Thrunite Ti3 V2 question

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed that the Ti3 is now a version 2. Does anyone know what the difference is between this newer V2 version and the older model?

Javora

Enlightened
Got excited for a minute. I thought Thrunite was putting out another titanium Ti3. Looks like the only difference is an updated LED. Can't remember if they always had the neutral/cool white option or not. Hope they start making the titanium version again.

parametrek

Enlightened
The V2 is made by a different factory. It has a different UI. The old UI would move onto the next mode with a short pause and restart from firefly with a lengthy pause. IIRC the new UI doesn't start over from firefly. In other words it has mode memory.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I think you're correct and it's just a UI change from the searching I've done. What I can't quite tell, is if it has a standard mode memory and turns on where it turned off, or if it cycles to the next output from where it was turned off. If anyone has a V2 and can help out I'd appreciate it. Mode memory on this light would be an upgrade from the funky UI of the older model, but if it advances to the next level from where it was turned off could make for some eyeball searing experiences.
The V2 is made by a different factory. It has a different UI. The old UI would move onto the next mode with a short pause and restart from firefly with a lengthy pause. IIRC the new UI doesn't start over from firefly. In other words it has mode memory.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have always had the cool/neutral option. At one time the 130L version was a special higher output Christmas model as well as a single mode version.

The modes past have only had a 2 second memory, which past that would start on firefly again. It says now that it will remember the last mode for 2 seconds (meaning you could turn it back on and return to the same mode you shut if off on) and then after the 2 seconds it will proceed to the next mode higher when you turn it on. So if you turned it off on low...within 2 seconds it will stay on low...after 2 seconds of being off it will go to high.

• The flashlight will remember the working mode it was when turned off.It will come on in the next mode in the rotation"

They did also have limited run of a stainless steel version called the TiS. It was the only one of their Ti3 lights that had a different name. I guess they didn't want to follow the special metal format with the Ti and T at the end to signify titanium....for good reason. :sssh:

Last edited:

Candle2019

Newly Enlightened
Yea I think you're correct and it's just a UI change from the searching I've done. What I can't quite tell, is if it has a standard mode memory and turns on where it turned off, or if it cycles to the next output from where it was turned off. If anyone has a V2 and can help out I'd appreciate it. Mode memory on this light would be an upgrade from the funky UI of the older model, but if it advances to the next level from where it was turned off could make for some eyeball searing experiences.

It is the occasional "searing experience" UI, or as I call it "always wrong" UI. I ordered a "ThruNite Ti3 NW Mini Edc Cree Xp-G2 R5 LED Flashlight AAA Torch Max120 Lumens by ThruNite" from Amazon USA. Instead of a Ti3 the light that arrived carries the printing "Ti3 V2" on the head. The light cycles between "Firefly -> Low -> High -> Firefly -> ..." Everytime that I turn on the light it comes up in the next setting in the cycle. I even tried unscrewing the head all the way off, and it still moved to the next setting when I turned it back on.

I purchased it as a bedside light for getting to and from another room in the middle of the night, hopefully without disturbing the spouse or stepping on a cat. So I definitely wanted a totally silent cheap light that always started in Firefly mode.

I've started an Amazon return as "Wrong Item Shipped" with a request that they send me what I ordered in the hope that someone just pulled the wrong item for shipping. Otherwise I suppose I could always remember to put my finger over the bulb and cycle it to high before putting it away. I have concerns about achieving the "always" part. Though if I also "always" started it with a finger over the bulb, and adjusted if needed, perhaps it would be good enough.

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
From what I recall reading, ThruNite changed the hybrid memory on the Ti3 to next-mode memory (NMM) late last year, meaning that when the light is turned off, it will automatically turn on in the next mode. I don't know the reason for the change, but I've read plenty of vitriol about the implementation of the "feature" in the Ti3 and other torches.

The memory on the Astrolux A01 was also changed to NMM at some point, and the fix for it is to draw a line with a graphite pencil on the circuit board. I'm not sure yet if the same hack can be done on the Ti3, but if it works, I would buy another one since the change to NMM has prevented my purchasing a second Ti3.

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed that the Ti3 is now a version 2. Does anyone know what the difference is between this newer V2 version and the older model?

Thrunite just sent me my free Ti3 V2 in neutral white (for being part of the first 100 to review the new T1 on Amazon) and I can tell you that it is shorter but fatter than the older Ti3 that I bought last year. The V2 seems higher quality and the twisting of the head is now easier as well. Unfortunately the NW tint is more yellow than the previous tint but not too bad.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Always Wrong" UI, that sounds about right.
The only thing that I can figure with these half baked UIs is that they were constrained by circuitry and decided to play limitations off as "features".
I'll take the v1 with 2 second "memory" non feature over this always wrong UI, thanks.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is the occasional "searing experience" UI, or as I call it "always wrong" UI.

thank you,
I have no love for NextModeMemory

suggestion, get a refund
then shop a different seller
or you will get the same Ti3 V2 that they sent you, again

fwiw, Amazon ads are often cloned from prior ads, same happens on Ebay. That means that the ad is wrong, and what they ship is what they actually have.

I recently received a Jetbeam AAA. It has Memory. Whatever level I turn it off at, that is the level it turns on at the next time I use the light. That still means I never know what level it will turn on at, since my Memory does not last long. I use many different lights, and remembering their last used Mode is not something I am good at.

otoh, my TiXmas Thrunite, always starts on firefly. It is very very low, good for a nightstand, never eye searing. Now unavailable, aka, made of unobtanium.

Latest posts