Light for Night Fishing - With LED Color That Won't Attract Bugs!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking amber, or perhaps yellow-green, but not really sure. The damn things (no-see-ums, mosquitoes and it seem every other kind of biting critter) seem to find me in the dark, anyway, regardless of repellent, but I'd rather not bump into stuff or put a hook through my finger, so...

Doesn't need to be a thrower, or even particularly bright. It's a just a close range work / walking light. A headlamp would work, too.

I think AA or AAA rather than CR123 would be the best battery choice, as this will be used around salt water, which I suspect might not be friendly to lithium cells if for some reason the light isn't sealed.

I could get a SureFire Aviator in amber, but they are pricey, and from what I've read, have not been seen to be one of SF's best efforts of the past few years. And, yeah, CR123a. Not sure I want that in the surf.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
I have noticed that warm white tends to attract slightly less bugs than cool white. "Like a moth to a candle" warm white will still attract bugs.

Don't worry about the batteries and water. Any respectable headlamp will be completely sealed. Avoid 3xAAA since their runtimes tend to be overstated and changing 3xAAA in the dark is no fun.

I don't know of any appropriate headlamps that come with a particularly warm white emitter. Are you comfortable with modding? Adding a color filter?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
During the summer I did a lot of tests with lights and insects.
It is true that the neutral/warm tint attracts slightly less insects (but it still attracts them!)
Concentrated light (a classic torch beam) is the best option.
The diffused light like an Armytek Wizard or a Zebralight H600Fw (frosted/opaque lens) attracts them much more.
In any case, avoid lights with a 120-degree aperture (such as Zebralight H604w or similar) because it attracts all the insects in the world.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
im usng the zebralight h600 fc on moonlight mode. When wading, i bump up the output a bit. It's so dim in moonlight mode, it wont attract much. On the worst spots i use a mosquito net over my head anyway.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I actually have a warm white ZL headlamp (not the flood) so I guess I could try that.
The bugs in FL are just going to laugh at me, I know it.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic, but if you'd like to keep most of the mosquitoes away. Place a generous amount (as well as carry a bottle of the stuff with you) of 100% Eucalyptus Oil on your collar, as well as your shoulder area. I work outside at night, an they get pretty bad around where I am. I also use DEET-FREE Repel Natural insect repellent. Sprayed generously on my neck and exposed areas, e.g. arms, etc.. I wear black, so no worries about stains, I spray my shirt with the Repel Natural as well. These guys will bite right thru the dang shirt!

I haven't tried it, so can't confirm how well it works, but an acquaintance, USAF (retired) Major, told me while working with the Navy. The guards on duty used Eucalyptus + Spearmint Body Lotion to keep the critter off them. I found a Bath & Body Works on Amazon, still have it on my shopping list. The reason I haven't tried it is, it's so darn hot here, and I sweat all night, I figure that may wash the stuff off.

Anyways, good luck on your search for a light!

Pops

Last edited:

MeMeMe

Banned
Many biting insects are attracted by smell and the things you exhale, not light unfortunately.