Using a Cree MC-E in a P60 style drop-in

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd really like to try a Cree MC-E in a P60 drop-in. I found a few for sale, but not sure if they will work since I don't have any direct experience with modding. Since I have to buy the LEDs first, hoping to get some guidance on whether this project is possible. I'm trying to make a poor mans Prometheus Alpha maker's choice :)

Here's the data on the LED:
MCE4WT-A2-0000-000KE4
Mounting Style: SMD/SMT
Wavelength/Color Temperature: 4500 K
Luminous Flux/Radiant Flux: 370 lm
Color Rendering Index - CRI: 75
If - Forward Current: 350 mA
Vf - Forward Voltage: 3.1 V
Reverse Voltage: 5 V
Power Rating: 9.5 W
Length: 7.5 mm
Width: 7 mm
Height: 4.5 mm

parametrek

Enlightened
I've done this. My advice is go to Deal Extreme. For $17 you can get an MC-E P60 dropin with a WF-502B host thrown in for free.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
MC-E is a pretty old LED. Is there any reason why you want to go with that instead of another? I have to admit, I don't have any experience with it myself and it does look cool but other than that, are there any other benefits to it?

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
No logical reason. Have to admit I'm a tint snob and I want to try an LED that seems to be highly regarded. My understanding is it provides a nice floody beam and at 4500k, a nice creamy tint. Jason at Prometheus continues to sell it in his hosts - I'm interpreting that as a vote that the older technology is still relevant.

Trying to find out if the specs I posted are similar to those of the MC-E used by Prometheus.

archimedes

Flashaholic
One thing to note about the MC-E is that the particular reflector (or optic) used is pretty important, since it is a quad-die emitter.

If these aren't well matched and positioned, you can get a substantial "donut" effect.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Being that it is a quad die emitter, the "tint lottery" isn't as bad, because with 4 separate dies, the resultant beam ends up as a bit of an "average" of the 4 dies. This helps them be a bit more consistent from one emitter to the next. At least in theory.
To answer your question about specs lion504, back when I looked at the data sheets cree has for the MCE, I can't actually find an MCE emitter that seemed to match Jason's specs. For example, a 4500k emitter with an 80+ CRI doesn't seem to exist. Maybe that's because of advancements made since those data sheets were made? What I see is Cree saying the 3500k and 4000k emitters have a typical CRI of 80, while the 2700k and 3000k emitters have a typical CRI of 82. Jason says his MCE is 4500k 82 CRI...
I suppose that doesn't really answer your question now that I'm reading what I typed out. Archie is correct about the beam pattern. Even with the BOOM reflector in the Alpha, there is a very (very) subtle "donut hole" in the center of the beam pattern. Maybe not exactly a hole, more like a slightly less bright center of the hotspot.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... To answer your question about specs lion504, back when I looked at the data sheets cree has for the MCE, I can't actually find an MCE emitter that seemed to match Jason's specs. For example, a 4500k emitter with an 80+ CRI doesn't seem to exist....

What I see is Cree saying the 3500k and 4000k emitters have a typical CRI of 80, while the 2700k and 3000k emitters have a typical CRI of 82. Jason says his MCE is 4500k 82 CRI....

One possibility is that Prometheus may have independently tested their particular reel of emitters and/or "handpicked" individual LED for use.

As you clearly note above, emitter spec sheets usually list "typical" (or sometimes, minimum) CRI values, as these can vary significantly even within a single bin.

If you need or want such specific technical details, you may need to contact him directly to see if he is willing to share that information.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. It helps a lot, and I understand the risks better. Couldn't find anything at DealExtreme, so I'm going to give this a shot. Will report back here after project completion.

I've previously tried to communicate with Jason through his website with no success. Probably very busy with orders.

One more question. Can anyone recommend a MCPCB? I believe I need one that is 16mm and not a star. Suitable for use in a P60. Apparently the brass heat sink I need can take up to 16mm and the stars are hard to clip down to 16mm without cutting a trace in the pad causing shorts. Maybe one that I could pick up from mtnelectronics?

Thanks!

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest trying the Nichia E21A?

You can get a quad die setup too and you can customize your tint and color temp. If you combine two color temps on opposite sides of the spectrum say 6500k and 3000k their average color temp will be neutral and their tint will be quite rosy. Choose color temps closer together to get a more neutral tint and still average a similar color temperature.

They are also available as R9080 which meets and exceeds the legendary 219B R9080.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try typing "MC-E" into the search box? There are only 37 results. 3 of them are $17 P60 dropins with a free host.
Search wasn't working properly when I first tried it. Now it is. I can't tell the temp - the ad just says "warm white." I'm fixated on 4500k, which is my favorite. But I'm wondering whether it would be possible to harvest the MC-E MCPCB off one of these cheap lights...

Might I suggest trying the Nichia E21A?

You can get a quad die setup too and you can customize your tint and color temp. If you combine two color temps on opposite sides of the spectrum say 6500k and 3000k their average color temp will be neutral and their tint will be quite rosy. Choose color temps closer together to get a more neutral tint and still average a similar color temperature.

They are also available as R9080 which meets and exceeds the legendary 219B R9080.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will give it some consideration. Can you suggest a good MCPCB that is 16mm or smaller? Thanks again.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search wasn't working properly when I first tried it. Now it is. I can't tell the temp - the ad just says "warm white." I'm fixated on 4500k, which is my favorite. But I'm wondering whether it would be possible to harvest the MC-E MCPCB off one of these cheap lights...

Thanks for this suggestion. I will give it some consideration. Can you suggest a good MCPCB that is 16mm or smaller? Thanks again.

Virence VR16SP4 is the exact word to search google for to bring up where you want to go, both for the board and emitters.

They are quite beautiful as well although this particular build has 2000k R9050 emitters:
htVsPJz.jpg

5QsX8HU.jpg

However this is the combination I suggested although you cannot see them. These are in a desk lamp I modded it is a diffuse mule setup. The goofy looking LED on the right is a 219B SW45k R9080 ;)
BqtqYJk.jpg