[Review] Streamlight Siege X USB - 1x18650 lantern with flashlight, red mode

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at Streamlight's newest lantern, the Siege X USB. This is a compact lantern powered by a single 18650 or two CR123A cells. In additional to the standard white mode, it also works as a red lantern, and has a flashlight built in to the top.
There's a lot to like about this lantern - it's very compact and well built, there are a ton of ways to keep it where you want it, and the interface is easy to use and uncomplicated. It's also great that you can run it on CR123A cells in a pinch, and I'm sure plenty of people will love the red light mode.
For me, the visible PWM is too much of a downside to continue using this product, but I know some people are less sensitive to that than others.
If you're interested, read my full review for more information.
IMG_20190416_155119.jpg

filibuster

Enlightened
That's too bad about the pwm on everything but the full brightness mode. I don't understand why it's even considered as a design choice when it's just as easy and not anymore expensive to implement a constant current method to dim the light output.

I bought a 5 pack of those touch dimmer type USB thumb stick led lights that ramps up and down with a simple touch on the back of them and there is zero pwm in there output at any brightness level and they cost me all of $5 for all of them. The cost for the electronics isn't the problem which makes me wonder why it's still being used on a good quality light made by streamlight.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, not a huge deal, but still disappointing that it's even a thing still in 2019. Surely they somehow save a bit of money by not trying to work that out and just bank on most people who buy the Siege X not caring or knowing better.

I am not as overall impressed as I thought I'd be when looking at the overall package. However, that being said, the really cool thing in my opinion about it is that it doubles as a flashlight. This would be a really cool light/lantern for somebody not into lights.

Last edited:

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, not a huge deal, but still disappointing that it's even a thing still in 2019. Surely they somehow save a bit of money by not trying to work that out and just bank on most people who buy the Siege X not caring or knowing better.

I am not as overall impressed as I thought I'd be when looking at the overall package. However, that being said, the really cool thing in my opinion about it is that it doubles as a flashlight. This would be a really cool light/lantern for somebody not into lights.
Yep! The combo is great for car camping or kids.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it happen to come with a USB cable and/or charger? I'm finding it annoying that so many products these days just aren't including USB chargers/cables even though they could benefit from having a specific wattage/voltage charger and just assume everyone has every charger ever under the sun.

... I mean I do, but not everybody else would lol.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
The cell has a micro USB port, and it includes the needed cable. It only charges at 0.55 A, so almost any modern USB power supply will charge at the maximum capable speed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk