Are Surefire bezels universal / interchangeable ?

tailgateparty

Newly Enlightened
I need to replace the bezel on an old Surefire 628 MP5 forend. I've contacted Surefire and the part is discontinued.

Are surefire bezels pretty universal and interchangeable? As in a 6P or Z44 bezel will also thread on?

Thanks!

RamTuff

Newly Enlightened
I need to replace the bezel on an old Surefire 628 MP5 forend. I've contacted Surefire and the part is discontinued.

Are surefire bezels pretty universal and interchangeable? As in a 6P or Z44 bezel will also thread on?

Thanks!

Well, there are many, way more versed folks here on CPF than I at answering this but since I stumbled upon it and it's been a few hours since you posted, I'll jump in and try to help.

Are surefire bezels pretty universal and interchangeable? - Well, yes and no, all depends on the series of the light which I think is safe to say, directly relates to body diameter or the threads for the head of that body. I've tried to school myself on these "series" but haven't gotten the whole curriculum on it as of late.

For the light you're speaking of, the SF 628 MP5 forend, if I'm not mistaken, if used on a weapon, should be topped off with a Z32 bezel/head. This is a shock isolating head, has a cushy rubber shock absorber between the lens and the lamp assembly. This isolates or tries to isolate the recoil of a fired weapon protecting the lamp from this violent motion. Some dropins such as the Malkoff offerings are immune to this recoil thus don't require the shock absorbing head.

The 6P and MANY other "C" series bodies in fact take the Z44 but will also accept the Z32. So, if you were using an aftermarket dropin designed to handle recoil, you could infact use the Z44 on your weapon.

I can't honestly say what model number the smaller "E" series heads have, if they have anything other than... "E" series heads. Some of the larger hand-held and weapons lights require yet another model series of heads. For instance, the Z46s are found on your M9nn Millennium Series weapon mounted lights or "light kits". These are typically relegated to older incandescent lamps, but there are manufacturers that make very nice LED options.

I think and hope I covered that... the wife's hollering that the pizza's getting cold and that just totally distracted me ;)

-RamTuff
0KA - Dave

Addendum: On the vein of part of what I mentioned above, take a look at this thread for a little more insight on SF "Series"

Also, pay heed to what Novice mentions about heat dissipation, with polymers and such, the last... maybe "Gen 3" of the Z32 head doesn't have the "cooling fins" of the older generations, sometimes referred to "M2" heads as I 'believe' they are often referred to as they (I think) first seen on the M2 Centurion. Look for articles from a member called "Size15" I think is his handle, he's said to be quite the guru on Surefire, but for me, he's like Bigfoot, I've seen his tracks but haven't run across him as of yet ;) I think Archimedes (hope I didn't butcher that), a moderator on here, I believe I've read that he's quite the SF Aficionado.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was well written, RamTuff. I would just like to add that if you are planning on using a P60-type incandescent lamp assembly, then you should probably be looking for a Z32 bezel, for its recoil-handling properties. The Z32, however is not as good at dissipating heat when using led drop-in modules. This is not an issue when using incandescent lamps, but it can be an issue when using bright led modules which should not be allowed to get too hot (because it can damge the led). The Z44 bezels better facilitate the transfer of heat from the housing of the led module, to the bezel, where its contact with the flashlight body helps draw the heat away from the led module. To tell you the truth, since the body of the MP5 fore-end (sp?) is polymer, I'm not sure exactly how the fore-end deals with the heat that can build up in the aluminum body of the light, but obviously, it must work out. Just don't use a Surefire nitrolon bezel. To get the authoritative word, you might want to send Gene Malkoff an email (malkoff - no space - devices.com) and ask him which of his led drop-ins he might or might not recommend to use in an aluminnum bezel attached to an aluminum Surefire, which is inserted in a polymer fore-end.

tailgateparty

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks RamTuff & Novice for the thorough replies!

This is the forend, from my googling of a Z32 bezel it does look identical.

quhZGhG.jpg

I was anticipating doing a Malkoff LED upgrade so that's great info regarding heat dissipation.

RamTuff

Newly Enlightened
Anticipate!? DO or DO NOT, there is no ANTICIPATE! Hey! it's May the forth be with you Day, what'd u expect?!? :p but seriously, you won't regret going with Malkoff... really!

Last edited:

gimmethatthinkpad

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks RamTuff & Novice for the thorough replies!

This is the forend, from my googling of a Z32 bezel it does look identical.

I was anticipating doing a Malkoff LED upgrade so that's great info regarding heat dissipation.

I am interested in doing the same conversion, by putting a surefire P6 head on the 628 and using a malkoff as the bulb. Did this work out for you in the end? I'm asking because Malkoff states that their dropins won't fit lighted forearms.