NEW 2 Speed 2D Maglite

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
iETcx5E.jpg
Looks like the gave it the same treatment that the gave to the new 2 speed 2C ML25, added a low mode, increased the run time and bumped up the lumens (from 168 to 213). I think the throw is longer at 464M too. 127 hr run time on low!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
53k+ cd?!?! Winner winner chicken dinner.

So I'm supposing this is the update to the 'classic' Mag and not an ML or other monicker?

It's got that big ole thrower head on it like those from the 80's.
Nice.IMG-20190506-160606.jpg
An 015 incan next to ML25

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This plus a decent D lantern and a dozen Duracells(stored outside the light and replaced every couple years) will be a decent contingency light setup for a non flashaholic household.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are mags only ipx4? Is it due to the twisty head?

- Mags have a lot of places where water potentially could get in, particularly when submerged, and Mag dosen't glue anything together.

- I am guessing it's a safe bet that they can easily pass the IPx4 standard and they don't see a need to pay expensive lab testing for higher ratings that they may or may not pass.

- And yes, Mag does have their lights tested by a certified independent labs, unlike many other companies that just make up their FL1 specifications - just look at all of the phony claims for 1.5 M drop ratings! The FL1 standard only rates impact in 1 M intervals - any company who has ever claimed 1.5 M is a fake.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
How are they getting 464 meters of throw with only 200 lumens when there big boy are 500-700 lumens and throwing the same? Different LED?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are they getting 464 meters of throw with only 200 lumens when there big boy are 500-700 lumens and throwing the same? Different LED?

Different reflector! The Mags are SMO and deep. Something like a Malkoff or an E series in shallow and MOP. It provides a much floodier beam.

I think the perfect mix is a Mag with an SMO reflector. Tons of throw and flood! Super clean beam.

N2TcBbZ.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes but mags bigger lights are putting out 3 times the lumens and have the same throw. Think there all the same size reflector. Must be led.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Why are mags only ipx4? Is it due to the twisty head?
I think they are actually IPX7 . I've done plenty of independent real world testing , submerging in water etc with no problems. On another note are these electronic switch or mechanical ? I like the mechanical switch due to no parasitic drain on the batteries.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I'm wondering if it's the switch boot that they rate it this way. I know for a fact you can dunk mags under water and there fine.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Ya I'm wondering if it's the switch boot that they rate it this way. I know for a fact you can dunk mags under water and there fine.

Not that I want to be the guy to try this, but what happens if you try to use the adjustable focus while it was submerged? I'm thinking that could be a factor in the rating. Maybe they're just playing it safe because nobody can really complain if the light outperforms the ratings?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but mags bigger lights are putting out 3 times the lumens and have the same throw. Think there all the same size reflector. Must be led.

The LED is much smaller. Smaller LED = more throw in the same size reflector.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are actually IPX7 . I've done plenty of independent real world testing , submerging in water etc with no problems. On another note are these electronic switch or mechanical ? I like the mechanical switch due to no parasitic drain on the batteries.

The switch is mechanical, just like the old mags.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's nearly $40 at Grainger. Think I'll wait on SprawlMart.

My local Target suuuuuuuuuux for stuff like flashlights and fishing gear. Great clothing clearance rack though.

How bad does it suck?
The sporting goods section is combined with car care products on the same row.

I'm going there this weekend. Perhaps they'll have an actual Maglite product there. Or maybe some stretch denim Levis on the clearance rack. Stretch denim is an amazing invention for my creaky old joints.

Last edited: