NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the first (and last) flashlight that made you go "whoa . . ."

Default Re: What was the first (and last) flashlight that made you go "whoa . . ."

1988 or 89? Memory is going bad. Surefire 6p purchased from surefire reps at the Chapman Pistol academy with Ray Chapman and Massad Ayoob there running night pistol operations with surefire's new flashlight "designed for tactical use." Was expensive and worth every penny. Leading edge incan tech back then.

More recent whoa, was about 10 years ago with some jetbeam RRT lights, including a 300 lumen thrower, next whoa was malkoff replacement heads for the ancient 6p and 6z lights. Even more recent was a thrower Thrunite 800 lumen.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Default Re: What was the first (and last) flashlight that made you go "whoa . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    Wow, I had no idea Olight had been around that long.
    Yeah, I think they started around 2006. They focused on law enforcement in the beginning. In fact, it was a police officer friend who recommended the brand.

I think that the first light that impressed me was a 3D incan maglite. Prior to that all we had were those 2D incans that you had to tap on the side to keep running.

Following that, I had a blocky sealed beam light from Sears that ran on a rechargeable SLA. I see that it is still available from Dorcy through online Home Depot.

I think the last light that really blew my socks off was my Thrunite TN30. That was a few years ago, and it throws a ton of light. Since then I've acquired a number of lights that are as impressive, maybe more-so, in one way or another, and if I had them first, they would have blown my socks off, but now, with the advance of LEDs, they produce what I have come to expect. So although they are impressive, they don't blow me away.
    Last edited by Poppy; 05-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Exactly Poppy. "Come to expect" is a good way of putting it.

I was 15 or 16 when the mighty Mag focus beam could light up a small target some 2-3 doors down.
    "$20? Are you kidding?"
    - my dad to my mom

He had a 3D Radio Shack Kel-Lite clone he was very proud of. He had paid a whopping $8 for that one. My mom brought home a 3 or 4C Mag a policeman had given her. At first my dad was not impressed (probably due to the price). But it wasn't long after that his Radio Shack light had been replaced with a 3D Maglite. He probably traded a camera lens for it at his work or something 'cause for him to pay 20 bucks for a flashlight was about as likely as Richard Nixon being a commie back then.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-05-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    John 3:16

The first was probably my 2D sized mag85. ~500 lumens at a time when LEDís peaked at 50 lumens.
    The most recent is my thrunite tn42. I feel like Iím holding a lightsaber every time I turn it in.

Flashaholic*

Probably my Olight S1R II.

(Still startles me that such a small light can have 1000 lumens in turbo mode.)

Surefire UDR Dominator and the Surefire M6LT Guardian
    Donít Tread On Me

First was Thrunite TN4A Hi. My first thrower and very early in my collection.
    Last was BLF Q8. I'm impressed with sustainable lumens. This does it with all the flood and throw I could ever need on any hike.

Thrunite TN32. You may laugh, but it was my EDC light I have an EDC bag of appropriate size.

Zebralight SC64c LE.

The first light that ever gave me that reaction was a late 90s 2d maglite.
    Whiter and brighter than others lights I had and I could see the beam as I shined
    it up in the night shy. The second was "big daddy"-a coleman max flashlight with 500
    lumens high and it even had a low. It has a great color temp and still sees use as of last night.
    Thing cost around $48 at walmart in 2012. Pretty high for a cheapsteak like me, but I was on a buying spree lol.
    More recent was the 2c ml25. Bought it and the ml50 3c together--well another guy bought it for me with batteries
    because I told him that is what it would take to get my superstar ss39 dual final cb radio. Put the batteries in both and
    I expected the ml50 to put out, but that little ml25 with its throw and hotspot gave it a run for its money. The last time (I guess),
    was when I got my solitaire spectrum series and lit it up at night.

Ps,lol, I like the time I handed my led solitaire to a lady I knew just to check it out. She had the front facing wrong way and before I could say anything she also let out a kinda whoa when she turned it on,
    but I can't really repeat what she said.

The first: MG PLI, a floody 500 lumen "wall of light." Or so we all thought of it back then.
    The most recent: BLF Q8, with ten times the output of the PLI.

I still have the PLI, and it gets some backyard duty on occasion. My wife actually uses the MG X-Thrower regularly when she goes out to lock up the chickens.

Default What was the first (and last) flashlight that made you go "whoa . . ."

Mag1185 was the first for me. The last was a 4,000 lumen XHP70 in a 2x 18350 host I built myself.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

The last light that made me go whoa...
    Nebo Mycro keychain light. Iím really liking the size/format. Easy to carry, has not accidentally turned on. In actual use I do not see PWM.

I like the UI. 2 button. Momentary or on. Green led is bright enough to walk around in the dark. Red is super low. For a backup or keychain light it fits the bill nicely.

First = Surefire 9N

Interim = Surefire Beast II

Latest = Acebeam X65

First one: SureFire C2 (black)

Last one, at least for now: ThruNite Catapult V6 LED.
    Just an insane amount of throw from such a small light.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Unenlightened

For me it was the Olight s1. I hated the pocket clip, but goodness gracious was that a bright light for it's size! Good thing that the clip was removable!

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    First was probably a MagLite MiniMag back in the early eighties when I was finally able to purchase one with my own money. Spot to flood in one flashlight? Whoa!!

Last was my Acebeam K70 I got from @selfbuilt. The best thrower I own and made me giggle like a second grader caught with his hand in the cookie jar, the first time I lit it up outside.
    Well, the last has now changed since I got an Emisar D4V2 last week. Holy cow!!! Burned right through a piece of paper in about 3 seconds (never had a light capable of that) and I giggled like a little kid all over again.

Hmm, first one would be the one of the best of the "old-class" Surefire lights, a C2 Centurion with aftermarket LED drop-in.

Latest is the Intellibeam Dual-fuel 18650 that Surefire premiered at SHOT this year, 1500 lumens, definitely on my "to-buy" list!

Tom

First? Easy. My black Maglite 3D with Magnum Star bulb and UCL glass lens.

Last? Well, if we use the term LATEST it would be the Lumintop FW3A. Helluva lot of light out of such a small package.

First- 1990- Streamlight 20xl really made we Whoa.

Today- Its the Fenix PD36R- impressive.

1) 1982, my L.A. Screw Smoke-Cutter.

2) 1985, my StreamLight SL-20.

Last were last week.

1) StreamLight HL 5-X USB

2) Surefire EDCL2-T

I've come to realize that over the last 40 years I've spent far too much money on flashlights!
    In a SHTF scenario, the best of plans will go to sh*t, so Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) is the best plan

The first flashlight to make me go "Whoa..." was Summer, 2014, True Value Rayz 1,000 Lumen zoom, 9 x AA included. $19.00 special sale price. It looks like it can still be had for $42.00.

My first real performance light was Four-Sevens MMU-X3. Oct. 2014, 1,600 lumens. This permanently classic item will be forever beloved by me.

The last to make me go "Whoa..." was Imalent R90TS. July 16, 2019. 36,000 lumens. 18x XHP35, 8x 21700 Samsung 40T, two fans. Beam profile similar to X65, but with a little more throw and some more beam width, and some more spill, with more lumens on the target at given range, but in the form of a larger hotspot.

Sig lite lists some of my other 18 real performance lights, All 20 here: My lights.
    Imalent R90TS. Acebeam two X65Vn, K75, X45vn70.2. Eagtac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fx TK75vnQ70. Nc TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Tnt TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

Surefire 6p

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Fire Foxes FF3
    Haha! I still have mine and I still go Whoa!

First time was a Surefire E2. A long time ago now.. I was used to junk lights and Minimags up until then.
    Last edited by ampdude; 09-11-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    ampdude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12