ls leds why buy them?

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
why should i buy ls leds. if i want a spotlight i can i grab my 3d mag. how would be worth my while to pay more, work harder, and risk more for an led. i can't solder things so there is a level of impossiblity in all this. would anyone be willing to sell me a 2aa mag->ls mod?
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I can only speak for myself, of course, but there's something I find very attractive about being on the bleeding edge of technologic revolution. That's why I bought my LS modules, anyway.

No one I know (aside from others here, that is) has an LS flashlight. There is a definite 'coolness' factor involved.

So far, my LS doesn't really provide a spotlight, but more like the equivalent of 10 or so regular 5mm 5600 mcd white LEDs in a smaller package that's got a great beam pattern ... but I haven't plugged in the DC DC step up converter yet and that may change everything.

It won't be long, though, before you can get your very own LS flashlight from an Arc distributor and I expect it will blow away everyone's conception of what an LED flashlight should be.

Mark

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> So far, my LS doesn't really provide a spotlight, but more like the equivalent of 10 or so regular 5mm 5600 mcd white LEDs in a smaller package that's got a great beam pattern ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you say the module is useful as an area light, or atleast a reading light?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
Would you say the module is useful as an area light, or atleast a reading light?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The LS (with optics )has a tighter beam than Nichia lights and with fresh batteries it is much too bright for a reading light. When the batteries are 90% dead, then it makes an OK reading light. I guess it would make an OK area light if you bounced the beam off of a white ceiling or something.

The LS (with optics) is really more of a "flashlight like flashlight". If you want an area light or an reading light, I'd say stick with Nichias. Minus the optics, the LS is sort of suitable for what you want, but two Nichias will do the same thing on a lot fewer mA. and for 1/4 the price.

Just my humble opinion.

KenBar

Enlightened
I just did a little experimenting last night...experimenting for me is just trying things to see what works.

I experimented with the LS module (with optics) and was totally astounded. I drove it right to its limits, and then backed it down to minimum.

I used the Satcure circuit as well %$#(%*&$%*

Shock of my life...it worked great as an area light...drew 150 ma...and no rings etc.

I dropped it down till it was pulling 10 ma and it was, for comparison, 3x pal on dim mode.

I just got these so I have much to learn...and hopefully not to blow.

The only down side I have seen is the heat.

My goal, as always, has been long life over making a searchlight. The LS is most assuredly the brightest thing I have ever seen. I can't wait to get the Arc LS.

I think I can make one quite like it BUT at about 3-4 times the size..
smile.gif

My biggest shock to date was the Satcure circuit driving it. It actually had quite a nice light although only at 150 ma. I did a funky thing with the circuit that caused a nichia to fry on me. I need to play around a little more. I just wish I had a little more eng skills under my belt. These are so nice I hate to fry them by a stupid mistake.

I REALLY like what QuickBeam says next!!
My thoughts EXACTLY.
I probably will not buy as many Nichia now!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
$14 per LS = cost of 8 Nichias ($1.75 x 8 = $14), and you don't have to go through the tedious process of trying to mount the Nichias on a board or something to make a decent brightness LED flashlight. So, for me, it's cost and convenience - a winning combination.

Plus, as a bonus, the LS will run very nicely (albeit dimly) on 3 volts with no modification!

DP

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I checked out Gransee's site and the .pdf file on it, but I still don't know the correct voltage. I want to hook up 2 123 batteries in series (6V) and use a dimmer switch. I'm making a small snake light from an Eveready double barrel flashlight for use as an area light. I can live with the tight beam if I need to, but I need to know if this battery configuration is feasible.

Mike

Newly Enlightened
The chart on the bottom of page 3 of the PDF file shows the minimum, typical, and maximum forward voltage for each color.

White is 2.55 - 3.99V

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> if i got an ls led what would i do to make it a useful flashlight out of it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you could look at this topic. You do have to solder though.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
if i got an ls led what would i do to make it a useful flashlight out of it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aragorn, Check out my site (below) for an LS conversion - The W-M on WT Harris still has some of these lights left.

DP