HDS 16340 INR Batteries LiNiMnCoO2

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, for those who don't know battery chemistry, here is a link to the HDS FAQ. Scroll down to Batteries, then click on What are rechargeable lithium-ion batteries?
We have been working with a manufacturer to get 16340 INR batteries built. It seems that they are just not available in this size while being pretty common in the 18650 size.

After a long time testing both at HDS and from an independent person, we were quite pleased with the results and will be offering these soon. How soon? Well, they are "supposed to" arrive at HDS tomorrow. We will then need some time to get them on the web site and sample check a few, etc. etc. so most likely around May 21, 2019.

These are 700mah ( a real 700mah without exaggeration). They are currently listed in the FAQ as well, but here it is so you don't have to go looking it up.
screen-shot-2019-05-07-at-10-49-12.png

These do NOT have a protection circuit so using in another light is at your own risk. In fact, just DON'T use it another light. I said it. Don't. (Legally I have to say "Don't Freakin' Do It!!!") Other lights might very well kill this cell over discharging where the HDS has this built into the light, and some other lights might like to discharge this battery at rates that can cause issues (more legalese).

The initial test batch was 50 units that we have "consumed" and the shipment will be for a few hundred.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any clue how these will compare to these Fenix 16340 batteries?

Those are ICR (Lithium Cobalt Oxide) and not INR (Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide) batteries.

As far as capacity goes, these will be nearly identical. As far as reliability, INR do not require a protection circuit because of the inherent safety of the chemistry (also one less thing to go wrong). ICR must have a protection circuit in order to prevent a runaway thermal reaction because the chemistry is unstable. INR are much safer batteries (similar to IMR) but with the capacity of ICR.

If capacity is one's only concern, then the Fenix are just fine.

It should be noted as well that thermal runaway can also happen when charging, so the safety issue isn't just a matter of the right flashlight or having to have a protection circuit. INR is a much safer chemistry both when using in a light and charging.

Last edited:

toads

Newly Enlightened
Those are ICR (Lithium Cobalt Oxide) and not INR (Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide) batteries.

As far as capacity goes, these will be nearly identical. As far as reliability, INR do not require a protection circuit because of the inherent safety of the chemistry (also one less thing to go wrong). ICR must have a protection circuit in order to prevent a runaway thermal reaction because the chemistry is unstable. INR are much safer batteries (similar to IMR) but with the capacity of ICR.

If capacity is one's only concern, then the Fenix are just fine.

It should be noted as well that thermal runaway can also happen when charging, so the safety issue isn't just a matter of the right flashlight or having to have a protection circuit. INR is a much safer chemistry both when using in a light and charging.

Thanks Hogo, safety is definitely a concern. I live in a damn tinderbox and charge near my bed, I don't need anything catching fire.

Once the batteries are on your site I'll definitely give them a look.

I've been using the Ti rotary near every day since it came and the Duracell 123 is still kicking strong.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
They fit just fine and they are almost the same size as a regular cr123. But your link that you posted is useful nonetheless. I would be interested to get one of those new INR batteries, but they would have to be shipped with my Ti rotary because I live in Europe and shipping is expensive.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running these INR batteries in my EDC (325 NLT) and in my UV (find those little lobsters) for a month now. My UV didn't get much use until about a week ago. What has surprised me is that after I initially charged these and threw them in my lights, I haven't hit the first step down yet. With my old (very old) AW IMR batteries, my EDC would step down at least once per week (meaning throw it on the charger). Now, my AW's were OLD and well used so that is certainly to be considered, but I have yet to put these new INR's on the charger for their second charge after a month. I only use primaries as backups in my holsters, but I now I've moved to these INRs for backup as well.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed. Looking forward to comparing them to my 700 mAh Efest 16340's. I don't think the Efest cells can honestly compete with those specs.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
You may find the data interesting HERE
They appear to be 600mah from the testing... if these are the same as what you are using.

They seem to be the same. Good info there and good to know how they overrate the specs. Like I said, I would be interested in getting one or two of the new INR's, but only if it is possible adding them to my Ti rotary order.

If not, I may have to try them out at a later time.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think some of our international dealers will stock them when available.
Hopefully these will actually show up tomorrow, but I'm getting used to delays in manufacturing... doesn't mean I like it though.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAaaaaaaaaaand the batteries didn't arrive like they were supposed to.
Color me not surprised. Spoke with FedEx and sent an email off to the manufacturer.
This has been my world for the last year. Ugh!

GoVegan

Enlightened
I was expecting to see updated runtime specs for the new 16340 INR batteries, because previously (as detailed in the chart above) the INR cells don't seem to give the operator much (if any) notification that the battery is running low with gradual step-down time ("Elegant low battery warning"), as can be seen in the in the ANSI vs Tactical (down to 50 lumens) runtimes.

For example looking at the chart above for my EDC LE:

CR123, High (110 lumens)
2:45 mins down to 50 lumens
3:15 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 30 mins step-down between 50 to 25 lumens.

16340 INR, High (110 lumens)
2:15 mins down to 50 lumens
2:15 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 0 - <1 min step-down between 50 to 25 lumens, i.e. almost no advance warning (at least between these lumen outputs)

16340 IMR, High (110 lumens)
1:45 mins down to 50 lumens
1:30 mins down to 25 lumens
so with 15 mins step-down between 50 to 25 lumens.

Although to be fair, running maximum 250 lumens with the INR cell would give 4 mins warning between 50 - 25 lumens, so I estimate a bit more for the total step-down runtime from 250 lumens; plus you do get a longer overall runtime than with the IMR cell.

So although INR maybe one of the safest battery chemistries if doesn't seem to go down to well with the "Light to get you home" philosophy. I don't know, I'll just have to wait and see some runtime test data or do it myself.

BTW who is the manufacturer for these 16340 INR cells? If known we can then check to see if there are some reviews already out there.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Maybe a new caveat needs to be added:

HDS "The light that gets you home" *1

*1. When used with INR cells: "The light that gets you home, if you run quick"

:p

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fail to see the problem. I don't think anyone is being forced into using INR.
In fact nothing has changed, we're just being offered another option.
We all choose a light and fuel that will suit a particular situation.
If you want the ultimate in security, I imagine you'd choose primaries anyway.

P

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fail to see the problem. I don't think anyone is being forced into using INR.
In fact nothing has changed, we're just being offered another option.
We all choose a light and fuel that will suit a particular situation.
If you want the ultimate in security, I imagine you'd choose primaries anyway.

P

In my case primaries aren't an option at all. I m out in the sticks and if I can find them they are not cost effective. So far my Exposure UK 700 mah batteries have performed the best... then nitecore, then aw
I have some keep powers but they can only be used in the HDs.

GoVegan

Enlightened
No, no real problem, just an observation about the INR chemistry and the HDS electronics. It is certainly nice to have options, and every choice is a compromise, along the lines of mobility vs firepower.

I guess I'm pretty disappointed with battery technology advancement in general, with laptops and especially flashlights. After much thought I think my ideal light would be a HDS running a single 1AA Eneloop Pro, yes it would certainly take a hit in the runtime on maximum, but otherwise would be great. Well something to look forward to maybe later this year. ;)

In the meantime I may just prod along with primary cells, as my current usage is very minimal.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to FedEx, we should see the batteries at HDS today.
We will be busy shipping out the rest of the titanium and a couple other brass lights today.
Doubt you see them on the website for 2 weeks (mine, not Henry's) as I will be leaving town this upcoming weekend for the Overland Expo West event in Flagstaff. Woot! Woot!
img-3847.jpg
img-3846.jpg