Surefire 6P Original with factory double O-ring seal

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought two NIB 6Ps - one with '04 and another with '05 batteries. The one with the '05 is in the standard older style clamshell packaging and has a single O-ring. Nothing special here.
The second one with the '04 batteries however is in a box the style of which I have not yet seen here or elsewhere. And the interesting thing - it has two O-rings which is also written on the box.
I've searched the forums and online and you guys say the 6P comes with one O-ring only and everything different is either 6PN or aftermarket.
What are your thoughts?
There are some differences in the engraving and the rubber on the switch as well.
216d94aba52ecbaf0d54d79920d71aad.jpg
e40d60537c5dd7acf5a6290b5cc79fa7.jpg
e8d6a4368717a1b1550914a1d5cb1530.jpg
c89fa85ae49de67d690ac0bb5ee4065b.jpg
d9f53a16c2f206b96e9216b3f8d2bd89.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I remember something way long ago about Surefires being waterproof.the only ones they listed back then were meant for the navy I think. They had two o rinds and the flashlight had to be returned to surefire for battery change when it went dead.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a 6pn. The only the difference as far as im aware is the extra o ring which surefire decided to charge a 40 or 50 dollar premium for over the regular model. I dont know anything about the switch rubber being different and the whole send the light back to SF to replace the batteries part is news to me. I know that particular clamshell packaging was not around in 2005. It started sometime in 2010-2012 iirc.

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
This was the clamshell packaging until 2010. They introduced the new kind that year as well as changed their logo to the one we see today. About that time they updated the P60L to the KX4.
It shouldn't be a 6PN though. They had a 6PN in the shop as well and it was in the old style box just like the one in the picture below.
This '04 6P has a completely different box which says it is an Original as well as that it has double O-ring seal.
436db529fcc35544b756ac51e30e1cda.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic
I guess it's just a representation. Maybe I should post photos from more angles and inside?

Seems odd to me, but sure, more photos are helpful.

I don't have many vintage boxes, so hopefully some of the SF collectors here will drop by to add their thoughts and expertise on this packaging.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Interesting! I double O-Ring some of my 6P's, it does (in my experience) make the tailcap twist a little harder which is good/bad depending on my usage. Never seen one come from the factory doubled up though, of course I know the 6PN came that way. IMHO they're water resistant enough for me either way.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I'm not sure when it was but I do remember a special "waterproof" version surefire had way back and I'm pretty sure you had to send it back in for battery replacement. Probably not this one but I do remember hearing about that. Maybe it was military only.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the clamshell packaging until 2010. They introduced the new kind that year as well as changed their logo to the one we see today. About that time they updated the P60L to the KX4.
It shouldn't be a 6PN though. They had a 6PN in the shop as well and it was in the old style box just like the one in the picture below.
This '04 6P has a completely different box which says it is an Original as well as that it has double O-ring seal.
436db529fcc35544b756ac51e30e1cda.jpg

Oh I see what you are saying. I thought you meant the old box also said 6PN. Im still not understanding why batteries made in 2005 (im assuming 2015 expiration date) are in a light that came in the clamshell package that wasnt first made until 2010ish unless the packaging was open.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What, send back to SF for a battery change?

Wonder what extra steps SF did to ensure watertightness, aside from a well lubed extra Oring.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What, send back to SF for a battery change?

Wonder what extra steps SF did to ensure watertightness, aside from a well lubed extra Oring.

I'm guessing nothing else if it was a government contract overrun type light. What was said about the rubber boot was interesting though, maybe they upgraded that somehow as well.

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
Double oring in tail side won't do any good until you do same on head side too.
That's why I am confused here. Maybe they tried it for a short run of lights and then abandoned the idea after realizing it was of no use. There were more flashlights in the same box in the shop - Z2s, G2Zs that I believe had double seal on the tailcap.
As for factory battery replacements and special Navy runs I highly doubt it because keep in mind these were bought in Europe. It is possible they are export versions hence the differences but Surefire experts have to correct me here.
Here are some more pictures of the box.
3fbb8b1f4bf42fb7717dfe138ec6362b.jpg
907589eec1d0cefcda9e483efc8fa5e8.jpg
f831fb61abe28da1ff3ee6c1764d3775.jpg
812069cba57b6651f8d5ef650ea5b089.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So just to be clear the second o ring groove is in all of these right? All they did was install another O-Ring. They didn't change or modify the light itself?

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
So just to be clear the second o ring groove is in all of these right? All they did was install another O-Ring. They didn't change or modify the light itself?
Yes.
There are also a few differences in the laser engraving and the rubber boot on the switch which you can see in the first post. But this should be because of generations since the older has a 5-digit and the newer a 6-digit serial number which can also be seen in the pictures.

scout24

Flashaholic
42-44 psi depending on salt or fresh water. Impressive o-ring performance! I recall seeing McGizmo's posts about his lights not being "dive certified" before he got to testing the Aquaram series of lights. No failures to speak of, but the pressure at his relatively modest depths would render the clicky switch inoperable. I wonder if the SF momentary would be "locked on" from pressure in a similar fashion at these type of depths? Academic to me, I don't and probably never will dive. Just Flashaholic curiosity... :)

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
O-rings are small issues to me. I always replace the stock ones whenever I get a new SF light, and I always add the second one on any C-tail config that only comes with one ring. I have the size specifications so it's really no problem.

For the C-tail o-ring grooves I find that it may not be a good idea to install two o-rings of identical specs. That would render the tailcap fit to be very tight with very stiff turning. These days I try to have a slightly thinner o-ring installed on the upper groove, and a fatter one on the lower groove. If anyone whats the o-ring specs just let me know -- I can post them here.