Batman searchlight for firehouse

Irishman

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody. Hopefully I am posting this in right place.
We are bunch of firefighters in San Francisco and were wondering if it's possible or even doable to have a searchlight shining up on the night sky with our logo on it . Would appreciate any input . We are in San Francisco . I am electrical contractor and we just need some advice etc on a limited budget . Wondering if this is even doable
thank you

As a first test you might consider a slide projector pointed upward just to see what happens. If that works you'll probably need one a whole lot bigger than that to do what you want. If I recall correctly an aspheric lens on a flashlight will project the image of an LED at a great distance. Either way I think it's going to be all about the lens.

Last edited:

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody. Hopefully I am posting this in right place.
We are bunch of firefighters in San Francisco and were wondering if it's possible or even doable to have a searchlight shining up on the night sky with our logo on it . Would appreciate any input . We are in San Francisco . I am electrical contractor and we just need some advice etc on a limited budget . Wondering if this is even doable
thank you

I have the Project Flashlight AN/TVS-3 searchlights (which have been to multiple SF events) - beams visible across the city and beyond. The batman logo is movie fiction, a logo you either need a projector or a lumographic lens, which is doable but quite expensive (likely $10k+) for what you're looking for. Feel free to PM me.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to see the logo, there must be something it is projected against? I mean, in and of itself, what is the difference an observer on the ground would see between a simple searchlight beam, and one beaming the logo. Without something, a cloud, fog, smog, to shine against, both would just appear as a beam of light.