ill never understand this world

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much of our existence is quantifiable and explainable. How that all interacts can't always be rationalized, and life certainly cares not for our understanding.

I'm a Patton guy- "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

You care because they matter. They matter because they had an effect. They had an effect because they lived. It's never enough, but often, it's all we get.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
..but in your previous thread you rejected how sad television is, now you're referencing current events pop culture?

There is nothing objective to be made from your comment. There is no logic. Sandler is sad about the loss of his friend, this is a great example that points out this happens to everyone and not just "us regular folk"- it's also a great way for the point to reach a large audience of people, instead of lamenting the death of Richard Avedon alone in a forum full of engineers.....

And which one exactly is the target of this Love?
Farley who died or Sandler who is just resting on his Billions as he put it?

Why are y'all so touchy about his example? Clearly the guy is feeling a certain way, what's the point of being so pointlessly antagonistic? Normally I'm not one to call this out, but come on, he's not running for President.

What does the money matter? Princess Dianna was a wealthy royal, but was hugely adored by millions, even still. Robin Williams, also extremely wealthy, but was definitely a profound figure in my childhood that represented fun, laughter, and just general joy and enthusiasm for life. Wealth doesn't make his death any less significant.

Internet is gonna internet I guess, just seems like a real solid waste of energy to antagonize someone who's just feeling a little down.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing objective to be made from your comment. There is no logic. Sandler is sad about the loss of his friend, this is a great example that points out this happens to everyone and not just "us regular folk"- it's also a great way for the point to reach a large audience of people, instead of lamenting the death of Richard Avedon alone in a forum full of engineers.....

Why are y'all so touchy about his example? Clearly the guy is feeling a certain way, what's the point of being so pointlessly antagonistic? Normally I'm not one to call this out, but come on, he's not running for President.

What does the money matter? Princess Dianna was a wealthy royal, but was hugely adored by millions, even still. Robin Williams, also extremely wealthy, but was definitely a profound figure in my childhood that represented fun, laughter, and just general joy and enthusiasm for life. Wealth doesn't make his death any less significant.

Internet is gonna internet I guess, just seems like a real solid waste of energy to antagonize someone who's just feeling a little down.

I am genuinely curious about what he is saying thats all.

I too was really struck about Farley when I saw this live the other night.

Read into it whatever makes you feel better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There is nothing objective to be made from your comment.

Raggie's previous thread was a screed against depressing modern television which then evolved into a discussion where everyone agreed they'd never looked at a television since 1984. Then this thread is created about ...a sad thing that happened on last night's Saturday Night Live. So are we Amish or are we taking about what's on the DVR?

Raggie's previous thread was a screed against depressing modern television which then evolved into a discussion where everyone agreed they'd never looked at a television since 1984. Then this thread is created about ...a sad thing that happened on last night's Saturday Night Live. So are we Amish or are we taking about what's on the DVR?

Nope! The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I watch TV pretty much every night. Probably for bout two hours.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you're being both hyperbolic and pedantic.... That's not what the thread is about, it's not that difficult of a post to understand. He literally states it's just an *example* of what he's feeling. I'm sure he could also cite something from Romeo and Juliet, but I bet most people wouldn't bother to read it.... unless you would now just because I state otherwise.

I don't in any way see how the other thread is relevant, isn't the point of different threads to separate topics? TBH seems much more like you're just griefing him because you disagreed in the past. In which case, why follow and pester if you don't want to actually add to the discussion?

Guy comes here feeling a little down and wants to shoot the breeze, and people just want to bring up past disagreements and be purposely obtuse? Why such negativity? I just don't see the point.

Nope! The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I watch TV pretty much every night. Probably for bout two hours.

Just don't you dare try to use anything you see as an example on this forum! :rolleyes:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
And honestly I say all this for the same reasons OP made the post. 2017, though now a few years back, was extremely rough. Still feeling the shokwaves. I'm still young, but it showed me a lot, and changed my whole perspective.

Ever since, I see little point in putting more negativity into this world. My general experience here has been extremely positive and respectful, I would like to think that if I came here feeling down, people would be more supportive.

archimedes

Flashaholic

This is kinda the reason for collecting those scattered thoughts in one Grand Unified Thread ....

.... Guy comes here feeling a little down and wants to shoot the breeze, and people just want to bring up past disagreements and be purposely obtuse? Why such negativity? I just don't see the point....

.... Ever since, I see little point in putting more negativity into this world. My general experience here has been extremely positive and respectful, I would like to think that if I came here feeling down, people would be more supportive.

I agree, and since I'm getting a negative vibe off this thread too, I think it has run its course.

Those who want to move their positive thoughts and well wishes on over to raggies universal cafe thread are welcomed to do so ...[emoji106]

Status
Not open for further replies.