these impossible burger munchers are now as well ex-smoking, die hard vapers.

+

Beyond Meat Inc. (BYND) IPO for today was at $25
    == right now it's up 141% at 1:12 p.m. eastern

wish I put a couple bucks into it..

What a weird way to kill yourself... https://wellnessforce.com/the-scienc...gans-get-sick/

On sale tomorrow at your local [to Southern California] Gelson's market:

Tried an Impossible Whopper...tasted like a Whopper to me...very good. On the other hand, enough ketchup, mayo, onions and tomatoes might make a lot of things taste like a Whopper!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

I had one the other day for the first time. Were I not paying it unusual attention I probably would not have known it was a beef substitute. I'll certainly try it again. Would help if the price were closer to parity with the beef version.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I eat a mostly plant based diet except maybe a small amount of chicken or beef every few days for flavoring and substance. I have made enough concessions in my life not to bite into a real meat burger and taste of the goodness consisting of a single ingredient. Meat is meat. It doesn't pretend to be anything else and if one doesn't like it they can eat something else.

Somehow real meat seems a whole lot less complicated and fake compared to....

INGREDIENTS
    Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Pomegranate Fruit Powder, Beet Juice Extract (for color)

..but hey...eat what you want.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

I tried the Burger King version of the Impossible Burger the other day. It was pretty good. I wish they offered a smaller version of it though. Maybe they could call it a whoppette.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I tried the Burger King version of the Impossible Burger the other day. It was pretty good. I wish they offered a smaller version of it though. Maybe they could call it a whoppette.
    That's been my sample, twice now. I will say that BK isn't exactly the highest bar to clear thus the basis for comparison is perhaps more favorable for the Impossible Burger patty than other standards.

My significant other has indicated that my decidedly non-acute sense of smell may be advantage for the Impossible Burger - it smells different than beef.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

pretending to eat meat is silly.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    My significant other has indicated that my decidedly non-acute sense of smell may be advantage for the Impossible Burger - it smells different than beef.
    The Beyond Meat burger smells vaguely like meat but more like peas, which makes sense since it's main ingredient is hydrolyzed pea protein.

Flashaholic*

I had an "impossible whopper" a while back. It tasted enough like a whopper that if someone had given it to me without telling me it wasn't a regular whopper, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought other than "a bit dry...".

That said, I have very low expectations for a whopper.

If I had gone someplace with good burgers, the impossible patty would have been very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    The Beyond Meat burger smells vaguely like meat but more like peas, which makes sense since it's main ingredient is hydrolyzed pea protein.
    Should be cheaper than meat then as in the stores peas are one of the cheaper vegetables a lot cheaper than hamburger meat.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

If Impossible Burgers really do taste like Whopper-"burger", I want no part of it. I'm a fan of real, great burger, either ground chuck or "premium" (or venison/pork burger). Premium at our store is made from steak trimmings and blows all other burger out of the water, even chuck.

Also, not a fan of eating anything with more than one ingredient...unless it's cheese or yogurt.

Water, Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract (to protect quality), Ascorbic Acid (to maintain color), Beet Juice Extract (for color), Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto (for color).

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    pretending to eat meat is silly.
    Especially if one does so for health reasons.

IS IT HEALTHIER THAN BEEF?

Not necessarily. It does have zero cholesterol - though that has less effect on the cholesterol levels in your blood than does saturated fat. And on that more important measure, as well as for total fat and calories, a Beyond Burger and a typical 80% lean beef burger are similar. The Beyond Burger has much more sodium, too. Plus, "while its starting materials may be plants, the main ingredients are all highly processed concentrates, oils, and flavors," says Amy Keating, R.D., a CR nutritionist and taste tester. Research links such foods to obesity and heart disease.

Consumer Reports October 2019
    So, it's not necessarily healthier than beef. It costs more and it doesn't taste or smell as good....... Seems to me the only reason one is left with is it's not an animal byproduct.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Some people don’t digest red meat well, even if they do like the flavor. My mom for example likes “burgers” but will get plant based options for this reason. And apparently these are much better for the earth than raising and processing animals. So even as a meat eater I understand why someone would choose these meatless options.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashKat View Post
    I still don't understand why they have to make a meatless burger, or anything to substitute meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then stick to your vegan/vegetarian foods. I don't look for vegetableless corn made from meat.
    it is a marketing ploy to prey on both the vegan/vegetarian hipsters and the stupid people who think meat is bad for you. I got news for them this product has animal derived ingredients and is not vegan it is also not better for you than meat...

You would be better off getting a salad from a grocery store than to eat this thing...

Also from the ingredient list i expect it to give a vast number of people diarrhea... the coconut oil and soy products alone would induce it in most people.
    Last edited by lunas; 09-24-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Some people don’t digest red meat well, even if they do like the flavor. My mom for example likes “burgers” but will get plant based options for this reason. And apparently these are much better for the earth than raising and processing animals. So even as a meat eater I understand why someone would choose these meatless options.
    Has the conversation now been opened to debate the issue of Global Warming?

- Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Default Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

“Debate the issue of global warming”?

I don’t believe that’s the topic of the thread. But it was asked why someone might want to choose this product, and it’s true that someone might choose one food product or way of eating over another out of their concern for the method of producing the product.

And that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    “Debate the issue of global warming”?
    +

It absolutely applies.
    The amount of deforestation, especially in South America, done specifically for graze land is abhorrent.

It takes approx 12 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound meat.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

It absolutely applies.
    The amount of deforestation, especially in South America, done specifically for graze land is abhorrent.

Mmmmm. Good trade!

Something just doesn't seem right, if you have to trick yourself into eating plants instead of meat.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

It absolutely applies.

and instead of those feed grains that land can instead be used to produce ethanol crops...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast