Are sst90 LEDs still sought after?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see much on these LEDs. They do seem like an older LED. It also has some sort of high flicker effect that makes water look like motion stop. Is this just a byproduct of SST90 ?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see much on these LEDs. They do seem like an older LED. It also has some sort of high flicker effect that makes water look like motion stop. Is this just a byproduct of SST90 ?

I think the main reason you don't see many SST-90 are that they old and outdated. Modern LEDs like XHP 70.2 are considerably brighter and cheaper.

As far as the flickering effect you described, that sounds like slow PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). PWM is controlled by the driver, not the LED. It is a way of getting lower brightness settings by strobing the LED on and off very rapidly. Most quality modern LED flashlights use high-frequency PWM that isn't visible to the naked eye and is much more pleasant to look at. But your light might be an older one that still uses low-frequency PWM.

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the main reason you don't see many SST-90 are that they old and outdated. Modern LEDs like XHP 70.2 are considerably brighter and cheaper.

As far as the flickering effect you described, that sounds like slow PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). PWM is controlled by the driver, not the LED. It is a way of getting lower brightness settings by strobing the LED on and off very rapidly. Most quality modern LED flashlights use high-frequency PWM that isn't visible to the naked eye and is much more pleasant to look at. But your light might be an older one that still uses low-frequency PWM.
Bummer. Looks like I'll need to get them modded.