Acebeam        
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BLF/TLF FW3A - now available

Default Re: BLF/TLF FW3A - now available

One warning:

The tailcap is not glued and there is no retaining ring to prevent the switch guts from falling out. Lumintop wanted to glue it, but BLF talked them out of it since they wanted to be able to access the switch guts for modding and clip removal. When changing the battery always remove the head, not the tail.

Thanks fireclaw for the info/review, i am looking forward to tuesday when mine should arrive. Its ended up costing me nearer to $50 than $36 though after customs. No biggie, just dont like being ripped off with the UK handling fee of £8 alone(£4 duty).Anyway, still appears excellent value, not like i needed another triple, but the long wait and build up, one more cant hurt can it haha. Looking forward to the new tweaked UI and the 3d HI's. I do prefer the HI to the sst20 thats available soon, i have 4k and 5k 20's and although fine, they are just not as nice to my eyes as the 4k and 5k HI's.

Cheers! Will add a pic or 2 when i get.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Mine chilled there for about 5 days before making it to the US.
    Mine looks to be aspiring to a similar stay. Probably a consequence of choosing free shipping: will wait for surplus capacity before moving along.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Mine looks to be aspiring to a similar stay. Probably a consequence of choosing free shipping: will wait for surplus capacity before moving along.
    And 5 days later it's suddenly in New Jersey. Perhaps I will get it early next week.

I've got to say this is one of my more eagerly-anticipated purchases and I didn't wait anywhere near as long as some people, joining the list ~08/2018.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Iím 20 minutes from the shipping center in cranbury nj. It took about a week to get to me
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Well pretty impressed, like the design and feel. Does remind me of the HDS in ways, although not as substantial. Nice beam/tint from the 3D HI's also to be expected. Clip has decent retention, not too firm, not too flimsy. One thing i dont care much for, although not a deal breaker........the switch. Just lacks any decent feel like a normal (well clicky) feel. Appears more responsive turning on, fraction of a second delay on the off. Not keen on the design with the switch either, but i am sure it saves on travel.

It is one of those lights to fondle and keep hold of for me. For $36 it is hard to beat, certainly worth a look for a fun EDC light.

Nice pic, Ven! Agreed on the clip, I was expecting less retention but was pleasantly suprised. And it tailstands, which makes me happy. The switch feel, as you said, isn't a dealbreaker. I'm just happy to have an e-switch light I can actually carry and use. I can find the switch, and it doesn't appear that accidental activation is likely. So glad it wasn't another side switch. And yes, for the money, a fun little light.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

I really like the metal switchbutton electronic tailcap switch. I like it much better than any clicky switch.

just got it, diggin it so far

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    Iím 20 minutes from the shipping center in cranbury nj. It took about a week to get to me
    It's now a mere ~25 miles away. I'm hoping that it shows up sometime this week. Is there a handoff to the USPS or does DHL manage the last mile delivery?

Mine showed up on a DHL truck. I waived signature, knowing I'd be home that day.

Don't recall any delivery options with the free shipping tier.

Rcvd mine today. Booyah!

Tossed in a fresh 18650 and started playing with Anduril, right?

Wrong.

All kind of problems. Wouldn't ramp properly. Then started strobing at the end of a 0.3 sec ramp. Then I think it entered candle mode and then shut off.

Terrified, I swapped batteries. Problem fixed?

No.

More UI problems. [started frantically googling "how to reset Anduril"]

Now I'm in full on panic mode.

Swapped batteries again.

And.... then it starts working properly.

Operator head space and timing? Maybe, since I'm a Anduril newb.

Fortunately no issues since the 3rd battery change. (BTW, all the batteries tested out 4.1 or 4.2V)

Overall, very happy with the light. Size is amazing. A mm or two taller than my HDS executive. Unless you look close, they seem basically the same size. I think the Rotary is a little longer than the Exec, so the Rotary might be a tad longer than the FW3A.

I really like the anodizing. The steel grey/blue looks really nice.

My only complaint is about the tint. I wish the LEDs were a little more neutral. Not very knowledgeable on how to interpret the bin codes, but the XP-L HI triple LEDs on my BOSS are so much nicer.

Thinking about getting a second one to mod with some better LEDs.

Not sure how I'm going to use this light though. My EDC is an HDS Executive, which I swap out immediately at home for the BOSS 70. Can't see it displacing either of those two. But I really like the UI, now that it's working properly.

[BTW - I don't think it's possible to do a 'factory reset' on Anduril. Do I have that wrong?]
    Last edited by lion504; 05-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    Rcvd mine today. Booyah!

Tossed in a fresh 18650 and started playing with Anduril, right?

Wrong.

All kind of problems. Wouldn't ramp properly. Then started strobing at the end of a 0.3 sec ramp. Then I think it entered candle mode and then shut off.

Terrified, I swapped batteries. Problem fixed?

No.

More UI problems. [started frantically googling "how to reset Anduril"]

Now I'm in full on panic mode.

Swapped batteries again.

And.... then it starts working properly.

Operator head space and timing? Maybe, since I'm a Anduril newb.
    From posts on facebook and BLF, I gather that the tailcap must be properly tightened otherwise battery and switch contact is not consistent which sounds like the root cause of your issues.

Strange, I think I checked that. Rechecking it now. Thanks.
    My Lights

Flashaholic*

Loosen the head, loosen the tailcap. Then, firmly tighten the tail. After that, tighten the head. That should fix the issues.

If that doesn't work, check the thin driver retaining clip in the head and tighten it down.

IMO, those should really be done at the factory, but at least they're easy fixes for us to do.

Is there anyone who still didnít get any shipping info for order placed pre-May?
    Am i the only looser here?

Sent from Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Is there anyone who still didnít get any shipping info for order placed pre-May?

Sent from Tapatalk
    Depends on which one your ordered. 7A was delayed because Neal didnít have them yet so only 3D went out. Him and his wife just had a son in like the past week so understandably most orders are delayed.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post

Sent from Tapatalk
    I ordered 4/28. A 3D. Nothing yet.

At the local post office per 17Track but not available for pickup the one day I'm at home this week. Hoping they can deliver without signature since I'd have to beg WFH for cause to get it in person this week.

Well, I found out the 4 click lockout is a must. I found it turned on in my pocket for the third time this afternoon. I'm trying to decide if that's a dealbreaker for me or not. I like the form factor, like the UI and features, like the beam shape, but can't have it turning itself on. Twice in jeans, once in cargo shorts. Clipped to the left front pocket. I'm a few pounds overweight, but don't wear skinny jeans or anything.

I think this light might be a candidate for adding an extra spring in the tailcap around the switch.

I did that with my camo Sunwayman V11R.

- I had a Steve Ku (Veleno Designs) e-switch module designed for the V10 that I'd purchased years earlier for a different project. But I only had the circuit board. I didn't have the mounting hardware or Steve Ku switch button.

- I took the stock Titanium ring that came with early V11R and then built fresh switch guts out of epoxy putty, scraps of plastic, and a section of a large spring. Result: My V11R has an electronic switch with metal button. And unlike other electronic switch lights my V11R has a fairly stiff switch owing to the extra spring I added into the tailcap.

If the same treatment can be done to the FW3A, it might significantly stiffen the switch making it more resistant to accidental pocket activation. The goal would be to add a section of a fairly wide spring around the switch button and under the boot.

Also, if you don't like 4-click electronic lockout you can also lock the FW3A out by unscrewing the head 1/8 turn. That's enough to break the connection to the switch rendering the switch inoperable until you screw it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Well, I found out the 4 click lockout is a must. I found it turned on in my pocket for the third time this afternoon. I'm trying to decide if that's a dealbreaker for me or not. I like the form factor, like the UI and features, like the beam shape, but can't have it turning itself on. Twice in jeans, once in cargo shorts. Clipped to the left front pocket. I'm a few pounds overweight, but don't wear skinny jeans or anything.
    Sounds like my experience with the Emisar D4: ALWAYS lock it out for pocket carry - either electronic or mechanical.

Sounds like my experience with the Emisar D4: ALWAYS lock it out for pocket carry - either electronic or mechanical.
    I burnt through 2 pants pockets with an Emisar D4. I always turned them off on moonlight mode, but if the button got held down in my pocket it would ramp up to max turbo. 4300 lumens was more than enough to make short work of any pocket lining.

That said, I think the risk is much smaller with the FW3A. The FW3A's button is mounted on the endcap and doesn't protrude. That makes it a little more resistant to accidental activation than a D4. More importantly, the FW3A uses Anduril rather than the D4's Ramping IOS. In the FW3A if the button is held down in the pocket, it will ramp up to max ramp (about 800 lumens) and stay there. The only way to get to turbo is to double-click, which is unlikely to happen accidentally. 800 lumens will drain the batteries, which isn't good. But on the upside it's not bright enough to burn a hole through your pocket.

I modded a couple Emisar D4 lights to make them much more resistant to accidental pocket activation, including doing the following:

- mounting a modified #14 nickel-plated brass finish washer around the switch button. This turns the raised switch button into a recessed one.

- replaced the rubber switchboot with a metal one that doesn't protrude as much (the metal switchboot is scratchbuilt and consists of a circle of silicone sheet with a much smaller circle below for the piston, and a sheet aluminum circle on top. All glued together with plastic super-glue. The new switchboot requires more pressure to activate than the original rubber one.

- flashed firmware to Anduril so in the unlikely event the switch does accidentally activate in the pocket it won't get to turbo so won't burn through my pockets.

With these modifications my D4 has never turned on accidentally in the pocket. I feel confident in carrying it without lockout.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 05-14-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Follow up:

I've experienced a couple of accidental discharges as well. Like scout24, I quickly figured out how to enable the lockout mode.

Unfortunately, I'm still having UI problems with mine. After a full day of testing, I zeroed in on the problem. It won't ramp up to high. Or go directly to high with a double click. As I ramp up (using smooth ramping), the light will just turn off. Sometimes it will go into a very faint rapid momentary strobe. Other times it will turn on at medium. If I get the sub-lumen strobe, I have to reset the light by loosening and retightening the head.

I've tried the head/tail loosening/retightening with no success. Haven't yet checked the driver retaining clip. Will do that next.
    My Lights

Mine was a bit wonky out of the box, the driver ring was loose. Since tightening, the UI has been perfect. I think I'm going to find or make a washer to JB weld to the tail in an effort to recess the switch button just that little bit. I can't need to quad click every time it comes out of my pocket. Just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Mine was a bit wonky out of the box, the driver ring was loose. Since tightening, the UI has been perfect. I think I'm going to find or make a washer to JB weld to the tail in an effort to recess the switch button just that little bit. I can't need to quad click every time it comes out of my pocket. Just not feasible.
    Boom, that worked. Thanks! It only moved about 0.2mm, but I finally achieved a full ramp!

BTW, what kind of tool did you use to adjust your retaining ring? I used a eyeglasses screwdriver to push clockwise on each side, but it seems like the wrong tool for the job.
    My Lights

I used the smallest screwdriver on my Leatherman. Definitely the wrong tool, but it worked. Same method, tighten from both slots in the ring, working back and forth. Maybe 10 battery changes and it's still tight.

Flashaholic*

IMO, that ruins much of the usefulness of an EDC light. Even though it doesn't take long to unlock a light, it still adds time and after a few times becomes a PITA. I just want to take the light out of my pocket, and click the switch to turn it on.

I've carried various Zebralights in my pocket (SC52's, SC5, SC600's, SC64), and never had a problem with them turning on accidentally.

That said, I don't plan to use the FW3A as a pocket light, so it won't be an issue for me. But, if I was pocket-carrying it, that would cause me to think twice about carrying it.

Got the package today. Initial impressions extremely positive. The tailswitch has a pleasing snap. The UI differs a bit from my Emisars but is still predictable. The overall shape and size is ideal for my large hands. I appreciate the minimal utilitarianism of its design. The 500K tint isn't anything to write home about but the beam profile looks to be between my stock and floody D4 optic. Turbo gets hot FAST.

Will see how it performs this evening.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed is that the FW3A is sensitive to both the tailcap and the head being firmly tightened down to the battery tube. It might pay to use some removable loc-tite on the tail.

I find it easier to hit click sequences with the tailswitch than on my Emisars. Big surface, more movement, more assertive tactile click in response.

I'll need to remember some of the menu sequences peculiar to the FW3A - it's a bit different than the D4/D1/D1S, which are different from the D4S. I ought bother with the thermal config (on all of them) if nothing else - I gather that's almost always rather low as a precaution due to wide convergence in factory calibration.
    Last edited by idleprocess; 05-15-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast