there's to many sad tv shows and movies

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there' should be a warning for sad content. thiese shows take me to a very dark place

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Maybe the problem is just the opposite - maybe there should be warnings on the very happy shows indicating to viewers that the program might give them unrealistic expectations about their own life, if taken to be a realistic representation of life for a majority of human beings.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We used to watch tv to escape the real world.

One day realism began to creep in, then smut, because shows were deemed too violent so they had to keep audiences interested.

The lines between real and fantasy on tv have been at least blurred but erased in many cases.

When I was a kid you rooted for the good guy and hissed at the bad guy. Gunsmoke for example. Now days they have you cheering for mobsters and doubting the good guys. American Gangster, and Narcos for examples.

There are also more inspirational and happy shows readily available than most people can watch in a lifetime, with more being made all the time.

Choose wisely what you allow in your head. We started by banning all TV news in the house. Has worked well for the last 35 years.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed mr islander. It's been about 20 years since I unplugged.

I get my news from radio or from coworkers. Yesterday I tried to read a USA today sports section but every article was an adgenda by the author and I couldn't make it through the first paragraph.
Some days I listen to music and no radio at all if I feel my attitude trying to slide downhill. I figure if we're being invaded somebody at work will let me know.

Regarding tv, heck I went about 5 years at one point without even plugging it in at one house I lived in.

Hobbies. Crafts. Projects. Even when I lived in an apartment I did not watch cable tv (before streaming).

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Top gear "uk" is the only show I make a point to watch.found it by accident and been a fan ever sense.

Our two sons (19 and 21) haven't watched TV for about ten years. When they did their viewing was strictly limited. Today they couldn't care less about TV and movies. The age of telivision is coming to an end. The internet rules the future.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids don't watch tv except for conan and an occasional movie. I just watch the amazing world of gumball since that's usually the only thing that amuses me in the limited time I'm home. Don't even know why I'm paying for cable tv when all we use is internet service.

LGT

Enlightened
I've gradually walked away from tv to the point that I just don't watch it anymore. I really cannot name one regular series that is on right now. Occasionally, weather will keep us indoors at work, and a handful of people will be watching some reality/csi whatever show. I'll sit in for a minute or two and wonder how people can watch such mind numbing nonsense.
Get off the tube, get off the phone, and talk to each other.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Wild Kratts. Our 9 year old son still watches it after about 6 years or so. We watch PBS Nature and Nova some and Master Chef Junior.
Mrs Yeti was a judge on Junior Materchef, The production company was based up here and the crew used to come and eat in our restaurant. We both had a fun expenses paid weekend when she filmed that.
P

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not understand the issue. You don't like a show — you do not watch it, where is the problem? Especially having in mind how many torrent resources there are available where you may pick almost anything to your taste.