Looking to build a decent AAA light for EDC. Need some guidance.

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
I have recently built a full size 18350 light with Nicha 219C Triple setup and DrJonesH17. Loving it but want to make something smaller. So far I have easily found the parts listed but am having trouble/unsure what will work with the rest of it.

Driver - Possible MTN10DD
I wanted to use the MTN 10DD but frim what im reading I cant use AAA I have to use 10440s with it. I want something fully programmable but something i throw a AAA in and let the kids run around with and not worry. Maybe I you can help me find a AAA driver? Maybe I can have both?

LED/pad - Sinkpad with Nicha 219C
Since im already familiar with using the 219C and love the out puts I want to stick with this. I am open to suggestions though.
LED Nicha 219

Reflector and Lens
No idea on this yet. I have been on the hunt the last few days but haven't seen anything i like yet. Prefer a nice throw mixed with flood. I don't need it for one particular purpose.

Spring
Not sure the spring really matters at these low voltages?

I like to design my lights around the parts once i have them in hand so I dont have any renderings yet but I got an idea in my head. Figure this will get the journey started anyways and increase my knowledge. I am fan of full technical explanations and love to learn to please feel free to school me. I have the machines to make great things I just need the knowledge to work the inside bits and not blow anything up! Here is a pic of my recently completed 18350. dont mind the 3d printed clip. Waiting for material!

BXSHQ5s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent, good to see another maker join the ranks.

You might be overlooking something with the driver. I generally get my components from Mountain Elec, and their Fet/dd drivers offer Bistro firmware. This has a 'muggle' mode that greatly reduces the high mode. So you can keep a lithium rechargeable cell with all its benefits, and not burn your house down.

I haven't built a AA/ triple A size torch yet, I think I'd need skinnier boring bars :)

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
excellent, good to see another maker join the ranks.

You might be overlooking something with the driver. I generally get my components from Mountain Elec, and their Fet/dd drivers offer Bistro firmware. This has a 'muggle' mode that greatly reduces the high mode. So you can keep a lithium rechargeable cell with all its benefits, and not burn your house down.

I haven't built a AA/ triple A size torch yet, I think I'd need skinnier boring bars :)

Thank you! I may be but I assume since it says it wont run under 2.5A that a AAA 1.5V will not even turn it on? Also Im sure its pretty rare to have something happen but like i said I want a light that I can make for my kids too and not have to worry about it. I will prob do both drivers unless I can find one that runs both.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike of Copper and Current (FB group) is working on a programmable 15mm boost driver for AA/AAA. He's on CPF but I forgot his name, he's the one that made the Lamplighter

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
Mike of Copper and Current (FB group) is working on a programmable 15mm boost driver for AA/AAA. He's on CPF but I forgot his name, he's the one that made the Lamplighter
Was hopping for something in the 10-12 range for the AAA but I'll search that out. Thank you!