Maxtorch        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BLF/TLF FW3A - now available

Default Re: BLF/TLF FW3A - now available

Setting thermal config is a must if you plan to use it in "muggle mode" at all. Mine would step down to 5 lm or so in less than 10 seconds prior to setting the temp. Works fine now. Oddly, in "normal" mode, I didn't notice it being an issue. It's a neat light, I just wish the switch was a bit more recessed.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Well, my box worked fine. Tail was loose on the light, tightened before I even tried it. Seems to be working fine. It is easy to turn on when putting it away (I Cary in a leather holster/pocket organizer). Tint is a little green , come on sst20, I got the 3D. I found the 4 click lockout, itís too good, had to unscrew the head to resume normal operation, mind you I have not read the instructions.
    What a barn burner for $35!

High
    ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1558146236.754963.jpg
    Turbo
    ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1558146251.987585.jpg

I'm super pleased with mine. Only two things to note, don't expect it to be able to sustain turbo for any amount of time, it's very lightweight and compact, the heat from 2800 lumens has no where to go and the stepdown kicks in rapidly (this should be expected really). Second thing is like everyone said, After a couple days of carrying it I found the electronic lockout a necessity.

If you don't like 4-clicks for electronic lockout, alternatively you can disable the switch with a 1/8 turn of the head. This isn't a true physical lockout since the driver is still powered. However, it can be treated as a physical lockout since the switch no longer works and the parasitic drain is so low.

I'm using my FW3A with no lockout. It has turned on in the pocket on low once or twice, but no harm done. Main reason I use lockout in a light is I don't want it to burn through my pocket. I don't mind accidental pocket turn-on so long as this doesn't happen and the accidental turn-ons are rare.

An Emisar D4 needs lockout or mods for safe pocket carry. The button protrudes and if depressed and held down it will ramp to turbo and stay there, which is easily hot enough to burn through a pants pocket in seconds.

In contrast, the FW3A uses Anduril. Even if the button accidentally depresses and is held down it will only ramp up to 2.8 amps output... not high enough to cause pocket damage. Only way to get to turbo is a double-click when on, or manually changing the ramp configuration settings. Neither of which are likely to happen accidentally in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    ... I found the 4 click lockout, itís too good, had to unscrew the head to resume normal operation, mind you I have not read the instructions.
    What a barn burner for $35!
    If you had to unscrew the head to resume normal operations you clicked 5 times rather than 4 I think.

5 clicks activates momentary mode. Only way to get out of it is unscrew the head. 4 clicks activates lockout. To get out of it do 4 clicks again.

Well, I'm not fussing with 1/8 turns or 4 click lockouts. If I'm carrying a light this size, it's clipped to my left front pants pocket. If it comes on accidentally when I move, (get in or out of the car for example) onto the BST it goes unless there's another solution. HDS, for example. As much as I love their raised button, I would get accidental activation. Changing to flush buttons has solved this problem for me. My attempt at a solution for this light, however inelegant, was to disassemble the tailcap, remove the ano from the flat portion on the end, and JB Weld a flat aluminum washer to the tailcap in an effort to recess the switch far enough to try to eliminate the problem. It'll go in my pocket tomorrow morning, I have my fingers crossed as otherwise it seems to be a great little light. I wish they had taken tailcap design cues from McGizmo or Okluma, however...

Well that'll work too! And yours is instantly reversible! Nicely done.

Well, thereís a little double sided tape... for

Just ordered one for a bud that always wanted a 18650 NiteCore D10. Also, I really like firmware.

Would i be right in thinking that isn't really a light to give to a Muggle?
    I'm always looking for decent, good value lights that I can give to friends. but what with the tailcap tightening, accidental switch on and the complex UI, should I leave this one out?
    Thank you,
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Nealsgadgets just annoumced that 219C 4000K is available...
    So much of SST-20

Sent from Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I'm always looking for decent, good value lights that I can give to friends. but what with the tailcap tightening, accidental switch on and the complex UI, should I leave this one out?
    Thank you,
    P
    It's most definitely not a light for the uninitiated. For personal safety reasons
    The chap I'm sending one to is very familiar with the somewhat complicated user interfaces, such as HDS and the NiteCore D10.

Just stumbled on this in the "what's new" section. Sounds good. Just finished my order. After reading here I definitely went with expedited shipping. I chose xpl hi 3d. Someone want to tell me how that compares to the other options? Bit of an impulse buyer.

Steve in L.A

Sent from my SM-T800 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
    It's most definitely not a light for the uninitiated. For personal safety reasons
    The chap I'm sending one to is very familiar with the somewhat complicated user interfaces, such as HDS and the NiteCore D10.
    Very true. The muggle mode is a nice way to limit that. However, even better is to put it into momentary mode.

Anduril takes some getting used to but I find it more intuitive than NarsilM and certainly superior to the old NovaTac 120P / HDS programmable UI (those were great for their time, but really outdated at this point). I really like how you can set the floor and ceiling levels (independent of Turbo) and the step count for stepped ramping. I use 10 steps, so the 1st mode after moonlight isn't too bright. Stepping up doesn't take long to do. And I find it easier than smooth ramping (requires too much "trial and error" going up/down to decide on a brightness). Even still, if you decide you want smooth ramping, you don't have to go through a laborious series of clicks to get to it. A triple-click while on toggles smooth/stepped ramping. VERY easy.

I really wish they'd make a better tailcap with a retaining ring for the switch. The fact that the 3 switch components can easily fall out when removing the tail cap is severely annoying. There's also a small "nubbin" that's friction docked to the rubber switch cover, and it can fall out. If that happens? Forget about your light functioning.

Would i be right in thinking that isn't really a light to give to a Muggle? I'm always looking for decent, good value lights that I can give to friends. but what with the tailcap tightening, accidental switch on and the complex UI, should I leave this one out? Thank you

The "muggle mode" is useful for when allowing a flashlight neophyte to use it... but not own it. I think the tail cap vulnerability is the glaring flaw in this flashlight that would be a deal breaker for giving it to a muggle for ownership.
    Last edited by xevious; 05-22-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

I would guess that when Lumintop brings out their branded version, it'll be glued in the tail and head end. I was under the impression they left everything accessible on these early versions by request of the design group...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I would guess that when Lumintop brings out their branded version, it'll be glued in the tail and head end. I was under the impression they left everything accessible on these early versions by request of the design group...
    That makes sense--if the intention was to enable modders easy access to make changes. I've already seen someone cut a groove in the metal tail cap switch cover for installing a tritium vial. But a retaining ring would've been a better idea for the tail cap. If it meant $5 more, i'd have paid it. I don't intend on doing anything with the switch so maybe it might be worthwhile to use a simple flexible glue to help avoid annoyance if/when having to remove the tail cap.
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Agreed they should have used a retaining ring in the tail.

If they had cut the threads the same as the head they probably could have just used a retaining ring identical to the one in the head.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    That makes sense--if the intention was to enable modders easy access to make changes. I've already seen someone cut a groove in the metal tail cap switch cover for installing a tritium vial. But a retaining ring would've been a better idea for the tail cap. If it meant $5 more, i'd have paid it. I don't intend on doing anything with the switch so maybe it might be worthwhile to use a simple flexible glue to help avoid annoyance if/when having to remove the tail cap.
    BLF lights are usually made with modders in mind given the audience. Glue is a huge PITA when modding.

Unenlightened

I'm new to the modern LED flashlight obsession (but longtime lover of the old mag lights and cool lights in general). Despite reading many, many hours of threads here and on r/flashlight and BLF, and buying a light every few days it seems, I'm still basically a muggle. But making progress. Anyway, I say all that to agree that the FW3A is a light best for enthusiasts, not for muggles. I do love mine but it's a lot to learn for the uninitiated (like me). It might be my favorite light so far, but I've been reluctant to give it as a gift for the same reason, will probably stick to gifting simpler models. Still, I feel lucky to have found the community in time to participate in the FW3A, really big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    BLF lights are usually made with modders in mind given the audience. Glue is a huge PITA when modding.
    Depends upon the glue. A little "shoe goo" is adhesive enough to do the trick while still being removable.

Flashaholic*

That's a tough one, perhaps the first run should be marketed as such. But here I am happy there is zero glue ha.

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    That's a tough one, perhaps the first run should be marketed as such. But here I am happy there is zero glue ha.
    I'm especially glad there's none in the head. Changing optics is really simple in this light. And with Carclo offering a nice selection, you can easily customize the beam pattern in mere minutes. This capability is terrific to have.

Here are some photos to give a better representation with matched beam shots (instead of just separate stock LED Supply photos).

Some GITD tape applied on the inside wall...
    Last edited by xevious; 05-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.

10507 optic looks great!!!

I have one in 5000k due to arrive later at my courier branch.

Where do you guys order your Carclo optics?
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

I have the clear narrow in mine and much better imo. As much as I like a soft floody useful beam (have enough anyway), I seem to prefer the clear optics for the large tighter hot spot and reach .

I bought a few carclo optics USA side , think I just did a google and bought that way.

Edit- comedy auto correcting words
    Last edited by ven; 05-24-2019 at 02:11 AM.

I also prefer the 10507 clear narrow for the extra throw. The beam pattern in the 10511 or polished 10511 looks prettier, but the extra punch of 10507 is more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I have the clear narrow in mine and much better imo. As much as I like a soft floody useful beam (have enough anyway), I seem to prefer the clear optics for the large tighter hot spot and reach .

I bought a few carclo optics USA side , think I just did a google and bought that way.

Edit- comedy auto correcting words
    Yeah, after playing with them for a while, I'm leaning towards the more conventional 10507. You do get more of a hotspot with it, but with diffused enough edges so that it's not harsh. Still decent spill. The light is more efficient than with stock. The 10509 is very nice and floody. It's great to have the option for when you're planning to do broad near-field illumination. The 10510 is fun. I like the elliptical pattern, giving the light orientation. It's more floody than a 10507, but still has a nice hotspot. The moonlight in this FW3A is definitely too bright for firefly. The 10510 and 10509 reduce it nicely. The lines on the 10510 make for nice eye candy on low modes. When efficiency is called for, the 10507 would be my choice, over stock.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Where do you guys order your Carclo optics?
    In the USA we have LED Supply, which is very economical. With a little discount, each optic was $1.50 and shipping was free. Can't beat that!

Thank you,
    P
    There's a literal "Muggle Mode" in the UI to make the UI non complex, and also limit the output for safety

OK, thanks everyone - I have a few misgivings, so I'll pass on this one.
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 05-25-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post

Some GITD tape applied on the inside wall...
    outstanding photos!
    Im also a fan of the 10507... here on an Eye10 Rotary
    Last edited by jon_slider; 05-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast